Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Team up with the creator of the game Species?
Team up with the creator of the game Species?
TheBasementNerdDate: Sunday, 02.11.2014, 22:40 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
There's a game called Species, currently in free alpha (much like Space Engine) that is based around creation of a 3D evolutionary simulation of life based on things like food source, temperatures, height of land, age, and it runs amazingly well. One thing that I thought would be a rather great idea, is if the creator of Space Engine teamed up with Species to end up creating evolutionary life on planets that have life. Many of the factors that judges how species evolve in Species are already around in Space Engine (water, temperature, rough plant estimation, planets with life) and so I was thinking that if the two shared code they could work together to create a game that ran with the full size of the universe and life within it. Anyone think this sounds fun? As both at are a roughly similar stage in development, I thought it would be great to watch the two of them work together on such a project

Joey_PenguinDate: Monday, 03.11.2014, 03:09 | Message # 2
Pioneer
Group: Users
United States
It sounds like a dream game, but, well...

Careful. The PLATT Collective has spurs.

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 03.11.2014, 03:48 | Message # 3
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
It wouldn't work. It would require that every planet with life have its evolution simulation take place from the beginning, which would take an extremely long time for all but the youngest planets.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

TheBasementNerdDate: Monday, 03.11.2014, 15:24 | Message # 4
Observer
United States
What if the evolution ran in a specific way, but with a seed to randomly decide how it would continue to turn out? That way you could simply check at what point the evolution should be, and it would still be random for each planet

JCandeiasDate: Monday, 03.11.2014, 17:15 | Message # 5
Pioneer
Group: Translators
Portugal
That wouldn't be scientifically accurate. Biological evolution has everything to do with the best adaptation of living things to their environment, and this means you can't have an overall structure that could be applied to any and all planets. Different environments will produce different beings, and there are almost infinite variations in environmental parameters in SE planets and moons.

They let me use this!

TheBasementNerdDate: Monday, 03.11.2014, 21:49 | Message # 6
Observer
United States
Well I mean, then run the seed through an algorithm or whatnot that's individually designed for each planet? Since the planets have set factors about them, you could set up a formula that could plug into each planet in some form, couldn't you?

JCandeiasDate: Tuesday, 04.11.2014, 00:13 | Message # 7
Pioneer
Group: Translators
Portugal
Nope.

You can't design an algorythm individually for every planet — that would mean billions of algorythms — and evolution is as much about adaptation to the environment as it is about sheer randomness. You can't reduce it to a formula. You need to simulate it and let the simulation run, and that demands computational power that is way beyond what can be done today.

There's a reason why Species has such small maps and such a limited number of organisms: computers can't handle much more. A single planet in Space Engine is way larger than that, and there are billions and billions of them.

What you ask for is simply not possible. And won't be at least for a few decades.

They let me use this!

Edited by JCandeias - Tuesday, 04.11.2014, 00:42

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Team up with the creator of the game Species?
Page 1 of 11
Search: