Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Why all planets with life are red
Why all planets with life are red
cmagikDate: Friday, 02.09.2011, 15:54 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
Canada
Well, I've been playing with this for quite some time now. Everyday I open it few minutes for fun and look for planet with life.
However something bugs me. From the over 100 planets with life I've seen. None of them (or nearly none) looks like the earth. By that I mean, white cloud, blue water, green landscape. They ALL look red / desertic. They all looks like Mars.

And most of them have so few water that you wonder how life could emerge on a planet with 5% of his surface covered by water.

Is there any plan to make a better render of planet with life ?

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 03.09.2011, 09:22 | Message # 2
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Planets with life must look like Earth in almost all cases. Maybe you have a bug, or strange luck to find 100 dry terras smile BTW, 100 is a very great number, did you add all of them in bookmarks? Can you post here some screenshots with your red terras?

deManglerDate: Saturday, 03.09.2011, 16:29 | Message # 3
Observer
United Kingdom
Interesting.
I just read an article about drier planets vs wetter planets habitability for known life.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-09-alien-life-dune-planets.html

dM

cmagikDate: Saturday, 03.09.2011, 20:47 | Message # 4
Observer
Canada
Very interesting article. And no I didn't saved all the planet, I saved just the one that I found "special". But I can show you some pretty weird system that I've found.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
+

Orbiting together (like a binary star... but it's a binary planet system) In game it's planet + moon. But it's like if Venus was orbiting Earth, at this point it's binary planet system...

Overgreen planet....

This planet look everything but life friendly...

Both have life.

^^

I never think to save the location. I'll try to remind it and post more red/desert planet.
But so far, even if some are really green / really blue / really something.
None of them looks like the earth cry

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 04.09.2011, 16:31 | Message # 5
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Nice planets. Why do you say that all terras with life are red? I see only one planet with pink vegetation. It's all correct (I mean there are no bugs here).

BTW, I fixed that very thin atmosphere model, I saw it in 3 and 4 planets. I'll replace it with more opaque ones.

LordHaHaDate: Tuesday, 06.09.2011, 04:53 | Message # 6
Space Tourist
Group: Users
United States
I'm actually a little concerned about the overgreen world in a way. It is indeed quite green but only has 0.05 ATM. Human psychological and physiological impairment due to low atmospheric pressure begins a bit above 0.6 ATM.

0.05 ATM is encountered at about 4.97 mi / 8 km altitude on Earth, and is known as the "death zone" boundary in the mountain climbing community, where humans can no longer adapt to the low pressure (although arguably the pressure is already too low to be human-life-sustaining before this point). The summit of Mount Everest, for example, is not much higher than this altitude.

This wide range of growth seems a bit extreme given the conditions at "sea level". Outside of bacteria or green fungi I really can't imagine what that growth would even be.

LordHaHa

Edited by LordHaHa - Tuesday, 06.09.2011, 04:55

SpaceEngineerDate: Tuesday, 06.09.2011, 13:29 | Message # 7
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Pressure on Everest is 0.14 atm. Maximum pressure on Mars is 0.06 atm. These pressure can be found on Earth at altitude of 40 km. I choose 0.05 as a minimum limit for Earth-like life support. However, this does not consider aggregate state of water - SpaceEngine does not compute boiling point depending on pressure.

LordHaHaDate: Wednesday, 07.09.2011, 01:27 | Message # 8
Space Tourist
Group: Users
United States
Hmm. Got an incorrect conversion with the distance part of the barometric formula that added +20km to height unnecessarily, looking over the work again. Actually that makes sense as I did an atmospheric pressure health sheet awhile back when SE 0.94 came out and was really surprised when the formula I computed yesterday was 0.05 ATM, at least 4x lower than what I had previously determined was the point where partial pressure suits were needed. Was right the first time.

Why 0.05 ATM, by the way?

LordHaHa

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 07.09.2011, 06:35 | Message # 9
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
To include Mars in habitable parameters range smile

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Why all planets with life are red
Page 1 of 11
Search: