RUS New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Luminosity/glow maps for spacecraft/planets
Luminosity/glow maps for spacecraft/planets
Destructor1701Date: Wednesday, 18.07.2012, 20:07 | Message # 1
Pioneer
Group: Users
Ireland
So thrilled to be able to fly spacecraft now! It's added a whole new dimension to the fun of exploration.
I've spent hours with my nephew exploring star systems and perfecting orbital trajetories.

There are some fantastic ship mods already, and I'd like to make my own.

It'd be great to be able to see window, engine, and heatsync glow from spacecraft.

As I understand it, you just need a texture map where, for certain values (the white value), the renderer ignores the lighting, and draws them full-bright. The bloom system already in Space Engine would then take care of the prettification of the light.

I know some games use the alpha channel in the textures as the Luminance designator, while others have an overlay map.

It'd come in very handy for planets with intelligent life, you could have the terrain generator pepper a few sparkly towers here and there for cities, and the benefits for pre-defined planets are obvious.

Is this something that we are likely to see in 0.97, or is it a feature I have missed in 0.96?

Edited by Destructor1701 - Wednesday, 18.07.2012, 20:12

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 18.07.2012, 21:12 | Message # 2
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Destructor1701, it has been stated many times by SpaceEngineer that this feature will exist for both spacecraft and planets in future versions. In which version they will be introduced I cannot say.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Destructor1701Date: Thursday, 19.07.2012, 01:38 | Message # 3
Pioneer
Group: Users
Ireland
Apologies, I must have missed that.

Glad to hear it, though.

Edited by Destructor1701 - Thursday, 19.07.2012, 01:38

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Luminosity/glow maps for spacecraft/planets
Page 1 of 11
Search: