RUS New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Spectral types & Luminosity classes
Spectral types & Luminosity classes
n3xtDate: Friday, 20.07.2012, 20:15 | Message # 1
Explorer
Group: Users
Netherlands
Hellooow fellow space addicted junkies :3

I just wonder although I'm not an expert in programming. But I thought it would be cool to add more types of luminosity classes in SE. For example maybe it's a good idea to add the marginal classes. And ofcourse the more varied ranges of colors of stars. I would suggest:

0 - Hypergiants (Actually I've never seen a star of this spectral type)

Ia-0 - Hypergiants or extremely luminous supergiants

Ia - Luminous supergiants

Iab - Bright supergiants (to fill the gap between Ia and Ib...)

Ib - Supergiants

II (IIa, IIab, IIb) - Bright giants

II-III or III-II (I know... might be confusing but it's really a step towards reality)

III (IIIa, IIIab, IIIb) - Giants

III-IV or IV-III etc...

IV (IVa, IVab, IVb) - Subgiants

V-IV or IV-V etc...

V (Va, Vab, Vb) - Since these stars are oficially refered to as main sequence stars except indeed for the lower mass stars (i.e. G, K, M, L, T, and a recent one spectral class ''Y'')

Perhaps it is appropriate to change the subdwarfs from VI to sd wich is commonly used

Another suggestion for colors maybe, for example:

Star: Capella A
Type: Yellow-white giant
Spectrum: G0 III

Or...

Star: Sirius A
Type: Blue-white main sequence star
Spectrum: A1 V

Star: Arcturus
Type: Orange-yellow giant
Spectrum: K2 III

Star: RS-4225-245-134-245 (lol random)
Type: Blue-white bright supergiant
Spectrum: B9.5 Iab-Ib

Star: Scooby Doo A
Type: Yellow-orange bright giant
Spectrum: G8 IIab

Star: Alnitak
Type: Blue supergiant
Spectrum: O9.7 Ib

Star: LBV 1806-20
Type: Luminous blue variable
Spectrum:

Star: Wezen
Type: Yellow-white luminous supergiant
Spectrum: F8 Ia

Star: SpaceEngineer For The Win biggrin
Type: Orange-red hypergiant
Spectrum: M2 Iae

Star: Can Anyone See Me? Hellooow I Feel Lonely... Aww man and I have to keep this on for trillions of years? Bwaaah...
Type: Red subdwarf
Spectrum: sdM9.5

Star: kurtjmac
Type: Blue-white extremely luminous supergiant
Spectrum: A0 Ia-0

And so on, and so on...

Just suggestions I wouldn't bother too much about it but it does appear nice...
Maybe another suggestion I would like to see in SE one day, although I don't mind if not is perhaps the idea of distances. For example:

Star: Sol
Type: Yellow-white main sequence star (yellow dwarf)
Distance: 326 ly (100 pc)
(PS: Maybe in the settings menu for example: ''Turn off/on lightyears'' For those that like to crack their minds by calculating such as me or for those that want simplicity)

Or maybe for AU aswell like: Distance: 1.000 AU (149.597.870 km)...

Sorry for my long posts, I'll turn off my batteries for a while now... wacko

Edited by n3xt - Friday, 20.07.2012, 20:27

anonymousgamerDate: Friday, 20.07.2012, 21:57 | Message # 2
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Almost all of the giants you mention are already in SpaceEngine. The only one I haven't seen is type Iab.

Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen
Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen

n3xtDate: Friday, 20.07.2012, 22:55 | Message # 3
Explorer
Netherlands
Well honestly I haven't seen anything else then these luminosity classes:

0 (I meant with I haven't seen this one for the real stars out there, cause they're typically Ia-0 or 0-Ia or Iae for hypergiants)

Ia

Ib (Alnitak: O9 Ib while it is actually O9.7 Ib)

II

III

IV (Procyon: F5 IV wich is actually F5 V-VI, a marginal class)

V

IV

D

Edited by n3xt - Saturday, 21.07.2012, 11:02

apenpaapDate: Saturday, 21.07.2012, 01:34 | Message # 4
World Builder
Antarctica
I've seen most of these, but not some of the subdivisions. And I think Y isn't yet supported (brown dwarfs in general aren't very streamlined yet in any case), but hopefully the missing classes will get added in future versions.

And as for the units, I'm hoping for the ability to use lightyears or Peta/Exa/Zetta/Yottametres as well, as well as a possibility of switching to Giga/Terametres instead of AUs on shorter distances in future versions too.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

n3xtDate: Saturday, 21.07.2012, 11:05 | Message # 5
Explorer
Netherlands
And I think Y isn't yet supported (brown dwarfs in general aren't very streamlined yet in any case)

In 2009, the coolest known brown dwarfs had estimated effective temperatures between 500 and 600 K, and have been assigned the spectral class T9. Three examples are the brown dwarfs CFBDS J005910.90-011401.3, ULAS J133553.45+113005.2, and ULAS J003402.77−005206.7.[11] The spectra of these objects display absorption around 1.55 micrometers.[11] Delorme et al. have suggested that this feature is due to absorption from ammonia and that this should be taken as indicating the T–Y transition, making these objects of type Y0.[11][12] However, the feature is difficult to distinguish from absorption by water and methane,[11] and other authors have stated that the assignment of class Y0 is premature.[13]

In April 2010, two newly discovered ultracool brown subdwarfs (UGPS 0722-05 and SDWFS 1433+35[14]) were proposed as prototypes for spectral class Y0.

(Source: Wikipedia, yeah I know Wiki is sometimes inaccurate, however who knows)

apenpaapDate: Saturday, 21.07.2012, 11:13 | Message # 6
World Builder
Antarctica
Yes, I know that. I meant in SpaceEngine.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 21.07.2012, 11:49 | Message # 7
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (n3xt)
yeah I know Wiki is sometimes inaccurate, however who knows

On science and particularly astronomy articles it is usually quite accurate. And there are source citations in most cases (as there were in your quote), so you can verify the veracity and reliability of the statements being made.

Quote (apenpaap)
And as for the units, I'm hoping for the ability to use lightyears or Peta/Exa/Zetta/Yottametres as well

I'm pretty sure SpaceEngineer has said that he plans to implement something like this in the future. I hope so anyway, I really want to have light years as an option. Parsec is an annoying, arbitrary, terracentric unit.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

apenpaapDate: Saturday, 21.07.2012, 11:57 | Message # 8
World Builder
Antarctica
^Technically, the lightyear is just as terracentric, though, being based on the year. tongue I like it, however, because it being roughly equal to 10^16 metres means it fits decently into the metric system, better than the parsec.

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 21.07.2012, 15:57 | Message # 9
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (apenpaap)
terracentric, though, being based on the year

Partly. But it is also based on the speed of light, which isn't an arbitrary choice of reference. The parsec is terracentric in that it is based on the size of Earth's orbit, and arbitrary in that the measurement of 1 arc second has no universal significance at all. And it really is useless beyond the realm of Earth-based observational astronomy.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Saturday, 21.07.2012, 15:57

n3xtDate: Saturday, 21.07.2012, 18:00 | Message # 10
Explorer
Netherlands
yeah I know Wiki is sometimes inaccurate, however who knows

Haha, that's why I said ''sometimes'' tongue

But I get your point and your right biggrin

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Spectral types & Luminosity classes
Page 1 of 11
Search: