Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 30 of 69«1228293031326869»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » General suggestions (Post your suggestions here.)
General suggestions
apenpaapDate: Monday, 29.12.2014, 12:11 | Message # 436
World Builder
Group: Users
Antarctica
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
I've always felt the opposite, that AU was most intuitive, but I agree that more options are always nice.

I suppose AUs are more intuitive to most people, but I'm so used to millions of km that the opposite is true for me.

I really like the new auto-exposure, but I would suggest lowering the threshold of when it reduces the exposure a little. Currently, it makes the Earth look like it did in 2001: a Space Odyssey when you look at it from a bit of a distance.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 29.12.2014, 13:45 | Message # 437
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote apenpaap ()
I really like the new auto-exposure, but I would suggest lowering the threshold of when it reduces the exposure a little

It's an unfinished feature. I suggest just ignoring its issues, and treating it as an experimental use-at-your-own-risk sort of thing.

Quote Idgelios ()
Currently with the life section of the planet editor there's only one option for life.

If you're going to be adding life to planets (or modifying planets in any way) you have to edit the catalog script. The editor is not meant for that, and doesn't have every possible option built into it, not to mention the fact that it can't save changes.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

JCandeiasDate: Monday, 29.12.2014, 22:40 | Message # 438
Pioneer
Group: Translators
Portugal
Here's a suggestion: oceans, lakes and rivers in... deserts.

Yeah, deserts.

But not in all deserts, just in those with super-dense atmospheres. And the liquids wouldn't be watery, but other stuff. Like carbon dioxide.

Seems to be good science. Check this out: http://news.discovery.com/space....229.htm

A new type of planet coming up?

They let me use this!

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 29.12.2014, 23:54 | Message # 439
Cosmic Curator
United States
JCandeias, what they're describing there is supercritical CO2, not liquid CO2. Supercritical CO2 does not behave like a liquid, and would not have a distinct sea level or shoreline. It behaves much more like a gas. And anyway, Venus' surface is still covered in supercritical CO2 today, and we can directly observe that it does not shape the surface in a manner similar to a liquid.

My SE mods and addons

AerospacefagDate: Monday, 29.12.2014, 23:58 | Message # 440
Pioneer
Russian Federation
Surprisingly for terrain generator, the new version handles ice caps very well - you can still find those on worlds with hotter atmosphere but they will be appropriately placed. Like, there is the yellow world with mean temperature +60 C, however there are some rightsize mountains, where the temperature is lower than 0, and there's snow on top of them, because temperature is dropping with altitude.

Although I would also ask for latitude variations in temperature because it is awkward when temperature is the same at all the surface. Of course, these variations shall also be affected by planet rotation ad axial tilt, or even volcanoes and internal heating. I saw two very close terra planets the other day, so heated by gravitational pull that they were classified as "scorched".

Further implementations might also mean: biomes, climatic models and different variants of temperature distribution on the surface. Or maybe even dynamic surface generation for different seasons - in some distant future.

JCandeiasDate: Tuesday, 30.12.2014, 00:58 | Message # 441
Pioneer
Portugal
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
JCandeias, what they're describing there is supercritical CO2, not liquid CO2. Supercritical CO2 does not behave like a liquid, and would not have a distinct sea level or shoreline. It behaves much more like a gas.

Appartently no, not really. That's precisely the surprise.

Quoting from the article:

Scientists had generally thought the physical properties of supercritical fluids changed gradually with pressure and temperature. However, in computer simulations of molecular activity, Bolmatov and his colleagues found that supercritical matter could shift dramatically from gaslike to liquidlike properties.

What we have at Venus today is gaslike supercritical CO2. What they found out (granted, by simulations only) is that in larger pressures a distinct boundary may form between gaslike and liquidlike supercritical CO2.

If this is true, then there would be pretty familiar landscapes in such planets.

Actually, if this is true and also applies to hydrogen, then there would be surface-like features in gas giants as well.

They let me use this!

GarikDate: Tuesday, 30.12.2014, 22:38 | Message # 442
Observer
Group: Newbies
Finland
Diffraction spikes for distant stars would be interesting. Of course with a seperate on/off option for them

You know, the 4 lines kinda diffraction spikes, the ones you get from the support beams on telescopes

Time dilation would also be rather interesting, toggleable as well, of course

Edited by Garik - Wednesday, 31.12.2014, 00:12

hamrandy789Date: Wednesday, 31.12.2014, 20:31 | Message # 443
Observer
Group: Newbies
Pirate
I have no idea if this has been mentioned or not, but I think it would be really cool if Space Engine could be controllable with a joystick. Almost like a real flight simulator.

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 31.12.2014, 20:43 | Message # 444
Cosmic Curator
United States
hamrandy789, it is. Download the latest version.

My SE mods and addons

WatsisnameDate: Wednesday, 31.12.2014, 22:00 | Message # 445
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Split discussion of supercritical substances to a new thread.

KarakurtDate: Friday, 02.01.2015, 15:48 | Message # 446
Space Tourist
France
I'm currently glad enough with 0.972's new features, but there is an idea in my mind that I didn't dare to talk about back when 0.972 was still work in progress; exactly the kind of thing that always make me miss when playing Space Engine. Henceforth I'm going ahead and suggest it : Will it be possible to have a "cosmic ruler" for the next SE version? I'm not seeing anything regarding this request in the TODO list, I'm neither sure if that has been suggested already but I'd really love to see it.

So, what does a cosmic ruler consist of: Simple. First method - you want to measure a distance between 2 objects that you do not forcefully know by heart. You place your 2 points, say one on a planet and another on its star to get the distance.

The second method is to implement a ruler that is done the same way as in Google Earth, ie you draw a line and the distance is measured in real time.

What's the point : The point is that, when you're getting an overview of a star system and its orbits, sometimes you would wonder what are the distances between every planet and the star in the center. Instead of approaching a planet in order to measure the distance by standing near the planet and clicking the star, I find that drawing a line - or - placing 2 measure dots may be faster and more convenient.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Karakurt - Friday, 02.01.2015, 15:50

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 02.01.2015, 16:49 | Message # 447
Cosmic Curator
United States
That has most certainly been suggested quite a few times. The first method should be possible, though I don't know if it would be difficult. The second method would probably be impossible.

Also, if you want to know the (approximate) distance between a planet and its star, just look at its semi-major axis value. Since the orbits of most planets have low eccentricity, the SMA value will be close to the true instantaneous value anyway.

My SE mods and addons

FireintheholeDate: Saturday, 03.01.2015, 01:55 | Message # 448
Pioneer
Sweden
I always accidentally click the System Chart when I'm supposed to click on the Planetary System button on the menu to the left. Could you fix so that they don't lie next to each other?

Love SpaceEngine!

SolarLinerDate: Saturday, 03.01.2015, 22:18 | Message # 449
Explorer
France
I thought the "God mode" for 3D displays would have an automatic "enlargement" of the interpupil distance to look at father / bigger objects. But apparently it isn't, so I'm suggesting that: the further away the objects are, the bigger the interpupil distance becomes.

Also it would make it perfect to have it check for 3D bleeding (that is, having the screen cut off objects that should be seen in front of it), but that's okay for now, having 3D bleeding isn't exactly the worst issue here ^^

Other than that, I enjoy navigating in Space Engine in 3D !

custom landing page to share: http://bit.ly/spaceengine

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 03.01.2015, 23:13 | Message # 450
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote SolarLiner ()
I thought the "God mode" for 3D displays would have an automatic "enlargement" of the interpupil distance to look at father / bigger objects. But apparently it isn't, so I'm suggesting that: the further away the objects are, the bigger the interpupil distance becomes.

This would be extremely difficult to implement. How would it work? Does it choose the nearest object? And if so, what does it use as the reference distance: the distance to the object's center, or distance to object's edge? And when rapidly transitioning between lots of near and far objects, should the stereobase flicker too?

Even if you can decide on a system to use, it's virtually impossible to make one that would be comfortable for the user. This is why it's better for it to be user-adjustable, and Shift-Mousewheel is a very easy and comfortable way to adjust it IMO.

My SE mods and addons

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » General suggestions (Post your suggestions here.)
Page 30 of 69«1228293031326869»
Search: