RUS New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Star browser- A massive improvement (Improving the star browser)
Star browser- A massive improvement
DeathStarDate: Tuesday, 03.12.2013, 23:43 | Message # 1
Pioneer
Group: Users
Croatia
I can't remember when exactly the star browser was implemented, but trust me, it is a life saver. No longer do I have to click on random stars hoping to find one with life or search for black holes in vain. However, it can be improved upon- let me make 2 major suggestions for the star browser:

1. More than just stars- The star browser could be extremely useful for things other than just stars. Basically, when searching for nearby objects, you would have a drop down menu somewhere near the top of the window where you would be able to choose what type of object you want to look for specifically. Chooseable objects would be:

a) Stars- These would be looked for by default
b) Rocky bodies and gas giants- Although we have F2 mode right now, I will explain in the second part of my suggestion why
c) Nebulae
d) Galaxies- These would have kiloparsecs instead of ordinary parsecs when searching

2. Advanced filters- Basically, you would be able to "add filters". There would be a button where you click and would be able to choose what specifically you are looking for. Things you would be able to filter:

a) Stars- Type (everything from X to O), Luminosity (Player would be able to set if the luminosity should be greater than a certain value, lower than a certain value, or between two values), Temperature, Diameter and Mass (All work the same as luminosity)
b) Rocky bodies- Type (everything from an asteroid to a gas giant), Temperature, Diameter, Semimajor axis and Mass (Work the same as previously explained), presence of life (probably a bit unnecessary) (we should have a specific filter for rocky bodies because of this, e.g. to determine the largest asteroid or something easily)
c) Nebulae- Type (Planetary, supernova remnant or diffuse), Diameter and luminosity
d) Galaxies- Type (everything from irregular to spiral), amount of stars(in billions) and diameter

There would be a special "active filters" table that would let you temporarily disable or remove filters.

What do you think of the idea?

neutronium76Date: Wednesday, 04.12.2013, 12:07 | Message # 2
World Builder
Greece
I think something similar has been suggested by me in the past (too bored to search now..). Also an ESI filter would be a very popular and handy one but Space Engineer suggested it would kill the gameplay. But since we are nowhere near a ''game'' version, I think it would make sense to have it in planetarium mode at least smile

PC1:Core i7 970@3.34GHz, 6 cores/12 threads, 12GB DDR3 RAM@1.34GHz, 2x(SLI) GTX-580 GPUs 3GB VRAM(GDDR5)@1GHz, OS:Win7x64SP1
PC2:Core2Quad X9770@3.2GHz, 2 cores/4 threads 4GB DDR2 RAM@1GHz, GTX-285 GPU 1GB VRAM(DDR3)@1.24GHz, OS:WinVistax64SP2

FaceDeerDate: Saturday, 04.01.2014, 22:11 | Message # 3
Space Pilot
Canada
Perhaps the biggest thing I've found myself wanting as a filter in the star browser is a way to identify systems where all those interesting-looking life signatures are actually just boring gas giant "floaters". I've noticed that when a system develops floaters it winds up positively infested by the things (I assume this is because gas giants all have hospitable warm layers *somewhere* in their depths). smile

Once the game gets more gamey I suppose it would make sense to be able to detect some sorts of life from outside the star system but not others. For example, Earth's biosphere is obvious from a long way off due to its effect on the planet's atmospheric composition and colouration, but any potential life on Europa or Mars is basically invisible without getting up close and personal. Since floaters and exotic titanian life are fictional I have no idea what sort of signature they'd have from a distance.

WatsisnameDate: Saturday, 04.01.2014, 23:22 | Message # 4
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
I've been thinking about that, too, and I'm not sure how it could/should work from a perspective of realism. If remote sensing of planets for habitation is via examining atmospheric composition, then it could be easy to show that life is present, but not so much where or what form. For instance, Earth's early oxygen atmosphere would only lead you to oceanic cyanobacteria -- perhaps not the most exciting thing. Methane is another disequilibrium gas that could be formed by biogenic activity, or it could just be geologic processes.

Ultimately I think the only feasible way to know what sorts of lifeforms are on a planet is to actually go there and look. Part of me wouldn't mind if Space Engine gameplay works the same way; in one way it'd make finding complex or exotic life more rewarding. smile

FaceDeerDate: Sunday, 05.01.2014, 10:24 | Message # 5
Space Pilot
Canada
Perhaps giant space observatories would be something you could construct after setting up shop in a system, allowing you to get a better data set from which to select your next destination. The bigger the telescope array, the more detail you get or the farther out it can observe. The game then becomes a tradeoff between spending time and resources observing from afar and just jumping blind to get a close-up look at things.

Blind-jumpers would be rolling the dice more. As a result they'd get boring systems most of the time, but they'd also score the "non-obvious" ones where there are interesting things to be found but no long-distance flags that would draw other explorers. Worlds with long-extinct life or derelicts, civilizations hidden under Europa-style ice crusts, life based on exotic chemical processes, that sort of thing.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Star browser- A massive improvement (Improving the star browser)
Page 1 of 11
Search: