Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Suggestion for HDRI capture routine
Suggestion for HDRI capture routine
DonDeGDate: Wednesday, 02.10.2013, 23:31 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Hi

First, wow!! Space Engine is a GREAT PROGRAM! I am totally addicted to it! Thank you so much for writing it and making it available for free! Aside from the incredible visuals, I am learning a lot about astronomy! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

To start, I searched the forums looking if anyone has requested this previously and couldn't find anything. So, I apologize in advance if my request is redundant.

I find myself making 360 degree HDRI panoramas to import into 3D rendering programs such as 3DS max for scene backgrounds.

I was wondering if you would consider including a routine to automate the task of taking screen captures in 360 circles at different exposure settings so that these can then be taken into something like Photoshop to construct a 3D HDRI panorama for import to rendering programs.

Right now, here is what I am doing:

1. Finding a nice place for the 3D panorama
2. Using the 'U' key to rotate roughly every 30 degrees
3. At each degree, taking a series of 5 screen captures, each at a different exposure setting.
4. This gets me about 60 images I stitch together into an *.hdr file.

The main problem is that I can't control how much I rotate the scene.

Anyway, this would be an INCREDIBLE feature to add and would make the program invaluable as a 3D rendering resource. It would be ideal if you could specify (1) a rotation angle (e.g. take screen capture every 30 degrees), (2) the field of view (FOV) setting, and (3) the exposures at which to capture (e.g. at EV = 0.15, 0.5, 1, 3, 5, or whatever).

Below I have attached a couple examples. The first is a panorama I made. This is just a JPG, but the original is an HDRI 32 bit file. The 2nd image is a frame of a rendered animation in which I used the HDRI file as a 3D panoramic background for the rendered scene.

Ok, that is my request! I would be curious if anyone else is doing this in Space Engine, and how you are doing it. I would love to hear from the Developer if he thinks it is feasible to add a command in to do this function. Seems like it shouldn't be a major coding job.

Again, THANKS SO MUCH for such a GREAT AND AWESOME PROGRAM!!

Best wishes,

Don

Attachments: 2722158.jpg(71Kb) · 4500965.jpg(128Kb)

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 03.10.2013, 09:09 | Message # 2
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Could you make use of the skybox exporter? It creates a cube map projection skybox of the entire scene automatically. In the current version, unfortunately, it only works with each face at a resolution of 1024x1024, but at least it would give you a consistent result each time.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 03.10.2013, 10:33 | Message # 3
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Yes, you must try the skybox export (it is in the Editor menu).

DonDeGDate: Thursday, 03.10.2013, 12:13 | Message # 4
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Thank you both for replying to my query. I was not aware of this feature. I will look into the skybox exporter and let you know the results.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Suggestion for HDRI capture routine
Page 1 of 11
Search: