Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Dj's Suggestions (just a collection of ideas I had for SE.)
Dj's Suggestions
djrodwDate: Tuesday, 07.01.2014, 02:06 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
let me start by saying that nothing I suggest here is demanded, its just a bunch of ideas I have had over the past few months of using SE, that I believe would improve things a bit and perhaps make navigating easier! use these ideas all you want... change them, ignore them, love them, hate them... it matters not to me as SE is simply the most amazing software I have ever used, I just want to contribute in the only way I know how!

Ship Navigation-

Currently when you target a system for a hyperspace jump (ie "go to"), your ship is just flung straight at the star, or planet. Gravity takes over and you begin to fall into the object. The idea I have to stop this from happening can take place in map mode and is similar to Kerbal Space Program's Maneuver Nodes.

In the map view, you would select a star, center on it so you can zoom in on the system, then select a planet. The UI would present you a line (coming from your origin point in space). That line would terminate at the your Apoapsis. Call that Node A! It could be represented by a simple dot, or a circle or any number of symbols to clearly mark it as the Apoapsis. The node could be clicked and dragged around to adjust the ships orbital altitude, the same could be done with the Periapsis node "node P". The simulation could do the work of figuring out the optimal speed for the orbit to work given the gravitational effects upon exiting Hyperspace next to the object. In effect you could specifically target a body in space, perform a hyperspace jump to it, and exit hyperspace in a stable orbit all in one go. Once you have selected both Apoapsis and Periapsis height, you can hit the "go to" button and watch the magic unfold!

an example from Earth to Barnards star, after selecting the star, but before selecting a final destination!

Orbital insertion point, Nodes could be dragged around to adjust orbital altitudes for both apo and peri nodes.

Journey Log (exported to txt files or whatever works)

There is already a sort of journey log showing where a you have already been, but the idea I have had is specifically generated by the user him/herself. the idea is to have a small non descript button somewhere on the UI, where if pressed (clicked) a small dialog box would pop up where the user can "name" the object they have selected. the dialog box could contain two fields "name" and "notes". The user then inputs a name for the object, and can write a small test note describing... well, anything the user wants. once finished the user could hit a "OK" or "save" button that would add the entry to a text file. The text file could then be shared publically or with friends or whatever. The idea is that SE would import the text file as a journey log so that other users can retrace the steps of the one who created the file. In addition to retracing the steps, the user would see the contents of each entry (ie. names and notes) by hitting another button next to the Save button.

I don't know how this would work exactly as I am no coder, and I don't know if everyone's universe in SE is the same across computers. but if they are the same on all machines then this would be a nice little addition for those who are more creative.

If you like these ideas, I have a LOT more and will share them over time when I figure out how to explain them and or create ref pictures to help with explanations!

Attachments: 2551793.jpg(235Kb) · 7973404.jpg(66Kb)

Edited by djrodw - Tuesday, 07.01.2014, 02:15

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Tuesday, 07.01.2014, 03:12 | Message # 2
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote djrodw ()
The user then inputs a name for the object, and can write a small test note describing... well, anything the user wants. once finished the user could hit a "OK" or "save" button that would add the entry to a text file. The text file could then be shared publically or with friends or whatever.

We have a system like this already. It isn't completely finished but you can name the worlds you discover and if you wanted you could upload your wiki.

Here is a procedural oceanic world I just found

Press I to bring up the wiki

Then click the edit button and rename it

You can find the file in the locale folder. Whatever language you are running the program in is where it will be saved. "***-db.cfg"
PObject
{
LocName "Aqua 1.6"
Name "RS 8409-1792-7-1075239-65 1.6"
Parent "RS 8409-1792-7-1075239-65 1"
Pioneer "Doc"
Date "2014.01.07 02:06:44.21"
}

Then anyone could add this to their game.

Quote djrodw ()
I don't know if everyone's universe in SE is the same across computers.

Everyone's universe is the same

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Edited by DoctorOfSpace - Tuesday, 07.01.2014, 03:21

djrodwDate: Tuesday, 07.01.2014, 03:24 | Message # 3
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
How have I not seen that! Can you add description, and/or other info? Like a short paragraph long story for example to the wiki for a given object?

DisasterpieceDate: Tuesday, 07.01.2014, 03:28 | Message # 4
World Builder
Group: Users
United States
Yes, but at the time you have to edit it manually in the locale file. In the future, there will be a built in text editor.

I play teh spase engien

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Tuesday, 07.01.2014, 03:32 | Message # 5
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote djrodw ()
Can you add description, and/or other info?

Yes you can once you save it to the database file you need to add something like this

PObject
{
LocName "Aqua 1.6"
Name "RS 8409-1792-7-1075239-65 1.6"
Parent "RS 8409-1792-7-1075239-65 1"
Pioneer "Doc"
Date "2014.01.07 02:06:44.21"
Descr "[big]Aqua[/big]

A random Ocean world

}

Then when you go in game it should appear

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Edited by DoctorOfSpace - Tuesday, 07.01.2014, 03:33

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 07.01.2014, 07:24 | Message # 6
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
Yes you can once you save it to the database file you need to add something like this

Just don't forget to close the quotes in the description.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Dj's Suggestions (just a collection of ideas I had for SE.)
Page 1 of 11
Search: