Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 23 of 69«1221222324256869»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » General suggestions (Post your suggestions here.)
General suggestions
Stargate38Date: Sunday, 17.08.2014, 18:45 | Message # 331
Astronaut
Group: Users
United States
Could you please add rogue planets (planets that orbit the galactic center directly, instead of orbiting a star) in 0.9.7.2? I noticed that there weren't any in the current version. In theory, they're as common as stars.

EDIT: Could an admin or mod please move this to the General Suggestion Thread? I can't find a Delete button.

Edit2: Thanks. biggrin

Edited by Stargate38 - Sunday, 17.08.2014, 19:55

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 17.08.2014, 22:51 | Message # 332
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote astroniki ()
What bothers me most are the vivid ring colours, especially purple ones. Can we have them follow more rocky/icy hues?

Fixed.

Quote astroniki ()
And another thing, planets around very blue and very red stars appear less illuminated than around white stars, i guess it's because the RGB values are only decreased to make the proper colours and this makes the light darker. Can this be fixed to keep the appearance of planets around different classes of planets uniform in brightness?

This is hard, because light color of blue/red start is saturated, ie RGB = (1, 0, 0). This mean that increasing brightness wouldn't help. The only way is desaturate the lighting color a bit.

Quote spacer ()
i think about: what if we could know what is the temperature in the Precise point in 1 place on the planet you are. for example: if you are going to planet and the average temperature is 300k. and you go to the poles of the planet, you will can see what is the temperature in the Precise point you are now (this meter in the pole) like 180k. and if you go to the desert in the planet you will see 330k where you are in this Precise point.

I have particularly implemented this in order to use with aerodynamic flight physics. Se now calculates air parameters such as pressure and temperature at the point there ship is. In the free flight mode, Se calculates this for the camera location point and prints it in the info table. I also implemented calculation of the elevation of the snow line on the mountains. Ie snow cap starts from the point where temperature is 0°C. But this is don't work very well because system don't taking into account latitude changes.

Quote Tac1017 ()
I propose folders in the flagged object menu to sort things out, so you don't need to have a pile of everything that can be unorganized.

Quote carlsagan ()
Not sure if this has been suggested or is in the program (I am new here) but I think a calculator application in-game and a journal or notepad to type various things on. Keep up the good work.

Guys, I don't understand you wacko

Quote Tac1017 ()
I also propose planetary comparisons so planets could be compared. The two planets themselves are above all of the data, so a visual size comparison can be seen. The data below would give a side by side comparison of the data.

I made a Wiki menu taking in mind future upgrade: ability to add one more planet to the same window to compare them.

Quote Tac1017 ()
Then, I propose full lighting. It is a way of lighting the whole planet equally so that everything could be seen. It would help people with those pesky night sides of tidally locked planets.

Press [ Shift ] + [ . ] to increase, [ Shift ] + [ , ] to decrease ambient lighting. Or go to Magnitude menu (F7) and play with Ambient lighting slider.

Quote Stargate38 ()
Could you please add rogue planets (planets that orbit the galactic center directly, instead of orbiting a star) in 0.9.7.2? I noticed that there weren't any in the current version. In theory, they're as common as stars.

I will add them, but later on. Now I can't add them due to limitations of the galaxy generation system.

VoekoevakaDate: Monday, 18.08.2014, 00:35 | Message # 333
World Builder
Group: SE team
France
Will it be possible to save several music configs, and to jump from one to another in game ?

Want some music of mine ? Please go here !

Edited by Voekoevaka - Monday, 18.08.2014, 00:37

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Monday, 18.08.2014, 01:08 | Message # 334
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote Voekoevaka ()
Will it be possible to save several music configs

I like this idea. Saved playlist selections would be really nice.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

jzguruDate: Thursday, 21.08.2014, 02:04 | Message # 335
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
I have a suggestion and comment about the "game" concept. There are already tons and tons of space shoot-em-ups out there already and they keep coming out with more but they all kind of do the same thing. I admit I enjoy them and the ones with story lines add depth like Mass Effect. However, Space Engine is thee greatest space creation software to date and even though sales may increase (when released) by a a first person shooter, I personally feel there is more to do in space that killing other species and defending or ruling the universe. My idea here is there is so much potential from the exploration factor that there could be simulated intelligent life on some planets all unique in stature and development of technology. There are already spaceships (although I haven't had much luck with them) but the possibilities of interaction (other than violence) could be very intriguing. I already explore planets, moons, finding gorgeous landscapes all unique and different and never get bored.. This has always been my dream direction in a computer space simulation: To launch from earth, explore and connect and learn about hypothetical life and life styles. The sky is the limit or should I say the universe in the limit? I would just hate to see this wonderful engine be wasted on low AI shoot-em-up.

FastFourierTransformDate: Thursday, 21.08.2014, 19:00 | Message # 336
Pioneer
Group: Local Moderators
Spain
Quote jzguru ()
I would just hate to see this wonderful engine be wasted on low AI shoot-em-up.

Totally agree. There's no reason to intruduce violence (and I love to play games like that as everyone) on Space Engine. Real violence is nature's violence. That violence where galaxies collide and hypernovas destroy all that you ever was or ever will be. In that sense the game could be a survivial game, ambiented in periods of billions of years.

SE probably should be only a powerfull planetarium, and maybe the games devoleped inside the engine should be, at maximum, exploration games where the power of scientific method shined in every acction. The best game I could immagine fitting in SE (and I want SE as a tool not as a game) would be something like traveling across the galaxies, taking mesuremens of the brighness of distant stars to search for planets, investigating the peanut shaped form of the nucleus of our galaxy for example, or discovering amazing geological structures with continuous references to the history of science form Anaxagoras to Modern Physics.

I think this is going to be very helpfull for educators, for documentaries, for real planetariums, and to tell the people the marvels of science with a simple computer. Or it could be something inspiring and playable only for relaxation purposes. And I have said, if this become a game, the best gift would be a game that honors Newton, Galileo and others.

I want to expand that critic to the game concept adding to the war factor the colonialistic-bussiness factor. Many of you talk of asteroid mining, keynesian economics around the universe xD, and dream with something like a cosmic entrepreneur that starting from nothing get's to the conquer of vast regions like a landowner or to the monopoly of vast quantities of resources like a wall street shark. That would be very funny and entertaining I have no dubt. But I find that extremly antropocentric. In fact extremly eurocentric and part of the cosmovision of a certain groups of people in a certain cultural landscape in this century inside that eurocentrism. I think adding something like that (even if the economics are made to resemble what modern angloamerican pop culture considers futurisc with "all changed in aparence" to preserve the same structural pattern and social behaviour I have mentioned) would be utterly ridiculous and even stupid since we don't need to assume that kind of habits neither in extraterrestrial life forms nor in Galactic human societies of the future (because in only two centuries to the future or to the past this way of thinking is totally out of reality).

I even ask myself if there would be such a thing like "Economy" in an almost infinite Universe filled of resources. Because we lack here of the usual concepts associated with the management of wealth and money for the survival and profit of some agents in a system, because this concepts may vanish totally as they are only the evolution of previous ones and are profundly linked with the history of human societies with all their wounds and errors, and with all the misery that we have had or hev now on our planet. For me, saying that this game should be realistic and like that at the same time seems like a contradiction and is as absurd as considering far futurist a sword made of laser (from the future just because you know is made of laser!! duh), or shooting with something like a gun (hey because we fight with guns and we can't immagine somehting more evolved than throwing well sculptured rocks with highly sofisticated and powerfull shooting-rocks machine!! let's throw some rocks to that demonic martians fellow monkeys!) or moral medieval european knight code of honor something that can regulate human interactions ([I also love Star Wars don't missunderstand me smile ]).
Capitalistic economy is for me equally absurd to implement in a game of this level. It is like finding the Lumiere's Moon film, with all that "lunar 20th century extraterriestrial humans" walking on cheese craters and considering that it's describing something realistic when it is only the folk vision of that epoch (I know Lumiere's film is humorous and the scientific knowledge of the time was far beyond but you get the point, people like to see that, as Star Wars, not what we really espect analyzing the data critically and thinking beyond our basic social constructs).

I'm not saying that some economic systems or social conducts are imposible or bad in a cosmic human civilization but I want to alert of the ideological bias that considers capitalism something eternal and universal to the point of talking undoubted of extrapolating our social dynamics to a very scientifically rigorous playable planetarium. I find this primitive, and I think this at least may create some discussion about the rigor of making interstellar war, mining industry and wormhole-railroad company profits in a much more interesting universe. If we are capable of debating about what colours a ring system can have in real world or what are the common misconceptions about the morphology of red supergiants, I think we are also capable of thinking this way about more complex (and thus more unpredictable and anti-stereotypical) things.

Sorry for the message tone, but explaining something as complex as this in few words and with another language is difficult for me. If I offended someone it is not my intention okay? smile concentrate about what you think I'm trying to say if you are one of those.

Being this an international forum I think many of you understand my point here.

Edited by FastFourierTransform - Thursday, 21.08.2014, 19:13

spyradDate: Sunday, 24.08.2014, 20:07 | Message # 337
Observer
United States
Hi, this is my first post. I have a few ideas if you don't mind:

I've seen the updates of the work on 0.972 and everything looks amazing! Lots of improvements. However, one thing that I think still isn't up to par with how fantastic everything else looks, are the clouds. I know it's already on the list, but I think 3D volumetric clouds would currently be the most valuable addition to SE.

3D steam/smoke from geysers and eruptions would be incredible. And vegetation! eventually..

Also, I was wondering if there were any plans for first-person views of being an astronaut inside the vehicles or inside a spacesuit! I would love to be able to float around in ship while in orbit around a planet, and then look out the window of a pod during atmospheric entry, and then walk around on the planet in a space suit in first-person or drive around in a buggy!

For the last thing to be fully immersive I think you would have to introduce sounds, like the burning and turbulence of the entry vehicle, or the breathing inside the spacesuit. Or if you don't want to be in the spacesuit, you should be able to hear natural noises on a planet like the weather. I mention this because I realized SE currently does not have any noise except for music. I don't know how possible it would be to predict and generate noises in various alien environments, but it's just an idea. smile

EDIT:
Oh, I forgot, I was wondering why there weren't any shooting stars in SE. I see them all the time in the sky.

Edited by spyrad - Sunday, 24.08.2014, 23:03

DeathStarDate: Sunday, 24.08.2014, 21:19 | Message # 338
Pioneer
Croatia
All already planned...

GameQB11Date: Sunday, 24.08.2014, 22:44 | Message # 339
Observer
United States
It would be nice if we could randomly find artifacts from other advanced civilizations on planets that they've visited before. Nothing to complex. A left behind piece of tech or something. We could use these artifacts to help triangulate the location of an advanced civ once we've collected enough pieces.

It will almost be like detective work. We could be hunting down these artifacts to find other space exploring species. There could also be certain patterns to look for in order to find more pieces belonging to the same (very rare) civilization. For example, an aquatic civ would mostly visit oceanic planets. i wouldn't have these be common, but it would be a nice rare find when scanning a planet. Add a bit of excitement and discovery besides cataloging minerals and gases.

IMO, i wouldnt have hostile imperialistic alien civilizations in this game. They would be scientist, exploring the galaxy and interested in communicating just like us.

werdnaforeverDate: Monday, 25.08.2014, 02:37 | Message # 340
World Builder
United States
Since most new users seem to head straight for the forum to make their suggestions without reading the FAQ, the best way to avoid redundant threads and suggestions would be to have a giant link to the FAQ at the index page of the forum. It should be the first thing there, before any of the categories.

It should basically say users must read the FAQ first before posting or making suggestions. Large text and/or an eye catching image would also be appropriate.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Monday, 25.08.2014, 02:47 | Message # 341
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote werdnaforever ()
It should basically say users must read the FAQ first before posting or making suggestions. Large text and/or an eye catching image would also be appropriate.

So long as it is in some color that sticks out and draws attention it would be a good idea. Especially if it has words like WARNING or BAN emphasized somewhere in there.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

werdnaforeverDate: Monday, 25.08.2014, 02:51 | Message # 342
World Builder
United States
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
WARNING or BAN emphasized

YES YES YES

Something like
WARNING: New users MUST read the FAQ before posting suggestions.

is obvious. I'm not sure where banning would come into play.

Also, it should only reference the FAQ. We know new users need to read the rules first too, but emphasizing this along with the FAQ gives people 2 pages to read, not 1. Many people are lazy, and would rather just read a simple list of questions and answers. We can't really control what people choose to read or not read; with the enthusiasm someone might have over SE and their own idea/suggestion they will be much less likely to click on anything that says "rules" since rules are generally long and they want to post their ideas ASAP. Better to tell them "read this short thing" rather than "read this long thing".

Edited by werdnaforever - Monday, 25.08.2014, 03:33

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 25.08.2014, 04:21 | Message # 343
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
No, if they must read any one thing, it has to be the rules. If there is to be a simplified version of where to go and what to do when you have a problem or suggestion, it should be presented in the rules, including quick links to the FAQ, Troubleshooting thread, FAQ thread, and suggestions thread.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Wednesday, 27.08.2014, 01:26 | Message # 344
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
This is a branched post from our discussion starting on page 3 in the Spaceflight Physics Concept thread.

These are mainly suggestions for short term ship improvements for 0.9.7.2 or 0.9.8 due to the lack of any auto pilot system and how difficult ships can be to control.

Recommended Adjustments/Changes to current hyperdrive:
1. Remove local velocity acceleration when using hyperdrive. Acts like a cheat and violates conservation of momentum. Allows acceleration of local velocity, adjustments, and thrust for local FTL violations. The hyperdrive from 0.9.6 and 0.9.7 is how this should function when making adjustments while using the hyperdrive. As of 0.9.7.1 making adjustments while in hyperflight accelerates your input, though this may be a bug.

2. "Hyperspace", if we go by NASA layout, could be changed to "Boost Factor", "Boost Field Factor", or "Boost Field" since the field is multiplying the current velocity by a set amount and the current Hyperdrive functions similar to this already

3. Add in new HUD listings and update current listings
Example
Ship Velocity - 1500 km/s
Boost Field(Hyperspace)- 1•10^6
Apparent/Effective Velocity (Ship velocity • Boost) - 1.5•10^9 km/s* (1,500,000,000) *Listing the apparent/effective velocity in same units as the ship's velocity makes it easier for people to understand how fast they are traveling

4. Update Hyperspace factor values to more familiar integers. Using fractions of 10, 100, 1000, 10000, etc would allow people to understand how fast they are traveling in a less math intensive way. This also gives more of a steady progression when increasing the hyperspace factor.

See below comparison of current Hyperspace factors and my revised edit

Current Hyperspace Values

Revised Hyperspace Values

And to bring back an old suggestion that I still think would be useful

Make it so putting the UFO flag inside the ships config file would enable UFO mode only for that ship. I think this would be preferable for things like Star Trek/Star Wars/etc mods.

Maybe like this

Code
Name    "Enterprise-D"
Class   "Starship"
Length   642.00002
Offset  (-0.11462905 -0.72487444 -4.2757392)
Mass     4.4999997e+009
Albedo   0.07
Exposure 2.25
Color   (1 1 1)

UFO 1

And along those same lines perhaps a "Cheat" menu could be added with check boxes like
[✓] Noclip
[✘] Gravity
[✘] Aero
[✓] UFO

And those settings could be saved to the main.cfg. Or at the very least add the cheats to a section in the config like
Code
//Cheats
Noclip        1    // Disable/enable camera collision
Gravity         0    // Disable/enable gravitational force on ships
Aero          0    // Disable/enable aerodynamics
UFO          1    // Disable/enable classic ship control, hyperdrive on all ships, and unlimited acceleration

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

oreganoDate: Wednesday, 27.08.2014, 03:21 | Message # 345
Observer
Pirate
First, I'd just like to say "...wow..." Space Engine is an incredible piece of work and just lovely all the way around. Thank you very much for putting it all together.

A couple of suggestions (one of which has been touched on previously, but I'd like to revist for my own reasons)

- "Trade lanes" toggle/overlay - for lack of a better term - I'd like to be able to set up ingame lines connecting one system to another (unlimited, really) to denote that they are linked in some way - either I've visited the system, or for story lines to represent systems that are connected either politically, culturally or economically. This would be a wonderful way to get a feel for regional locations.

- Biozones toggle/overlay, just because I want Goldilocks to feel at home. smile

- Depth of view - a toggle to control how far away you want stars to be visilbe, from 1 parsec up. This to help identify local stars from distant ones in the view.

- Optional 4X game aspect [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4X] - this is the part that has been touched on before, and as noted above there are tons of other games and simulations that let you blow stuff up. What I'd like to see is something a little more thoughtful and mature than just explosions. Focuses being on realistic, sandbox race design, politics, cultural, and economic systems that typically get overlooked by your stock games.

Traditionally, 4X games are lowest common denominator in the game industry, and 2 dimensional (literally and figuratively) game play and mapping. I think that if provided as an option, or even better, an official expansion that can be purchased (but isn't necessary for the Space Engine experience - let users decide how they use the simulator), that is kept simple but intelligently done, like the rest of the simulation, it would not only provide a revenue stream for Space Engine, it would also answer a demand in the gaming industry that is not being met - that of a mature science fiction space strategy game/simulation that isn't filled with bad science and ridiculous cartoon animations.

Additionally I know many people who write science fiction stories on large scales, and would love to be able to plot out what their galactic empires do using a realistic 4x simulator.

I was the artist for Space Empires V (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Empires_V - that's my artwork on the cover) and you can visit my site here: www.oreganoproductions.com. It was a fun project to work on, and a fun game. However, it was 2D mapping, and tried to do too much. From talking with many players over the years, many would dearly love to have something that is immersive, well thought out, and realistic, without a lot of graphic bloat. They'd dearly love to have a game (or simulation) to allow them to explore different types of situations without feeling like it was designed for a 10 year old.

I think that Space Engine could provide a simple and elegant answer to this demand.

Thanks for your time and consideration - and thank you again for providing such an awesome simulation. Keep up the good work!
~S

Edited by oregano - Wednesday, 27.08.2014, 03:26

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » General suggestions (Post your suggestions here.)
Page 23 of 69«1221222324256869»
Search: