RUS New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Star population Metallicity and Blue Stragglers (Suggestion for Star generation)
Star population Metallicity and Blue Stragglers
qbalrogDate: Saturday, 04.01.2014, 17:49 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
I love the engine- fantastic idea and execution.

One of the things I'd like to see is star generation by Population. For instance, most star clusters contain population II stars, with low amounts of elements beyond helium (Metallicity), so they would probably have fewer rocky planets. But globular clusters are so crowded, stars do sometimes collide creating short lived blue stars (blue stragglers).

It would be interesting to have an option to follow current understanding of star populations (Population I, II, III).

Thanks and great job with Space Engine!

FaceDeerDate: Saturday, 04.01.2014, 22:02 | Message # 2
Space Pilot
Group: Users
Canada
Heh. One of the first things I did when I went intergalactic exploring was to poke around a globular cluster looking for blue stragglers. I'd love to see them added, though I would imagine that systems formed by the merger of two Pop II stars are highly unlikely to have any planets left in them (if they even had any to begin with). The halo and core of spiral galaxies are also largely pop II.

I'm sure system metallicity is going to be added at some point, it's such a fundamental characteristic for realism that it'd be unavoidable. It'll let us have other fun things too like carbon planets.

jmoran582Date: Tuesday, 07.01.2014, 18:02 | Message # 3
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
I've asked SpaceEngineer a similar question about open clusters, which are generally young and filled with stars all roughly the same age (Beehive Cluster = 700-900 x10^6, for example). Right now RS and RSC stars are treated the same. This doesn't really affect the visual experience though.

apenpaapDate: Tuesday, 07.01.2014, 19:04 | Message # 4
World Builder
Group: Users
Antarctica
In future versions, there will definitely be blue stragglers, as SE is meant to eventually simulate all astronomical phenomena. It'll be interesting to see them added.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Star population Metallicity and Blue Stragglers (Suggestion for Star generation)
Page 1 of 11
Search: