RUS New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 212»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Spacecraft Mode - Rotating around ship
Spacecraft Mode - Rotating around ship
NeonDate: Wednesday, 25.05.2011, 16:01 | Message # 1
Explorer
Group: SE team
Australia
Hey Vova,

Could you please add 2 keys to Rotate the viewpoint around
the current position please? Currently the only method we
have of Rotating is rotating around the currently centered
object with the Mouse, bu that only revolves the camera
around the selected object, rather than rotating the camera (ship).

The other thing it needs is pitch control.

Two possible ways of doing this:

1. Add rotate keys to rotate view or

2. Key to disconnect current Centering on current selected object & rotate current view
around current camera position (ship).

The 1st option would be much more intuitive.

I can't find any method for doing this at the moment
in SE.

Thanks Neon

Edited by Neon - Thursday, 26.05.2011, 17:25

NeonDate: Thursday, 26.05.2011, 17:45 | Message # 2
Explorer
Group: SE team
Australia
Disregard this, I found there are controls for this. smile

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 26.05.2011, 23:47 | Message # 3
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
smile

This is left drag by mouse instead of right drag that you use to rotate around planet. In addition, you can use numpad keys to rotate.

RobbieDate: Sunday, 17.07.2011, 10:37 | Message # 4
Pioneer
Group: Global Moderators
United Kingdom
Would it be possible to have an option in the config file to switch the right drag mouse button from 'rotate around selected object' (the current method), to rotating around the center of our viewpoint. This would be our 'free look' mode while travalling forward in space. This would offer another choice to the player, a preference to have one or the other. Can it be done?

Or alternatively, have both methods implemented. Question is though: how would one assign 'free look' to a mouse button that's already in use. Maybe 'CRTL+right drag mouse,' could work ?

Quad Core i7 930 CPU o/c 3.8 GHz - 6GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM - ATI HD 5870 1024Mb - Intel SSD X25-M Gen 2 - Win 7 64-bit
Add Your PC Spec To Your Signature Or Post It Here

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 17.07.2011, 15:52 | Message # 5
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
I'll say it again: left drag is the rotation of the camera itself, right drag is the rotation around a selected object.

RobbieDate: Sunday, 17.07.2011, 18:14 | Message # 6
Pioneer
United Kingdom
Perhaps I'm not being clear in how I'm writing this.

I fully understand that the left drag does the rotation of camera, but in your 'free flight mode' (1 key) it also turns you in that direction when moving forward holding the 'w' key down. What I am trying to suggest here is to be able to look around while flying forward. It's analogous to driving a car along a straight road with our foot on the accelerator (our 'W' key), while turning our head to see what is left or right of us (our CRTL+right drag), while still driving in a straight line along that road. smile

That's why I am suggestion using the mouse 'CRTL+right drag' to do this look 'left or right' as in my car analogy. This is what I meant by 'free look' but it would be used to see in all directions while flying in a forward direction. I hope this clarifies my previous post better. smile

Quad Core i7 930 CPU o/c 3.8 GHz - 6GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM - ATI HD 5870 1024Mb - Intel SSD X25-M Gen 2 - Win 7 64-bit

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 18.07.2011, 00:23 | Message # 7
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Yes, that description is better. Now I understand what you are saying. I will think about it.
Currently, to look left I just turn camera left and simultaneously change view holding W key and D key together (to move right). This is like in a FPS games, when looking around while running across a field and you do not want to stop or change direction while moving foward.

RobbieDate: Saturday, 13.08.2011, 19:38 | Message # 8
Pioneer
United Kingdom
SpaceEngineer, have you thought anymore about including this 'free look' mode using [CRTL]+[right drag]? Will you be including it in your next release?

I was thinking some more on this: If you do include a 'free look' mode, I think it would be better to have it assigned to the [right mouse button] and have the 'rotation around selected object' assigned to the [CRTL]+[right drag] instead. Having 'Free look' without the [CTRL] key would be easier when we're using the WASD keys. I suggest this because 'rotation around a selected object' seems to get mostly used while in a stationary position, so it kinda makes sense to have it on the [CTRL]+[right drag] instead.

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 14.08.2011, 01:10 | Message # 9
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
What do you mean? Backview/sideview using mouse instead of keys?

RobbieDate: Monday, 15.08.2011, 13:30 | Message # 10
Pioneer
United Kingdom
As I iterated above: We would use the mouse for 'free look' for rotating our viewpoint to see around in all directions. The fixed viewpoints for rear-view and side-views etc would still need to be assigned to their own keys, as we discussed in our other thread here.

I hope I've clarified this for you. smile

---------------------------------------------
Added (15.08.2011, 16:30)
updated: Found this youtube video, the first 20 seconds better explains what I mean by the camera 'free look' mode, albeit the camera is in the cockpit of the spaceship, but the same would apply to SE's camera control without a ship.

Edited by Robbie - Monday, 15.08.2011, 13:33

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 15.08.2011, 19:10 | Message # 11
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Ok, I understand. You want to control the mode with inertia motion but with no-inertia while rotating?

RobbieDate: Tuesday, 16.08.2011, 10:48 | Message # 12
Pioneer
United Kingdom
I think I understand what you're saying: I'm assuming you'll apply this then to your 'spectator' (or free flight) mode as well as 'spacecraft' and 'aircraft' flight inertia modes. I thought the video link would be helpful to you, as it shows the spaceship flying with forward velocity while the camera in the cockpit was looking around in all directions. In addition to their rotating view, Evochron also uses fixed viewpoints for left, right, top, bottom and rear view.

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 17.08.2011, 08:15 | Message # 13
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
But how does one control acceleration vector in this mode? Without a cockpit or some markers it is impossible to know in what direction the "ship nose" is pointing. if you press W key the "main engines" engage, and your "ship" starts to accelerate forward. But if you look left in your suggested mode, the acceleration of W key would look like acceleration in right direction. The way to fix this issue is by forcing forward look then user press any acceleration key (smooth auto-rotate the camera to current "nose" direction). But this will be not usable in some scenes.

RobbieDate: Wednesday, 17.08.2011, 17:02 | Message # 14
Pioneer
United Kingdom
Perhaps you should have an on-screen reticle for the camera then, so that the player gets some information about orientation while flying.

To add to your idea: If the WASD keys are being used for movement, why not --when the [right drag] button is released from free look-- force the camera back to the direction movement of the last WASD key pressed? I can't see that being a problem. Although, I guess it's something you'll need to test out in the engine to see if it looks right, otherwise I don't know what else to suggest here.

--------------------------------------------
Added (17.08.2011, 20:02)

update: I forgot to elaborate on something else:

Have you considered changing the way turning could be controlled in free mode. Instead of holding the left mouse button down and dragging it to turn, how about letting the mouse pointer do the turning itself without pressing the left button. The left mouse button would be used for still selecting objects, and the middle mouse button would be used to toggle/switch between 'turning mode' and 'menu select' mode. If I remember correctly the game Freelancer used this switching technique for flying/selecting object and UI control to very good effect.

Edited by Robbie - Wednesday, 17.08.2011, 17:02

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 18.08.2011, 06:29 | Message # 15
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
I'll think about it. I will experiment with inversion of left button mode: If it's released, engine works in rotation mode, if it's pressed, the cursor appears on the screen and allows you to select object. Is that mode usable?

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Spacecraft Mode - Rotating around ship
Page 1 of 212»
Search: