[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Premade planets
Premade planets
Tspk91Date: Friday, 13.07.2012, 16:32 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
Spain
I have noticed that the procedural generation isnt used at all in any of the planets of the solar system. Wouldnt it be possible to use the elevation and color data and the procedural generation at the same time? I guess it uses many octaves of noise functions, if you use only the higher frequency (only smaller features) the terrain would be more interesting. You could weight the functions based on altitude, and color palette, so that the dune formations are more pronounced in deserts, and steep mountains in mountains. Then, you could use the planet texture as a base for the texture generation. I have seen other program, outerra, that does this. Its a bit strange that every planet that is outside the solar system has a good resolution and the ones inside the solar system not. (even with high res heightmap its still worse than the procedural planets)

Edited by Tspk91 - Friday, 13.07.2012, 16:34

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 13.07.2012, 16:45 | Message # 2
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
You can currently create a procedural surface based on height data, but its resolution is still limited based on the resolution of the height map, and there is currently no way to map the colors of the procedural surface to a real map.

Even Outerra does not determine surface coloration by real textures. Instead, it uses different programmed biomes that are made to simulate their real world counterparts, so when the surface is zoned properly with these biomes it should look from space like it is made from a real map.

On the subject of Outerra, I think one of the most impressive things about is the ability to adjust atmospheric parameters in real time (I had fun making Earth look like Mars one time). I would love to have this ability in SpaceEngine.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

TalismanDate: Saturday, 14.07.2012, 07:13 | Message # 3
Pioneer
Group: Users
United States
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
You can currently create a procedural surface based on height data, but its resolution is still limited based on the resolution of the height map, and there is currently no way to map the colors of the procedural surface to a real map.

Perhaps there should be a setting to enable an almost completely procedurally generated Earth, aside from very distinct height map ares like mountains. cool

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
On the subject of Outerra, I think one of the most impressive things about is the ability to adjust atmospheric parameters in real time (I had fun making Earth look like Mars one time). I would love to have this ability in SpaceEngine.

Ah yes, I loved making a "creepy" green/dark atmospheres and making scary pictures in photoshop on it. cool

Here's an example:

Edited by Talisman - Saturday, 14.07.2012, 07:15

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Saturday, 14.07.2012, 08:01 | Message # 4
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Whoa that really is creepy looking.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 14.07.2012, 11:21 | Message # 5
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Implementing the support of procedural landscape based on predefined maps requires a lot of work: cubic interpolation of heightmap (so there will be no blocking artifact), determining the landscape form to apply suitable fractal function (so mountains will use ridged multifractal, canyons - canyon function, etc), determining surface type based on global image color (so green areas will use trees and grass texture, deserts - sand texture, etc), also some adjustable controls required for special landforms (for example, small craters on the Moon should be spread across its surface, but with lower density on the mare area).

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Premade planets
Page 1 of 11
Search: