[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Orbital Precession
Orbital Precession
TheVino3Date: Saturday, 29.11.2014, 08:21 | Message # 1
Space Tourist
Group: Users
Australia
I know your policy of "if its a real thing in the universe it will be added", but will we be seeing orbital precession in the near future?

You already have planetary precession modeled, but without introducing actual orbital physics, would it be possible to model the precession of orbits? As a layman in terms of code writing, would it just be a simple matter of adding some code that allows you to set a period through which the periapsis moves through 360 degrees?

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 29.11.2014, 12:55 | Message # 2
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Orbit tag supports parameters AscNodePreces and ArgOfPeriPreces, units - period of full cycle in years. But this may glitch, I haven't debug it during years.

TheVino3Date: Saturday, 06.12.2014, 11:26 | Message # 3
Space Tourist
Group: Users
Australia
Oh, interesting! I will have a play, hopefully its not too buggy. It'd be a cool thing to have working, as implementing actual physical simulation of mass is probably not worth it, in my opinion - not in an exploration program like this, too much effort for too little gain as far as most users are concerned. But modelling the "evolution" of systems with simple code like this can give some life to the systems without any performance loss.

Cheers

Added (06.12.2014, 10:26)
---------------------------------------------
Is it all likely to see this debugged for 0.9.7.2? I have no idea how hard that is/how long it would take, but if not then I'm happy to wait for the patch after that.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Orbital Precession
Page 1 of 11
Search: