Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 12 of 69«1210111213146869»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » General suggestions (Post your suggestions here.)
General suggestions
JCandeiasDate: Wednesday, 23.10.2013, 13:50 | Message # 166
Pioneer
Group: Translators
Portugal
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
For me they are nicely randomized. They have random angular orbital parameters such as argument of pericentre and mean amonaly, so they never line up.

Fully procedural systems? Yes. But not built up systems. That's the point. This idea/suggestion/younameit is useless for fully procedural systems, but would be handy for the ones one builds.

They let me use this!

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 23.10.2013, 16:47 | Message # 167
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote JCandeias ()
Fully procedural systems? Yes. But not built up systems. That's the point. This idea/suggestion/younameit is useless for fully procedural systems, but would be handy for the ones one builds.

Just randomize MeanAnomaly for each planet.

JCandeiasDate: Sunday, 27.10.2013, 15:21 | Message # 168
Pioneer
Portugal
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Just randomize MeanAnomaly for each planet.

Hm... yeah, that wouldn't help me with my old Celestia systems (I mean, the amount of work needed to manually add other epochs to each body is the same as adding random mean anomalies), but should work just fine for new ones indeed.

(why hadn't I thought of that?! O_o)

Added (27.10.2013, 18:21)
---------------------------------------------
You know what I sometimes miss, particularly when I'm at (or near) the surface of some planet or asteroid?

A sense of scale.

I know this is probably not the easiest thing to implement, but I'd love to be able to look at a scene and have a way to know how far a given feature is or how vast it is. Something akin to the distance measurements in Google Earth, but also able to tell distances from the observer and, say, a mountain.

I've seen that there are plans to provide information on how high a mountain is, for instance, but I didn't see mentions to this kind of information before.

They let me use this!

Edited by JCandeias - Wednesday, 23.10.2013, 18:42

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 27.10.2013, 15:31 | Message # 169
Cosmic Curator
United States
Knowing your current velocity and how much something moves while you're moving (parallax) can provide you with a sense of scale. Pick a familiar speed to move at (the speed of an average jet airplane, for example) and use it to get a more intuitive understanding of the environment.

In the future when things like procedural rocks and other surface details are added there will be a more realistic sense of scale. But the fact of the matter is that you won't always have a way to determine scale in reality. Astronauts on the surface of the Moon experienced this firsthand. So why is it necessary to have it in SE?

Having such a tool might be useful, but I wouldn't expect it to be added very soon.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

JCandeiasDate: Sunday, 27.10.2013, 18:27 | Message # 170
Pioneer
Portugal
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
Knowing your current velocity and how much something moves while you're moving (parallax) can provide you with a sense of scale. Pick a familiar speed to move at (the speed of an average jet airplane, for example) and use it to get a more intuitive understanding of the environment.

In the future when things like procedural rocks and other surface details are added there will be a more realistic sense of scale. But the fact of the matter is that you won't always have a way to determine scale in reality. Astronauts on the surface of the Moon experienced this firsthand. So why is it necessary to have it in SE?

Having such a tool might be useful, but I wouldn't expect it to be added very soon.

All that may be true, but my point of vue is different from most people's. I'm only slightly interested in SE as a game; I'm much more interested in it as a wonderful tool to grasp geography and atmosphere, environment and background, in fictional settings. I'm a writer (a translator, professionally), not a gamer. And therefore I'm more interested in such features that could help me get the information I need than in strict gameplay realism. So yes, indeed, by picking a known speed and travelling around we get to know, more or less, how distant things are. But that's playing. It takes time I'd rather spend creating new places and stories after having that information neatly delivered to me in numerical form.

Had I infinite time to do everything I'd like to, I'd do all my characters' travels, at their own speeds, myself. I don't, though. So some things are better left to the objectivity of numbers.

This said, I'm totally aware that SpaceEngineer will implement what he wants, whenever he decides, in order to fulfill his own objetives for his program. I'm just making suggestions (and explaining them). Call it a personal wishlist, if you will.

They let me use this!

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 27.10.2013, 18:38 | Message # 171
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote JCandeias ()
But that's playing.

I agree with everything you're saying, except for this one statement. It's not playing any more than pacing out a distance rather than using a laser measurer is. It's making a measurement with the tools available. The guy Eratosthenes hired to pace the distance between Alexandria and Syene was hardly playing.

That said, I do think it would be great to have the tools you're suggesting. I just don't think it's likely to happen in the very near term, hence my suggestion of alternate methods.

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Sunday, 27.10.2013, 18:39

JCandeiasDate: Sunday, 27.10.2013, 23:10 | Message # 172
Pioneer
Portugal
I get what you saying, but... well... what can I say? I much rather be Erastothenes than the guy doing the walking... wink

They let me use this!

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 28.10.2013, 08:51 | Message # 173
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Teleport a shuttle to the point where you are, and use it as scale reference. It have a size of jet airplane.

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 28.10.2013, 14:11 | Message # 174
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Teleport a shuttle to the point where you are, and use it as scale reference. It have a size of jet airplane.

Actually the shuttle is smaller than it should be. In reality a shuttle of that type should be at least twice the length that it is if it is intended to carry people. (The US and Soviet space shuttles were each twice the length of the SE shuttle; the SE shuttle would be difficult to fit people into.)

My SE mods and addons

JCandeiasDate: Monday, 28.10.2013, 22:55 | Message # 175
Pioneer
Portugal
Quote HarbingerDawn ()

It works! Not as a scale reference, though (see below), but because I can teleport it to the point I want to measure the distance to, then go to the point I want to measure the distance from and check how far I am from the shuttle itself.

It can't be used as a scale reference, though, except for really small stuff. If I want to, say, know the distance from that coastal plain across this gulf here:

And the mountain I'm at, I can teleport the shuttle, yeah:

But looong before I reach the plain the shuttle becomes not even a speck on my monitor. At the plain, all I see is the mountain itself.

The shuttle is still there. But completely invisible.

Still, I have the distance to it: about 250 km.

And this makes me think that the only tricky part in implementing my suggestion may be to know where, exactly, the user is clicking to set starting and ending points for distance measurements, given the 3D nature of the whole thing; everything else, all the coordinates, and therefore all the distances, are already calculated routinely.

Attachments: 4430742.jpg(239Kb) · 1187567.jpg(168Kb) · 9827324.jpg(224Kb)

They let me use this!

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 28.10.2013, 23:18 | Message # 176
Cosmic Curator
United States
Since you also have the latitude and longitude of your camera, as well as the planet's radius, you could calculate the distance across the surface of that planet from any point to any point.

My SE mods and addons

JCandeiasDate: Tuesday, 29.10.2013, 01:58 | Message # 177
Pioneer
Portugal
True, although the "shuttle method" is more flexible because it can also be used to gauge vertical or at least diagonal distances, wereas mathematically one is limited to flat distances. This isn't of great relevance in cases such as the one I used as example, but if I wanted to know how far I'd have to walk, say, from the base of that smaller mountain in the peninsula on the right to its first terrace, the vertical distance would be paramount.

They let me use this!

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 29.10.2013, 02:03 | Message # 178
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote JCandeias ()
if I wanted to know how far I'd have to walk, say, from the base of that smaller mountain in the peninsula on the right to its first terrace, the vertical distance would be paramount.

But the shuttle method doesn't take into account the curvature of the planet, while the other method does, meaning it is less useful for long distances. The shuttle method is only superior over small distances (up to a few hundred kilometers).

My SE mods and addons

JCandeiasDate: Wednesday, 30.10.2013, 15:10 | Message # 179
Pioneer
Portugal
Yes. Or less than that in smaller bodies. Or more in larger ones. As a general rule of thumb, if the place you are trying to measure your distance to is beyond the horizon, then you probably should do it analytically (besides, the longer the horizontal distances, the more negligible become vertical ones).

And the fact that there is no single method entirely satisfactory for all situations is one more argument in favor of SpaceEngineer implementing this feature, in my not so humble and not quite disinterested opinion. wink

They let me use this!

TenebristhedarkenedDate: Saturday, 02.11.2013, 00:21 | Message # 180
Space Tourist
Group: Users
United States
1. Procedural life was mentioned. Perhaps we could simulate the evolution of such over time. For earth, for most of its history, past and present, life could be known lifeforms, both living and extinct. But the future could hold descendants of existing lifeforms, depending on what happens. Perhaps life of other chemistries could be, for Titans. To prevent lag, perhaps life could be rendered only when you are on it, but, it could still be simulated when you are off it, so, if you are in Africa on Earth, that pack of lions you saw would not be in the same place, or may not still be alive. The evolution of life would be determined by factors such as the environment, the composition of the planet. This would not be impossible, there are artificial evolution simulators out there.

2. Being able to drill into rock and ice, to view deeper layers, such as the core of rocky planets, and oceans under ice planets.

3. Carbon planets.

4. Going back in time will also cause you to go back in terms of the geography of the planet you are on if you are on one, and the location of stars. Going into the future would go into the future of it's geography, and the location of stars. This may cause lag though.

5. Quasars.

6. Volcanism, and asteroid impacts.

7. Earth should work similar to Google Earth, in that you could possibly find your home if you wanted to. But maybe after a certain period of time, maybe say, 10,000 years, you will not find anything on Earth in terms of that, because it would be impossible to predict the future of where cities are, where countries will be, and what countries will die out, but, changing geography could apply to that, and going around 100 years in the past of Earth, you would not find anything, for it may be too difficult to work that out. Maybe perhaps there could be an option to turn this ability on and off.

8. Being able to view the composition of a planet.

Edited by Tenebristhedarkened - Saturday, 02.11.2013, 00:21

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » General suggestions (Post your suggestions here.)
Page 12 of 69«1210111213146869»
Search: