Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Laptops: Anti-HeatShutdown Feature? (Preventing the Heat Shutdown of Laptops)
Laptops: Anti-HeatShutdown Feature?
A good idea?
1.Yes.[ 1 ][11.11%]
2.Hmm...[ 2 ][22.22%]
3.No.[ 6 ][66.67%]
Answers total: 9
HirnsausenDate: Tuesday, 28.10.2014, 16:29 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Users
Jamaica
Hi, like many others, I use only a laptop right now. I tried to start the game, and - oh gosh - my laptop was shutting down to prevent overheating!

Why not to have a feature inside the game that can access the CPU temperature, and (if enabled in the settings of the game) automatically lowers the graphic settings and screen resolution until the temperature remains stable or even goes down? This would be a very progressive feature, and I am sure, other games will copy that feature.

In some cases, overheating might not be preventable, based on the laptop type, but in many cases, it might help. This feature can be enabled or disabled.

Edited by Hirnsausen - Wednesday, 29.10.2014, 04:00

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Tuesday, 28.10.2014, 16:42 | Message # 2
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
I think you'd be better off investing in a cooling pad or using a laptop specifically designed for high end gaming.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

SpaceEngineerDate: Tuesday, 28.10.2014, 18:20 | Message # 3
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
You must clear your laptop off dust. Shutdown is not normal. Any laptop is designed to operate at full load, of course if its cooling system is not blocked out by dust.

anonymousgamerDate: Tuesday, 28.10.2014, 18:36 | Message # 4
World Builder
United States
A laptop should throttle, not shut down. Shutting down is a bad sign.

Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen
Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen

HirnsausenDate: Wednesday, 29.10.2014, 04:04 | Message # 5
Observer
Jamaica
Ohhh, I never knew those things. Thanks. Well, I had ordered from Ebay two things, three weeks ago: a cooling pad with three fans, and also an exhaust sped-up (external fan outside the exhaust to get hot air faster outside). I just wait for the things to arrive.

I also clean often against dust.

But it is not right, to have to buy a new system, just to b e able to play a game. Better, to find solutions with an existing system. Imagine, you own a normal car, but one day you wake up too late and will be belated at your work place if you don't drive with over 400 km/h from your home to that place. Would you purchase a racing car just because of that, or wouldn't you keep your existing car and make sure, you wake up in time, in the future? :-)

I don't know, how often overheating occurs with others, but I still think, a feature like that might be a good idea.

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 29.10.2014, 04:10 | Message # 6
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote Hirnsausen ()
But it is not right, to have to buy a new system, just to b e able to play a game.

This is impossible. Software advances all the time, as does hardware. You cannot expect all software to be compatible with your system, no matter how low-spec it is. Just imagine running even a relatively simple modern game, like Minecraft, on a computer from 1988. It would be impossible. To achieve a particular result, you must have hardware capable of producing that result.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

WatsisnameDate: Wednesday, 29.10.2014, 04:37 | Message # 7
Galaxy Architect
United States
I'm basically going to mirror what everyone else already said. It is unfortunate if you have to upgrade or buy a new system to run SpaceEngine, but, well, that's just how it is. Computer software and hardware are continually growing more advanced with time, and latest software doesn't necessarily work well with older systems. And SpaceEngine is pretty demanding on hardware even by modern standards. There is only so much that can be done to reduce its resource demand.

And no, I strongly disagree with the suggestion of having an option to disable automatic overheat detection and shutdown. The shutdown is the computer's last resort to prevent irreversible damage to its components. It is NOT wise to disable it, or to continue using software that makes it do that. If I was a programmer I would never endorse such a feature on my software even if it came with a giant disclaimer that said "we cannot be held liable for any damage incurred to your system while running this."

HirnsausenDate: Wednesday, 29.10.2014, 06:18 | Message # 8
Observer
Jamaica
No, now I am misunderstood: I would never want to disable the shutdown feature of a laptop. Never.

What I meant is to be able to enable or disable the feature OF THE GAME to detect upcoming overheating and to make changes on the graphic features of the game settings in order to be less demanding on the laptop.

Edited by Hirnsausen - Wednesday, 29.10.2014, 06:19

WatsisnameDate: Wednesday, 29.10.2014, 10:06 | Message # 9
Galaxy Architect
United States
It's my bad; I was in a rush reading your post and totally did misunderstand. Sorry mate.

Such a feature would make sense, but I think it's a really bad situation if it actually has to be used.

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 29.10.2014, 13:24 | Message # 10
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote Hirnsausen ()
What I meant is to be able to enable or disable the feature OF THE GAME to detect upcoming overheating and to make changes on the graphic features of the game settings in order to be less demanding on the laptop.

The game didn't need to detect overheating and reduce performance, because hardware already do that. This is called throttling. It skips the CPU cycles - this reduces performance and prevents from additional heating. On Intel chips, it started at 100°C. If even this didn't help, then system shutting down.

Shutting down due to overheating is not normal, you should check you laptop carefully. You have really serious problem with cooling. Disassemble it, clean up radiators and cooler, replace the thermal compound between the radiator and CPU and GPU with a new one. Old compound have bad thermal conductivity, this may be a your problem.

apenpaapDate: Wednesday, 29.10.2014, 13:33 | Message # 11
World Builder
Antarctica
Have you tried a program like SpeedFan? It monitors fan speeds and temperatures, and allows you to manually set fan speeds too. It can help with overheating troubles.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

HirnsausenDate: Wednesday, 29.10.2014, 14:40 | Message # 12
Observer
Jamaica
A good spirit here in this forum, thanks again for all new responses.

Apenpaap, I will try to get that program.

SpaceEngineer, on my laptop a temperature of 95°C triggers the shutdown, not even 100°C. I would get warnings before, but cannot see them when inside a game (that is why the laptop shuts down "without" warning for me), thus my idea.

I ordered already a cooling pad with three fans, and also a speed-up fan for my hot air exhaust. Just waiting until they arrive (ordered from Ebay). For now, I will try to use that SpeedFan software mentioned above.

Added (29.10.2014, 13:40)
---------------------------------------------
Okay, found the software, installed it. But sadly, my system seems not to allow the change of the fan speed. So I have to wait for the two Ebay items to arrive...

Edited by Hirnsausen - Wednesday, 29.10.2014, 14:31

form_d_kDate: Wednesday, 29.10.2014, 22:35 | Message # 13
Astronaut
United States
I have an HP laptop with an ATI 7850M video card. The video card is decent, but I've wrestled with switchable graphics issues from the start. Unfortunately, the custom drivers needed for it haven't been updated since 2012.

To fix a lot of the issues, I rolled back to an older driver. It immediately started overheating. I had to use MSI Afterburner to underclock it. sad

HirnsausenDate: Thursday, 30.10.2014, 05:14 | Message # 14
Observer
Jamaica
So I am not alone in the wild. Good to know. :-)

TheBasementNerdDate: Monday, 03.11.2014, 15:48 | Message # 15
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
There's also the simple fact that, hey, it's a rather high power game. This thing takes a large amount of graphics and CPU power for the way it runs. Really, either get a cooling pad like suggested or you're just gonna have to upgrade. It's a beta game still

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Laptops: Anti-HeatShutdown Feature? (Preventing the Heat Shutdown of Laptops)
Page 1 of 11
Search: