Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 9 of 69«1278910116869»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » General suggestions (Post your suggestions here.)
General suggestions
Donatelo200Date: Monday, 02.09.2013, 18:37 | Message # 121
Explorer
Group: Users
United States
When exporting planetary textures could the process timing be adaptable. I.e. can it move slower (or faster if you have a good graphics card) to allow my graphics card to generate higher resolution textures without timing out.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012)
RAM: Unknown 16G-D3-1600-MR 2x8GB
MBD: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition (MS-7922)

EnkiDate: Friday, 06.09.2013, 22:31 | Message # 122
Astronaut
United States
I would like this, but I think I've gotten the hang of the (1, 1, 1, 1) color code, kind of.

"If you arrive at a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong." - Ayn Rand
"It may be that our purpose on Earth is not to find God, but to create him." - Arthur C. Clarke

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 06.09.2013, 22:37 | Message # 123
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Gondor2222, there is a sticky thread here for making general suggestions....

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

EnkiDate: Friday, 06.09.2013, 22:45 | Message # 124
Astronaut
United States
I'm in the American Federation, and consequently, we use US Customary units. Is it possible there could be an option to display customary units within SE?

I'm not suggesting that the entire catalogue be rewritten. I would like a way to put customary units in as parameters for a new object in the catalogue, like an alternate code,

Code
//Radius 6378
RadiusMi 3963

Then have an option in SE that changes whether to display customary or metric units via automatic conversions of non-matching units in the catalogue to the proper ones on the screen, possibly with sig figs, or to the same decimal as the input units go to.

This would be useful to me as a sci-fi writer because in my sci-fi they use customary units (quite deliberately) for everything.

Thanks. smile

"If you arrive at a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong." - Ayn Rand
"It may be that our purpose on Earth is not to find God, but to create him." - Arthur C. Clarke

Edited by Enki - Friday, 06.09.2013, 22:51

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 06.09.2013, 23:04 | Message # 125
Cosmic Curator
United States
Enki, I have a few things to say about that:

1) There is a thread for suggestions here, you did not need to make a new one. I know you know that by now.

2) There is no such country as the "American Federation".

3) This has been suggested a million times and SpaceEngineer has already said that he will implement multi-unit support in the future. Use the search function please.

4) US units are already very rare in the world, and in sci-fi they are even more rare; only authors writing specifically about an American-dominated future use them in their works. Even American scientists use SI units instead of US units these days.

My SE mods and addons

EnkiDate: Saturday, 07.09.2013, 20:25 | Message # 126
Astronaut
United States
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
1) There is a thread for suggestions here, you did not need to make a new one. I know you know that by now.

I apologize. sad I just find it hard to see the line between what people post outside of this thread and what they post in this thread. They all look like suggestions to me, but they're not in this thread.

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
2) There is no such country as the "American Federation".

You're right. There is no such country. A federation is not a country, it is a collection of states, hence the word Federal Government.

I realize that generally people do not understand it this way, but I've logged weeks of research into the history of these United States, and I checked the definition of a federation and a confederation(which you may easy type into a search engine). I am forced to conclude that we are federated states with a federal government touted as supreme. Were the states superior to the Federal Government, then we would be a confederation(Id est(i.e.), The Confederate States of America). But try saying this United States is. That is Ebonics, not proper English. Now think of the sentence, "The United States is the wealthiest country in the world," and see how unnoticed this has gone.

One could almost get away with calling these United States a nation, but a nation consists of a culture contained to a certain plot of land, independent of the governing body it is associated with, and history has demonstrated at least three nations within these United States, at least partially characterized by their understanding of my earlier point, which is what lead to war. This demonstrates the validity of my earlier point that we are not a country, because people were willing to go to war over whether or not we are.

Quote (HarbingerDawn)

3) This has been suggested a million times and SpaceEngineer has already said that he will implement multi-unit support in the future. Use the search function please.

I tried the search function but did not find anything. I used the keywords customary, measure, and units separately and they turned up no results, but I'm glad it's on his to-do-list. Thanks for the info. smile

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
4) US units are already very rare in the world, and in sci-fi they are even more rare; only authors writing specifically about an American-dominated future use them in their works. Even American scientists use SI units instead of US units these days.

I am, in a sense, writing about an American-dominated future, and I deliberately use customary units to make a point; its our mathematical language, and it defines us, makes us unique(that would make my sci-fi unique too then, I guess). To put it bluntly, I'm glad customary is rare in the world, but English is almost as rare, as an official language, especially when compared to Spanish, but people still learn English in non-English states because we are the wealthiest states on the planet, making dealing with us a business imperative.

Also, the American scientists who use metric are government scientists and apparently they've crashed a few spacecraft because of confusion of measurements between systems. To back that statement up, I've read plenty of scientific materials that cater to customary units and they would not do that if there wasn't some scientific following that preferred the customary system.

If we make our units uniform worldwide, then we must make our language uniform and so on. Then what will set us apart? Nothing. What will future civilizations think when they look at us and cannot tell who did what? They will have to assume we were all the same culture if a scientific report in Germany and one from this American Federation are in a WorldWideBasic language and in SI Units so that nothing can distinguish whose achievements are whose. I believe the variety of cultures on Earth is a good thing and should not be tampered with against any nation's will. In the same breathe, I do not believe a nation should so easy throw its culture away, and America should not throw away is system of measurement to meet the standard of any state or federation on the planet.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By the way, has SpaceEngineer said anything about allowing SE to display different types of notation (Id est, Engineering Notation)? In contrast to scientific notation, engineering notation is written to a power that is a multiple of three and show immediately if something is a thousand, million, billion, trillion, etc. (65 * 10^6 = 6.5 * 10^7 = 65 million = 65,000,000) I find it a quite friendly way to display data.

Thanks. smile

Added (07.09.2013, 23:25)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Gondor2222, there is a sticky thread here for making general suggestions....

Oh, also you didn't move his entire thread, just my response to it.

Edited by Enki - Saturday, 07.09.2013, 15:36

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 07.09.2013, 20:35 | Message # 127
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Enki)
Oh, also you didn't move his entire thread, just my response to it.

I did merge the entire thread, but his opening post seems to have gotten lost... it's probably in this thread somewhere. Three cheers for uCoz dry

Also, [Conversation continued here]

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Saturday, 07.09.2013, 20:36

Crashman1390Date: Monday, 23.09.2013, 23:16 | Message # 128
Explorer
Canada
Suggestion: replace forum moderators with those who don't abuse their powers.

(And no I will NOT undo this post with something else).

BEST REGARDS.

[b]I was wrong, this forum still has a horrible community.[/b]

anonymousgamerDate: Monday, 23.09.2013, 23:47 | Message # 129
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
United States
....What just happened?

Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen
Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen

DisasterpieceDate: Tuesday, 24.09.2013, 00:07 | Message # 130
World Builder
United States
Quote (anonymousgamer)
....What just happened?

Crashman felt hurt because he was told not to do stupid things, so he is devoting his time to making posts on his supposedly closed account that discount our perfectly fair moderators.

Unless you were wondering about something else. In that case, feel free to ignore this post.

I play teh spase engien

Edited by Disasterpiece - Tuesday, 24.09.2013, 00:10

anonymousgamerDate: Tuesday, 24.09.2013, 00:18 | Message # 131
World Builder
United States
It looked like (to me at least) he raged out of the blue. Maybe there's something I missed recently?

Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen
Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 24.09.2013, 00:50 | Message # 132
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (anonymousgamer)
It looked like (to me at least) he raged out of the blue. Maybe there's something I missed recently?

You must have missed a good deal, this is far from the first time he's done something like this.

Quote (Crashman1390)
Suggestion: replace forum moderators with those who don't abuse their powers.

First, you've provided no evidence of this. Second, if you do have an issue of this nature, take it up with the administration. If you don't like one of the admins, talk to another. You shouldn't keep making posts like this on the open forum. Third, and this is really the most important one, if you don't like it here then please feel free to spend your time elsewhere. No one is forcing you to stay here, and it seems that you would be happier somewhere else anyway.

So please stop making these sorts of posts, or you'll not be allowed to post anymore.

My SE mods and addons

anonymousgamerDate: Tuesday, 24.09.2013, 00:59 | Message # 133
World Builder
United States
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
You must have missed a good deal, this is far from the first time he's done something like this.

I know, but I'm assuming something must have happened within the past few days for him to get angry like this.

NovaSiliskoDate: Tuesday, 24.09.2013, 01:56 | Message # 134
Explorer
Group: SE team
United States
Quote (anonymousgamer)
I know, but I'm assuming something must have happened within the past few days for him to get angry like this.

He started asking for KSP tech support in the KSP thread, then edited his post a few hours or so later with something along the lines of "why does nobody help me", then was told that that's really not the place to go for tech support, and that he shouldn't get upset like that because people don't reply to him and answer his question immediately. He then gave himself his current signature and attitude.

I expect him to come back, of course. IIRC this is the second time he's said he was leaving.

Edited by NovaSilisko - Tuesday, 24.09.2013, 01:59

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 24.09.2013, 02:51 | Message # 135
Cosmic Curator
United States
Ok guys that's enough of this discussion. We don't need to talk about each other, and certainly not in this thread.

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Tuesday, 24.09.2013, 02:51

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » General suggestions (Post your suggestions here.)
Page 9 of 69«1278910116869»
Search: