RUS New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 22 of 69«1220212223246869»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » General suggestions (Post your suggestions here.)
General suggestions
HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 07.08.2014, 14:58 | Message # 316
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
I personally support the current system of procedural object designation. Why should it be changed? It makes perfect sense at it is.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

TenebristhedarkenedDate: Saturday, 09.08.2014, 20:15 | Message # 317
Space Tourist
Group: Users
United States
Are there any plans for massive solid planets? They are large rocky planets the size of gas giants. An example would be Kepler-10c. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler-10c

SolarLinerDate: Sunday, 10.08.2014, 20:14 | Message # 318
Explorer
France
I thought of having a on the fly data downloader for known planets "a la Google Earth" that downloads planetary data around the location you see (progressively through the levels as you come closer) and keeps it so you don't have to re-download it again.

Could be nice to have Earth or Mars in full resolution without downloading 5 Gb+ of data in one time !

custom landing page to share: http://bit.ly/spaceengine

RockoRocksDate: Sunday, 10.08.2014, 22:11 | Message # 319
World Builder
Belgium
Quote SolarLiner ()
Could be nice to have Earth or Mars in full resolution without downloading 5 Gb+ of data in one time !

I totally agree with this, this will save everyone a lot of disk space, and you won't have to downlaod many gigabytes of data just to see one particular place on Earth in very high resolution

I will be inactive on this forum for the time being. Might come back eventually

AMD AR-3305M APU w/ Radeon HD 1.90 GHz 6,00 GB RAM

Edited by RockoRocks - Sunday, 10.08.2014, 22:12

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 10.08.2014, 22:31 | Message # 320
Cosmic Curator
United States
This would not be easy to implement, and it would mean very long download times. Generally when using Google Earth, you are looking directly downward, and not moving very quickly. The same is not true in SE. It would take forever to load. And if the server went down, then you would have no textures. Given how relatively cheap storage is these days it's not at all unreasonable to expect that someone can store 10 GB of data on their hard drive if they want to have very high resolution maps for multiple planets. Many modern games are twice that size on their own.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

SolarLinerDate: Sunday, 10.08.2014, 23:18 | Message # 321
Explorer
France
I'm not talking about the size on disk - data would be stored for later use, so on the end you'd have the whole planet saved, but for slow connections it is better than directly download everything at once, which could take days.
Here the user launches Space Engine, waits a bit (at most 100 Mb to download at once which is not that much), and have a beautiful Earth shown up.
After that there would still be ways to download everything yourself.

But I understand that this would be not easy, but looking at the state of the project here, I'd say that it is easy enough for him tongue

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 11.08.2014, 22:50 | Message # 322
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
SpaceEngine does not even have its own file hosting server to share the release build.

SolarLinerDate: Tuesday, 12.08.2014, 02:48 | Message # 323
Explorer
France
That reminds me - Space Engine needs an actual website that showcases the project, so the user is appealed and looks at the app, and eventually donate some if he likes the project. Right now it is just a front page (which is not that bad actually, don't get me wrong) and a forum.

Right now what I think of is a HTML5 "responsive" design with big full screen screenshots of Space Engine in the background (Solaris' of course :P) as the first page, with a second page which displays features, and the third who finally gives the download. Eventually it'll host SE download and "official" or "showcased" add-ons (like the ones on the "Addons" page right now). And maybe an additional gallery where some of the best shots are exposed.
I know there is 000webhost that gives you 50 Gb storage for free along with a domain name, I've been using it for small projects or just as a showcase temporary server.

Now if things are going on well and storage is dedicated to space engine, there could finally be this streaming feature happening.

Else - there's Amazon cloud, Dropbox, all sorts of cloud services with direct links that could be used, or surely someone would happily share some space for such a feature - if happening, obviously.

Still, a beautiful website to "capture" the newcomer might be a thing to do, after all, we're all here for the look of it, right? biggrin

RockoRocksDate: Tuesday, 12.08.2014, 15:31 | Message # 324
World Builder
Belgium
Quote SolarLiner ()
Right now what I think of is a HTML5 "responsive" design with big full screen screenshots of Space Engine in the background (Solaris' of course :P) as the first page, with a second page which displays features, and the third who finally gives the download.

Sounds like a good idea, but I highly doubt that is possible with uCoz, which is currently used for the home page. I have never built a site with it, but I think that if we want such a homepage SpaceEngineer will need to start from scratch and host it elsewhere maybe, of course with the forum still using uCoz for convenience.

I will be inactive on this forum for the time being. Might come back eventually

AMD AR-3305M APU w/ Radeon HD 1.90 GHz 6,00 GB RAM

SolarLinerDate: Tuesday, 12.08.2014, 16:38 | Message # 325
Explorer
France
My idea implied hosting it on a different place, I more or less know the limitations with uCoz.
I might even start playtesting with my ideas, to show you what I'm talking about. Of course I'll need beautiful screenshots smile

astronikiDate: Tuesday, 12.08.2014, 16:52 | Message # 326
Space Pilot
Group: SE team
Poland
What bothers me most are the vivid ring colours, especially purple ones. Can we have them follow more rocky/icy hues?

And another thing, planets around very blue and very red stars appear less illuminated than around white stars, i guess it's because the RGB values are only decreased to make the proper colours and this makes the light darker. Can this be fixed to keep the appearance of planets around different classes of planets uniform in brightness?

Check out my astrophotography:
http://www.astroniki.fbl.pl
http://www.facebook.com/AstroNiki1

spacerDate: Wednesday, 13.08.2014, 14:34 | Message # 327
Star Engineer
Israel
i think about: what if we could know what is the temperature in the Precise point in 1 place on the planet you are. for example: if you are going to planet and the average temperature is 300k. and you go to the poles of the planet, you will can see what is the temperature in the Precise point you are now (this meter in the pole) like 180k. and if you go to the desert in the planet you will see 330k where you are in this Precise point.

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

carlsaganDate: Thursday, 14.08.2014, 05:16 | Message # 328
Observer
United States
Not sure if this has been suggested or is in the program (I am new here) but I think a calculator application in-game and a journal or notepad to type various things on. Keep up the good work.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."

-Carl Sagan-

Tac1017Date: Friday, 15.08.2014, 01:31 | Message # 329
Explorer
United States
I propose folders in the flagged object menu to sort things out, so you don't need to have a pile of everything that can be unorganized.

I also propose planetary comparisons so planets could be compared. The two planets themselves are above all of the data, so a visual size comparison can be seen. The data below would give a side by side comparison of the data.

Then, I propose full lighting. It is a way of lighting the whole planet equally so that everything could be seen. It would help people with those pesky night sides of tidally locked planets.

The Terra Hunter of the Milky Way!

(By the way, I was born in 2001, NOT 1972 XD)

SalvoDate: Friday, 15.08.2014, 09:21 | Message # 330
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Quote Tac1017 ()
Then, I propose full lighting. It is a way of lighting the whole planet equally so that everything could be seen. It would help people with those pesky night sides of tidally locked planets.

This have already been implemented, long time ago, it's call "ambiental light".
Not sure how you can find it, but there is, maybe with a different name.

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » General suggestions (Post your suggestions here.)
Page 22 of 69«1220212223246869»
Search: