RUS New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Speed of light and dimension of Universe
Speed of light and dimension of Universe
boyan3001Date: Tuesday, 18.10.2011, 23:20 | Message # 1
Astronaut
Group: Users
Serbia
Is it possible to simulate an visualise effect of traveling great distances on the speeds beyond the speed of light? What I mean... Distances of Universe is enormusly huge, so huge that the speed of light looks like a speed of snail. If some object is bilion of light years away from us, spectators, that means that what we see there is objects past... and we have no clue of actual state of the Universe. If we travel at speed of light and greater, we should see some effect of speed up events that occur in direction of move.
Is possible to simulate this effect?

I guess that it could be implemented if you can simulate motion of stars in galaxies and galaxies itself. Am I missing something?

Realno...

TalismanDate: Tuesday, 18.10.2011, 23:57 | Message # 2
Pioneer
United States
That sounds really hard to simulate from a programming standpoint. I think it's fine the way it is, the way stars zoom by even though they would probably be in other positions and dead or supernova'd.

boyan3001Date: Wednesday, 19.10.2011, 01:46 | Message # 3
Astronaut
Serbia
Programing and calculation point I guess. It's hard, but it could be ultimate expirience.

Realno...

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 19.10.2011, 02:39 | Message # 4
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
It is nearly impossible to simulate motion of stars, rotation and evolution of galaxies, in periods of billions years. But simulating of visual effects of Relativity (the Doppler shift, the aberration, the time slowing) are simple enough. It can be implemented as post-effect. It is very similar to black hole effect. I mean proper effect, not these simple distortion that was made in SpaceEngine. The proper effect is in my TODO list.

You can look on black hole effect, effect of sub-light motion, and more other stuff in this site:
Space Time Travel – Relativity Visualized

boyan3001Date: Sunday, 23.10.2011, 00:26 | Message # 5
Astronaut
Serbia
Thanks for the link, good stuff.

I miss the main point about simulating such large mass motion. Gravity infulence inbetween. Is it possible to heavily simplify this motion? In example, to group stars in clusters and than calculate cluster on cluster influence. Just to get some galaxy motion?

Realno...

neutronium76Date: Sunday, 23.10.2011, 04:16 | Message # 6
World Builder
Greece
I miss the main point about simulating such large mass motion. Gravity infulence inbetween. Is it possible to heavily simplify this motion? In example, to group stars in clusters and than calculate cluster on cluster influence. Just to get some galaxy motion?

check http://universesandbox.com/
go buy the product its only 10 $ - its worth it
then go and try to build a galaxy from scratch and continusly keep adding stars around its central black hole. You will see that after a few (10-50) objects have been added the sim frame rate drops to unplayable levels (1-2 fps). Now imagine calculating the orbits of billions of objects (who also have objects around them, who may also have additional objects wacko ...

Yes that would be THE ultimate experience indeed but it is impossible with current computing power and programming abilities wink

On a different (but not totally different) matter now:
Space Engineer I would like to ask a question: Is it be possible, when you accelerate time (by pressing "L" button), to proportionally "accelerate" velocity? What I mean:
I personally don't like travelling at speeds beyond "c" because it violates the laws of physics. So I choose to travel at a fraction of "c" say 50%c. Now in 1x time, interstellar travel would take 2 years per light year. But if you could accelerate time to say 1x10-6 or more it would only take a few minutes. There could be a feature that would slow down time close to a star (say 100 AU and bellow it will be a max of 100000x, 10AU - 10000x etc..) but during interstellar travel you would be able to use "full throttle" of 10-6 or more. Obviously this sets implications on game events progression but it also increases realism. Imagine travelling to a distant system only to find that it had just been supernova'd or hit by massive asteroids etc.. Or imagine going to a distand system and coming back to your home to find that your base / planet / world no longer exists wacko .

Ps: Shall I start a new thread or not about that??

PC1:Core i7 970@3.34GHz, 6 cores/12 threads, 12GB DDR3 RAM@1.34GHz, 2x(SLI) GTX-580 GPUs 3GB VRAM(GDDR5)@1GHz, OS:Win7x64SP1
PC2:Core2Quad X9770@3.2GHz, 2 cores/4 threads 4GB DDR2 RAM@1GHz, GTX-285 GPU 1GB VRAM(DDR3)@1.24GHz, OS:WinVistax64SP2

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 23.10.2011, 04:43 | Message # 7
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote (boyan3001)

This is the way modern super N-body simulations like Millenium simulation or galaxy collision modelling is used. Supercomputers are allowed to run simulations with billions of particles. But in the interactive game, and on a common PC, I've limited it to several thousand particles, even using CUDA or OpenCL. This means that I can model rotation/collision of galaxies on level with huge chunks of stars, or have volumes with several hundreds of millions of stars in them. Inside, those stars chunks will be fixed or animated by some law to create the illusion of continuous motion. Anyway, there is two big problems: How to handle such animated stars in the galaxy's generating/rendering engine. And how to handle thousands of galaxies (or even trillions in entire procedural universe) that would have to be animated simultaneously.

Quote (neutronium76)
Space Engineer I would like to ask a question: Is it be possible, when you accelerate time (by pressing "L" button), to proportionally "accelerate" velocity? What I mean:

Yes it is possible. It may be added as a feature that could be disabled. But in the game will be spaceships with a hyperjump drive, because it is impossible to create an online game where every player can accelerate time to its own factor...

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Speed of light and dimension of Universe
Page 1 of 11
Search: