Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 13 of 69«1211121314156869»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » General suggestions (Post your suggestions here.)
General suggestions
DeathStarDate: Saturday, 02.11.2013, 22:12 | Message # 181
Pioneer
Group: Users
Croatia
Although I personally am not involved in the development of the program, I can answer your suggestions:

1. This would be extremely hard to do, Although it is on the todo list as a very unlikely feature. You have no idea how opressive it would be on your hardware, since you could expect lag even on the strongest PCs. "There are artificial evolution simulators out there"- There is only one 3D evolution simulator out there that I know of (Species ALRE) and it is only for a small area with mostly preset conditions. In SE, you would have to simulate this for an entire planet with a huge amount of specifications vastly different from Earth. Also, SE is a universe generator, not an artificial evolution simulator.

2. I think this will be possible in the singleplayer exploration game, but not anytime soon, though.

3. Suggested millions of times

4. I think this will never happen. When you fast-forward into the future, the terrain would be generated as time passes. If you started fast forwarding backwards, I think (I am not a programmer though, so this may be wrong) you would literally have to start generating the terrain backwards, which is impossible.

5. On the to-do list

6. On the to-do list

7. This is probably not planned and would be completely pointless

8. Already suggested

curiousepicDate: Sunday, 03.11.2013, 00:03 | Message # 182
Space Pilot
Group: SE team
United States
I know lightning is covered under Weather on the To-Do list, but specifically, it would be amazing to see Upper-Atmospheric Effects, like Sprites and ELVES, perhaps very prominently on Gas Giants.

They would be especially awesome to see simulated in SE because there is such little actual footage of them!

My ideal preferences for visual design of the mothership and technology in SE
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

Edited by curiousepic - Sunday, 03.11.2013, 00:13

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 03.11.2013, 00:29 | Message # 183
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote curiousepic ()
I know lightning is covered under Weather on the To-Do list, but specifically, it would be amazing to see Upper-Atmospheric Effects, like Sprites and ELVES, perhaps very prominently on Gas Giants.

It's all on the to-do list:

Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Anyway, I should note: as long as SE is a scientifically accurate Universe simulator, then one day it will implement ALL space objects and phenomenon that are known to modern astronomy. So you may not bother yourself with questions like "will SE one day have meteor rain implemented". I guarantee that it WILL.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

JCandeiasDate: Tuesday, 05.11.2013, 18:35 | Message # 184
Pioneer
Group: Translators
Portugal
Here's a suggestion dealing with localizations.

While preparing and testing the pt-pt localization, I noticed that localized body names appear onscreen with the body information at the upper left, together with English and other designations. However, if you press F3 and try to look for them, they do not appear. And I think it'd be pretty useful if they did. Here's an example why:

While translating wiki entries for the pt-pt localization, I of course translated the entry on Chiron, which is mentioned in the entry on Saturn to explain Phoebe's origins. I had, however, to leave a reference to the English name of that centaur, otherwise people using the pt-pt localization wouldn't be able to find it. The Portuguese name, Quíron, just doesn't show up in the search list.

They let me use this!

neutronium76Date: Thursday, 14.11.2013, 08:25 | Message # 185
World Builder
Greece
Subtopic of this post: Distance Markers for various velocities

While traveling through the cosmos at various velocities, and especially at the lower and more realistic ranges from a few km/sec to a few thousand km/sec, I find it quite difficult to realize the distances covered within these velocity ranges. Although traveling very fast (even the 1 km/sec is about 2-2.5 times faster than a bullet exiting a gun barrel) you have the illusion that you are not moving at all. So I thought that by having an option (in the graphics menu or the F4 objects menu) to activate distance markers - something like a 3D ruler in space, where you can see distance covered in front of you, with units changing according to your velocity, would be a cool feature to have smile . What do you guys think?

Also this feature could be programmed to dim off as you approach certain objects like asteroids, rings, comets, planets, stars, where the effect of velocity is more observable. This feature could look like the current orbital plane that is drawn in universe map (F1). smile
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Added (14.11.2013, 11:25)
---------------------------------------------
Subtopic: Estimated Time of Arrival

A Timer/Clock that shows a countdown of estimated time of arrival (ETA) to a certain selected target/object. The clock will update ETA depending on factors such velocity of spacecraft, time acceleration, hyperdrive factor and motion/position of celestial objects (and their combination).

PC1:Core i7 970@3.34GHz, 6 cores/12 threads, 12GB DDR3 RAM@1.34GHz, 2x(SLI) GTX-580 GPUs 3GB VRAM(GDDR5)@1GHz, OS:Win7x64SP1
PC2:Core2Quad X9770@3.2GHz, 2 cores/4 threads 4GB DDR2 RAM@1GHz, GTX-285 GPU 1GB VRAM(DDR3)@1.24GHz, OS:WinVistax64SP2

Edited by neutronium76 - Thursday, 14.11.2013, 08:27

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Thursday, 14.11.2013, 08:42 | Message # 186
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote neutronium76 ()
A Timer/Clock that shows a countdown of estimated time of arrival (ETA) to a certain selected target/object. The clock will update ETA depending on factors such velocity of spacecraft, time acceleration, hyperdrive factor and motion/position of celestial objects (and their combination).

I suggested this very thing a while back as well. I think it would be quite useful.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

alfskiDate: Sunday, 08.12.2013, 01:01 | Message # 187
Observer
Australia
G'day, apologies not sure where to exactly post this.

Intel have updated their atmosphere light scattering demo, which now implements multiple light scattering in the atmosphere.
I'm not sure if this is something that is in SE or not already or could be incorporated?

Blog http://software.intel.com/en-us....-update

Source https://github.com/GameTechDev/OutdoorLightScattering/

Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6chbTg7_LzY

Andrew | eResearch | University of Western Sydney

Attachments: 0567390.png(59Kb)

JCandeiasDate: Sunday, 08.12.2013, 19:36 | Message # 188
Pioneer
Portugal
Hey, Vladimir, any chance of having an effect such as this one added to SE one day, just for the lulz? smile

http://imgur.com/gallery/KDrhh

They let me use this!

VoekoevakaDate: Sunday, 08.12.2013, 19:48 | Message # 189
World Builder
Group: SE team
France
I think this wound not.

Firstly, what effect you talk about ? About the appearence of the nebula, or about the blur on stars ?

The nebula image is an infrared, and as SE will simulate the universe as seen through visible light, it will surely not be implemented. And about the blur, there is no need for blurring image in SE.

Want some music of mine ? Please go here !

JCandeiasDate: Sunday, 08.12.2013, 20:20 | Message # 190
Pioneer
Portugal
I'm talking about the effect itself, a photographic technique called tilt-shift (which is digitally simulated in those images), that makes big things look really small.

It'd be cute to have it for imagemaking with SE (along with other depth of field options, pehaps), but I'm fully aware that it's far from necessary. That's why I wrote it was "for the lulz".

They let me use this!

neutronium76Date: Monday, 09.12.2013, 10:50 | Message # 191
World Builder
Greece
Quote JCandeias ()
that makes big things look really small

This is like trying to miniaturize the universe. Although it looks cool, it is highly unrealistic. It also introduces the 3D aspect that doesn't exist in the real universe. The human eye can't recognize the depth of field in astronomical scales - only in small distances in the microscopic and short range scales (nanometers up to a few meters). So why use something that is not real? I don't understand the term ''for the lulz'' but I suspect it means something like ''eye candy''. But ''eye candy'' is appropriate only if it doesn't conflict with scientific reality IMHO smile .

Quote alfski ()
Intel have updated their atmosphere light scattering demo, which now implements multiple light scattering in the atmosphere.

alfski, this looks awesome! I hope it can be easily implemented in SE. SE already uses an advanced atmospheric light scattering technique however the developers of your suggestion took it to a whole new level blink

PC1:Core i7 970@3.34GHz, 6 cores/12 threads, 12GB DDR3 RAM@1.34GHz, 2x(SLI) GTX-580 GPUs 3GB VRAM(GDDR5)@1GHz, OS:Win7x64SP1
PC2:Core2Quad X9770@3.2GHz, 2 cores/4 threads 4GB DDR2 RAM@1GHz, GTX-285 GPU 1GB VRAM(DDR3)@1.24GHz, OS:WinVistax64SP2

Edited by neutronium76 - Monday, 09.12.2013, 10:58

JCandeiasDate: Monday, 09.12.2013, 19:22 | Message # 192
Pioneer
Portugal
You guys sometimes act as if one's asking to replace the current way of seing things with some weird unrealistic approach, when it's just a question of adding options to what there is. Of course tilt-shifting is unrealistic. It's even a bit of an optical illusion, and not only in astronomical scales, in the sense that it only works at all because our brains are wired in such a manner that we interpret images with apparent short depth of field as depicting small things. So I'm in no way suggesting to set it as some sort of pattern.

I'm just asking if someday, once all the more important things are fully implemented, SE could have a few such filters to enhance image production with the program. Maybe as plugins, maybe as scripts, something to be added only if you like those things and want to use them. It wouldn't be relevant to scientific representation or as a gaming feature, but it could be so artistically.

And in any case, it's just a thought for the long run. I most definitely do not want to have SpaceEngineer wasting time with these things in the near future.

Edit: Ah, and for those that don't know the expression "for the lulz", here's an explanation: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=for%20the%20lulz

They let me use this!

Edited by JCandeias - Monday, 09.12.2013, 19:23

WatsisnameDate: Tuesday, 10.12.2013, 01:31 | Message # 193
Galaxy Architect
United States

JCandeiasDate: Tuesday, 10.12.2013, 02:23 | Message # 194
Pioneer
Portugal
That's the spirit. smile

Although it works better with somewhat isolated features. Like an island. smile

Attachments: 9477706.jpg(135Kb)

They let me use this!

WatsisnameDate: Tuesday, 10.12.2013, 02:30 | Message # 195
Galaxy Architect
United States
Yeah, quite so. In seriousness, I don't have any idea how easy or difficult this effect would be to implement as an option in SE, but I think it's safe to say it takes less time to fake it in an image editing program than it would take to code it. If you like, it could be a fun thing to do some of these and post them in the image dump thread. smile

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » General suggestions (Post your suggestions here.)
Page 13 of 69«1211121314156869»
Search: