Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 18 of 69«1216171819206869»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » General suggestions (Post your suggestions here.)
General suggestions
RockoRocksDate: Saturday, 01.03.2014, 10:53 | Message # 256
World Builder
Group: Users
Belgium
Hi,
I'm not sure If anyone ever suggested this before, but I couldn't really find it on the forum.
For better easier organizations of all Space Engine addons, it would be nice if we had an (un)official addon site for Space Engine, with all the addons on it, for different versions, possibly.

Such a system would be comparable to the Celestia Motherlode, and I think it would be much more useful to have everything in one place, rather than having different addon threads on the forum.

I will be inactive on this forum for the time being. Might come back eventually

AMD AR-3305M APU w/ Radeon HD 1.90 GHz 6,00 GB RAM

Edited by RockoRocks - Saturday, 01.03.2014, 11:03

neutronium76Date: Saturday, 01.03.2014, 11:34 | Message # 257
World Builder
Greece
Quote RockoRocks ()
it would be nice if we had an (un)official addon site for Space Engine,

I disagree because:

1.) Space Engine is still in beta development and most addons become obsolete after a new version is released.
2.) Space Engineer already includes many addons that he deems worth to include in each next version. Having a seperate site would just confuse people.
3.) A seperate site will require some minimum maintenace so it will require additional resources/time which I think is unecessary for now.
4.) There is already an add-on section in the forum with sticky threads (Doctor of Space has made a nice one lately) that is more than enough for current needs.

PC1:Core i7 970@3.34GHz, 6 cores/12 threads, 12GB DDR3 RAM@1.34GHz, 2x(SLI) GTX-580 GPUs 3GB VRAM(GDDR5)@1GHz, OS:Win7x64SP1
PC2:Core2Quad X9770@3.2GHz, 2 cores/4 threads 4GB DDR2 RAM@1GHz, GTX-285 GPU 1GB VRAM(DDR3)@1.24GHz, OS:WinVistax64SP2

Edited by neutronium76 - Saturday, 01.03.2014, 11:38

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 01.03.2014, 18:16 | Message # 258
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote neutronium76 ()
Space Engine is still in beta development and most addons become obsolete after a new version is released.

This is true of KSP as well, yet they have an addon site.

Quote neutronium76 ()
Space Engineer already includes many addons that he deems worth to include in each next version. Having a seperate site would just confuse people.

Not really; anything that's included in the program would obviously not be on the site.

Quote neutronium76 ()
A seperate site will require some minimum maintenace so it will require additional resources/time

This is the best reason

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

DeathStarDate: Sunday, 16.03.2014, 01:09 | Message # 259
Pioneer
Croatia
It would be nice if asteroids could generate in places other than asteroid belts, e.g. on a very similar orbit with another planet, orbiting as a quasi-satellite or just simply going through interplanetary space. Same with comets-there aren't any short-period comets(well, there are comets with less than 200 years orbital period, but they are around red dwarfs), or Oort cloud comets. Instead, every single comet is a scattered-disc object.

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 16.03.2014, 16:26 | Message # 260
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
The problem is what SE currently can handle up to 1000 objects in a single planetary system, or maybe 3000 with noticeable slowdown. So now SE can't model full population of all kind of asteroids and comets.

DeathStarDate: Sunday, 16.03.2014, 20:14 | Message # 261
Pioneer
Croatia
SpaceEngineer, I have three suggestions on how that could be handled, but I don't guarantee they will work(You know the engine better than I do):

1. The engine could cut down a bit on asteroid belt objects, and generate only a few of the other asteroid types. This is obviously the worst way, since it obviously doesn't fully solve the problem. Since SE will probably have protoplanetary discs and kuiper belts(and maybe even full Oort clouds, but that is doubtful), that still means that there needs to be a way for more objects to be taken care of.

2. Put a user-defined limit on the minimum size an object needs to be for it to even be rendered/generated(I know the two terms are vastly different). If someone has extreme processing power, they could put a limit all the way down to a few meters, while someone with a 5 year old Dell laptop could put it at a few hundred kilometers.

3. Make only local objects generate. What I mean by this is that an object will only be rendered/generated if a player is in its vicinity or is looking at the local area in map view. This is also problematic because of a particular reason: it would mean that events that the player doesn't witness never even happen. For example, if there is a meteor which at one point collides with a planet and forms a crater, if the player isn't in the vicinity at the time that happens, it won't even happen.

I think that the 2nd suggestion would be a relatively good temporary solution.

Edited by DeathStar - Sunday, 16.03.2014, 20:14

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 17.03.2014, 11:23 | Message # 262
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote DeathStar ()
down to a few meters

I guess this never be implemented. There are thousands of trillions bodies of such size in Solar System.
Also, changing any parameter in solar system generation will lead to change in numbering and naming system. This will broke planets/asteroids naming, so sharing with players will not work.

Quote DeathStar ()
an object will only be rendered/generated if a player is in its vicinity or is looking at the local area in map view.

Objects are moving. This is the main problem. Local visibility functions and structures like octree are working great with static geometry, but didn't work with moving objects.

laiodDate: Friday, 04.04.2014, 20:49 | Message # 263
Space Pilot
United States
It would be cool to eventually one day have oceans that change the face of the land over time. Or even like when stars are orbiting each other, they eventually combine into one star. I have no idea what that is called though. Something else would be like after millions of years, planets and stars and such change.

ASUS Radeon HD 7770 2GB, Crucial Ballistix 8GB x2, AMD FX-4130 3.8GHz, 1TB 7200rpm drive

SolarLinerDate: Friday, 04.04.2014, 21:37 | Message # 264
Explorer
France
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
I guess this never be implemented. There are thousands of trillions bodies of such size in Solar System.
Also, changing any parameter in solar system generation will lead to change in numbering and naming system. This will broke planets/asteroids naming, so sharing with players will not work.

Nope, but not take care of them after generation can eventually save power.
I mean: Space Engine generates every planet, and before getting too deep into the generation, if the planet is too small, do not render it. But it's still there, so planets naming won't be affected.

custom landing page to share: http://bit.ly/spaceengine

SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 04.04.2014, 22:06 | Message # 265
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote SolarLiner ()
if the planet is too small, do not render it. But it's still there, so planets naming won't be affected.

But this mean that SE must generate all billions of asteroids and save them in memory. This is impossible. Stars in a galaxy don't exist until camera get close to location of their parent node (cube of space). But unlike stars, asteroids are moving. It is impossible to predict where asteroid will be until you generate it and calculate its orbital position for a current moment of time.

RockoRocksDate: Friday, 04.04.2014, 23:10 | Message # 266
World Builder
Belgium
Would it be a good idea to translate the homepage into more languages than just Russian and English? If so I could help doing that.

I will be inactive on this forum for the time being. Might come back eventually

AMD AR-3305M APU w/ Radeon HD 1.90 GHz 6,00 GB RAM

laiodDate: Saturday, 03.05.2014, 02:38 | Message # 267
Space Pilot
United States
Something I want to suggest is a better way to be notified of thread posts from a subscribed thread. Maybe a notification NOT by email, but on the site itself.

ASUS Radeon HD 7770 2GB, Crucial Ballistix 8GB x2, AMD FX-4130 3.8GHz, 1TB 7200rpm drive

DeathStarDate: Saturday, 03.05.2014, 18:58 | Message # 268
Pioneer
Croatia
Very minor suggestion - how about supernova remnants without any remnant stars in their center? This would make sense, since a large portion of supernovae are caused by white dwarfs, during which no remnant is left.

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 03.05.2014, 20:15 | Message # 269
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote DeathStar ()
Very minor suggestion - how about supernova remnants without any remnant stars in their center?

Good suggestion, I agree.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

FastFourierTransformDate: Saturday, 03.05.2014, 22:07 | Message # 270
Pioneer
Group: Local Moderators
Spain
Quote RockoRocks ()
Would it be a good idea to translate the homepage into more languages than just Russian and English? If so I could help doing that.

I agree. I can Help doing that in Spanish if SpaceEngineer wants

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » General suggestions (Post your suggestions here.)
Page 18 of 69«1216171819206869»
Search: