Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Star density in galaxies
Star density in galaxies
SpicaDate: Tuesday, 04.10.2011, 23:34 | Message # 1
Astronaut
Group: Users
Germany
Hello,

I don't think it's a real bug, but I have mentioned, that in big galaxies, bigger than the milky way, the star density decreases.
At exampel, in milky way the distance between the star is ~ 1 pc in the spiral arms. In the Andromeda galaxy (~43 kpc), which is compared to the milky way ( ~27 kpc) bigger, is the average distance between the stars ~ 20 pc.
In IC 1101, the biggest galaxy in the catalogue, you don't see stars at all, except you increases the magnitude or fly fast.

It seems, that Space Engine connect the diameter of a galaxy with the star density. Probably every galaxy have the standard number of stars of 200 billion, whatever the dimension of that galaxy is.

Is this a trick, so Space Engine don't crash, because of the great number of stars in giant galaxies like M 87? smile

Or is this only a undiscovered "false" bug? biggrin

And the last question: Can this phenomena be improved?

Spica

Added (05.10.2011, 02:34)
---------------------------------------------
Oh, I noticed just now, that in dwarf galaxies like Sculptor dSph, the star number and density is so high, that these galaxies are unexploreable. I think such galaxies contain only a few ten thousand stars.

So this bug must be fixed, otherwise the dwarf galaxies couldn't be explored.

Spica

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD Phenom II X4 4x3.2 GHz
8 Gb RAM DDR3
GeForce GTX 650 TI 1024 Mb

Edited by Spica - Tuesday, 04.10.2011, 23:36

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 05.10.2011, 13:42 | Message # 2
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote (Spica)
Is this a trick, so Space Engine don't crash, because of the great number of stars in giant galaxies like M 87?

Yes smile I made it in previous version to avoid crashes, but forgot to remove it in 0.94

Quote (Spica)
Oh, I noticed just now, that in dwarf galaxies like Sculptor dSph, the star number and density is so high, that these galaxies are unexploreable. I think such galaxies contain only a few ten thousand stars. So this bug must be fixed, otherwise the dwarf galaxies couldn't be explored.

And this too. This is a crash-fix "feature" + bug in small galaxies. If you search, you can find some other bugs connected to it: "cubic galaxies" and completely empty irregular galaxies.

I think I have already fix all of these bugs, but only future testing of new version may show if it is correct.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Star density in galaxies
Page 1 of 11
Search: