Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 14 of 69«1212131415166869»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » General suggestions (Post your suggestions here.)
General suggestions
neutronium76Date: Tuesday, 10.12.2013, 03:23 | Message # 196
World Builder
Group: Users
Greece
I admit it does look cool:

PC1:Core i7 970@3.34GHz, 6 cores/12 threads, 12GB DDR3 RAM@1.34GHz, 2x(SLI) GTX-580 GPUs 3GB VRAM(GDDR5)@1GHz, OS:Win7x64SP1
PC2:Core2Quad X9770@3.2GHz, 2 cores/4 threads 4GB DDR2 RAM@1GHz, GTX-285 GPU 1GB VRAM(DDR3)@1.24GHz, OS:WinVistax64SP2

borek555Date: Friday, 20.12.2013, 19:05 | Message # 197
Space Tourist
Poland
What suprises me and isn't really realistic (if I'm wrong, please correct me wink ), is lack of oceans and seas on huge number of terras with life. Despite there are only few lakes, more than 50% of the surface is covered with plants. I can't imagine how there could be enough rain to make them grow such intensively. I have seen some hurricanes on these planets too, which is even less possible to occur without seas and oceans than huge amount of plants. wacko It would be far more realistic if there was a lower limit on the persentage of sea surface or the corelation between the amount of their surface to the area that plants take. (If that is obviously possible to implement)

Edited by borek555 - Friday, 20.12.2013, 19:32

WatsisnameDate: Friday, 20.12.2013, 19:45 | Message # 198
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Amount of liquid stored in oceans vs. atmosphere is enormous. If you could take all the water in the Earth's atmosphere and precipitate it out, it would only be a few inches deep. So it doesn't take much surface water coverage to maintain global precipitation. smile

JCandeiasDate: Friday, 20.12.2013, 22:06 | Message # 199
Pioneer
Group: Translators
Portugal
Quote Watsisname ()
So it doesn't take much surface water coverage to maintain global precipitation. smile

That's not entirely so. If you have only a limited area from which to evaporate, you'll get an atmosphere that will contain less water vapor than if evaporation could happen from a wider area. So, if all the other parameters are the same, a planet with small oceans should be less humid than a planet with vast oceans.

This said, it's true that terrestrial plants, by retaining water, can create evaporation where there would be none without them. So a planet with small oceans but vast areas covered by terrestrial plants would probably tend to have more moisture in the atmosphere than a planet wth no terrestrial plants but large oceans.

Life complicates everything. wink

They let me use this!

Edited by JCandeias - Saturday, 21.12.2013, 03:03

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Friday, 20.12.2013, 22:28 | Message # 200
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote borek555 ()
Despite there are only few lakes, more than 50% of the surface is covered with plants

Underground rivers and lakes, obviously the plants have very deep roots.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

peeprDate: Friday, 27.12.2013, 20:09 | Message # 201
Astronaut
Czech Republic
Free mode flying in 0.9.7.1 beta is very difficult sad bug?

My Space Engine ART --> http://goo.gl/XgJVu Hi-Res download --> http://goo.gl/Dfwsgv
Laptop: i7-3630QM 3.4 GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 660M 2GB DDR5. Settings: PlanetDetail : Craters 0.01 Terra 0.001 Clouds 0.01 GasGiant 0.1 PlanetCloudsTerra 4

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 27.12.2013, 20:36 | Message # 202
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote peepr ()
bug?

Nothing has changed with the free camera controls and behavior, so if things are different for you then something is wrong.

As for flying space ships, it's made to be more realistic than in previous versions. If you want to enable old-style flight controls for a ship (unlimited acceleration in any direction), enter the cheat code "ufo" into the console.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

peeprDate: Saturday, 28.12.2013, 09:47 | Message # 203
Astronaut
Czech Republic
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
enter the cheat code "ufo" into the console.

Thanks man ! smile

My Space Engine ART --> http://goo.gl/XgJVu Hi-Res download --> http://goo.gl/Dfwsgv
Laptop: i7-3630QM 3.4 GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 660M 2GB DDR5. Settings: PlanetDetail : Craters 0.01 Terra 0.001 Clouds 0.01 GasGiant 0.1 PlanetCloudsTerra 4

XaxX-0Date: Sunday, 29.12.2013, 06:02 | Message # 204
Observer
Group: Newbies
Canada
Is there something wrong with the universe generation with vers 0.9.7.1?

-Life seems to be generated mostly around pale dwarves only, and most of the Earth-like planets that I've found so far that are located into the habitable zone of the star are tidal locked.

-I keep finding cryo and subglacial life everywhere, that it's near ridiculous, as we don't even know if this kind of lifeform exists! It is making the search for Earth-like planets (1G-1atm) more difficult to find, even if the star browser can now list 10 000 stars...

Edited by XaxX-0 - Sunday, 29.12.2013, 06:44

DeathStarDate: Sunday, 29.12.2013, 12:33 | Message # 205
Pioneer
Croatia
Quote XaxX-0 ()
-Life seems to be generated mostly around pale dwarves only, and most of the Earth-like planets that I've found so far that are located into the habitable zone of the star are tidal locked.

Well, this would probably be the same case in real life, since red dwarfs are the most common type of star in the universe. Life around orange dwarfs is also common, but not as much. Life around yellow-dwarfs(Sun) is quite rare, I have to agree maybe a bit too rare, and life around white main-sequence stars is also too rare in my opinion.

Quote XaxX-0 ()
-I keep finding cryo and subglacial life everywhere, that it's near ridiculous, as we don't even know if this kind of lifeform exists! It is making the search for Earth-like planets (1G-1atm) more difficult to find, even if the star browser can now list 10 000 stars...

Exactly! I said this some time ago, and it looks like I am not the only one. Titans with life are everywhere. IMO these should be very rare since life is quite unlikely to develop in such harsh conditions, and we honestly dont even know if it exists, like you said. Oceanias, and especially Terras, are way, way too rare in this version.

apenpaapDate: Sunday, 29.12.2013, 13:27 | Message # 206
World Builder
Antarctica
The ubiquity of subglacial and floater life is probably because there are far fewer terras and oceanias than ice worlds, gas giants, and titans. Since liquid water needs a narrow range of temperatures and far bigger parts of space are frigid. Fortunately, the life-bearing chances of the various planet types can be adjusted in universe.cfg.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

XaxX-0Date: Monday, 30.12.2013, 04:32 | Message # 207
Observer
Group: Newbies
Canada
Quote DeathStar ()
Oceanias, and especially Terras, are way, way too rare in this version.

You can change ratio of Oceanias/Terras in the universe.cgf file like this:
ProbOceania 0.30 // Oceania -> Terra probability
But you can't rise the amout of % of finding chances.
what I do miss from the previous version is that I found LOTS of Earth-like terras with life orbiting gas giants, now they are harder to find...

Quote apenpaap ()
Fortunately, the life-bearing chances of the various planet types can be adjusted in universe.cfg

I have set everything like this:
ProbLifeTerra 0.300 // probability of life on terra
ProbLifeOceania 0.300 // probability of life on oceania
ProbLifeDesert 0.001 // probability of life on desert
ProbLifeIceWorld 0.000 // probability of life on ice world (under ice)
ProbLifeTitan 0.000 // probability of life on titan (exotic)
ProbLifeGasGiant 0.000 // probability of life on gas giant (floaters)

...but I'm still finding plenty. Another idea?

Edited by XaxX-0 - Monday, 30.12.2013, 04:34

apenpaapDate: Monday, 30.12.2013, 14:11 | Message # 208
World Builder
Antarctica
Odd, that should work. If it doesn't, it might be bugged.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

werdnaforeverDate: Tuesday, 31.12.2013, 03:30 | Message # 209
World Builder
Pirate
So I have a surface pro 2 now because I took my galaxy note back to the store for several reasons I won't get into. Although SpaceEngine wasn't one of those reasons (due to the lower specs/integrated graphics) but it still runs... well, OK at low settings.

Although I don't expect most tablets to be able to handle SE, many laptops are now coming with touch screens. I did a little searching and I'm not sure if it's been discussed before- having some kind of alternate control scheme for capacitive touch screen displays. This would be something akin to the controls for Google Earth's iOS and Android ports.

At least the Surface will let me use a keyboard and mouse. Also, turning down the mouse sensitivity makes the camera usable if you want to use the touch screen. I don't think this should be a high priority at the moment but it's a thought.

Quote neutronium76 ()
I admit it does look cool:

This looks awesome!

Quote JCandeias ()
I'm just asking if someday, once all the more important things are fully implemented, SE could have a few such filters to enhance image production with the program. Maybe as plugins, maybe as scripts, something to be added only if you like those things and want to use them. It wouldn't be relevant to scientific representation or as a gaming feature, but it could be so artistically.

An example might be the distortion of light/wavelengths/colors/FOV at relativistic speeds, which was discussed before.

Edited by werdnaforever - Tuesday, 31.12.2013, 03:35

RockoRocksDate: Tuesday, 31.12.2013, 10:54 | Message # 210
World Builder
Belgium
When adding or modifying galaxies in the galaxy catalog, the file is very hard and annoying to edit, because it is so big it easily makes notepad crash. IMO it would be better to have a galaxy catalog file for every Hubble type of galaxy, like "galaxies_SBc.sc", "galaxies_Sc.sc", "galaxies_E0-9.sc", "galaxies_S0", "galaxies_Irr.sc" etc.

I will be inactive on this forum for the time being. Might come back eventually

AMD AR-3305M APU w/ Radeon HD 1.90 GHz 6,00 GB RAM

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » General suggestions (Post your suggestions here.)
Page 14 of 69«1212131415166869»
Search: