RUS New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 212»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Suggestion: Protoplanetary Disks
Suggestion: Protoplanetary Disks
KyleDate: Monday, 10.12.2012, 06:32 | Message # 1
Space Tourist
Group: Users
United States
I did some forum searching in Development Status and Suggestions and Feedback and I couldn't find anything on the addition of protoplanetary disks in Space Engine. Now I don't want to rush SpaceEngineer into anything but it would be nice to have some sort of younger star with very young planets and lots of asteroids to serve as a young stars disk. They would of course be found in and around nebulae. Any thoughts on this idea?

PC: i7 4790k 4.0GHz Geforce GTX 980ti 16GB DDR3 RAM

VoekoevakaDate: Monday, 10.12.2012, 08:34 | Message # 2
World Builder
Group: SE team
France
Thy have rendered comets, by a particle animation. I think rendering a proto-planetary disk is not very far from rendering a comets's dust tail.
The proto-planetary dusk can be seen like a giant disk of dust around the star.

Want some music of mine ? Please go here !

Joey_PenguinDate: Monday, 10.12.2012, 17:04 | Message # 3
Pioneer
United States
This is on the top of my wish list as well, along with carbon and lava worlds and more varied solar systems.

I was thinking we could render the disk as a combination of a ring (like around a planet), dust sprites (like in a galaxy), and a massive asteroid belt with dozens of molten, ringed protoplanets. The ratio of each could depend on the system's age.

They don't have to simulate the actual formation process, just give us one more thing to explore.

EDIT: And let's not forget accretion disks around those black holes! happy

Careful. The PLATT Collective has spurs.

Edited by Joey_Penguin - Monday, 10.12.2012, 17:07

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 10.12.2012, 18:15 | Message # 4
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Accretion disks are in the TODO list. Protoplanetary disks is actually the same as accretion disks around stars, and thus can be made by the same particle system. This was obvious for me, so I didn't mention it in the TODO list.

But to be ahead with such suggestions, I must say that as long as SE is a scientifically accurate Universe simulator, then one day it will implement ALL space objects and phenomenon that are known to modern astronomy. So you may not bother yourself with questions like "will SE one day have meteor rain implemented". I guarantee that it WILL. This is so obvious to me, but maybe I should add this note at the beginning of the TODO list?

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 10.12.2012, 20:03 | Message # 5
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
This is so obvious to me, but maybe I should add this note at the beginning of the TODO list?

That would be a good idea. Just to tell people that everything known to the science of astronomy is automatically on the TODO list regardless of whether it is listed or not.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

KyleDate: Monday, 10.12.2012, 22:40 | Message # 6
Space Tourist
United States
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
I guarantee that it WILL.

Alright thanks for that info. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

RodrigoDate: Monday, 10.12.2012, 23:40 | Message # 7
Explorer
Group: Local Moderators
Brazil
eh..?

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 10.12.2012, 23:42 | Message # 8
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Rodrigo)
eh..?

Oh you...

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

KyleDate: Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 04:39 | Message # 9
Space Tourist
United States
Quote (Rodrigo)
eh..?

Very nice!

FastFourierTransformDate: Friday, 24.10.2014, 18:55 | Message # 10
Pioneer
Group: Local Moderators
Spain
Where was that Rodrigo?
O_O

It looks like a T-Tauri, but why where and when? wacko

DeathStarDate: Friday, 24.10.2014, 19:22 | Message # 11
Pioneer
Croatia
Quote FastFourierTransform ()
Where was that Rodrigo?
O_O

It looks like a T-Tauri, but why where and when?

He made a nebula with that model.

HirnsausenDate: Tuesday, 28.10.2014, 16:25 | Message # 12
Observer
Jamaica
I like this idea, and would support it. I want to see young solar systems, where the planets are in the making, with plenty asteroids and crashes. And I would love to see dying solar systems, the sun blowing up. And I also would like to see solar systems where the sun blew up already and a white dwarf remains, with a few old or even again new planets around it. I wonder, if a white dwarf has a habitable zone around it, too, and could attract life again on its planets..?

Edited by Hirnsausen - Wednesday, 29.10.2014, 14:46

DeathStarDate: Tuesday, 28.10.2014, 18:23 | Message # 13
Pioneer
Croatia
Quote Hirnsausen ()
I want to see young solar systems, where the planets are in the making, with plenty asteroids and crashes. And I would love to see dying solar systems, the sun blowing up.

Asteroid collisions, although apparently planned, so far seem like a very distant-future feature, and I wouldn't hold my breath for them in the near future.

Planet collisions and stellar evolution both seem pretty impossible right now. Planetary collisions would create a HUGE amount of debris which would be very taxing on the average PC to simulate. Stellar evolution, on the other hand, would probably require an almost complete engine rewrite.

Quote Hirnsausen ()
the sun blew up already and a white dwarf remains

No offense, but that is not how stellar evolution works. The average star doesn't explode, it just slowly loses its outer layers due to solar wind until only the dense core(white dwarf) remains. It is really a relatively peaceful event. Only huge stars actually explode.

Quote Hirnsausen ()
with a few old or even again new planets around it.

Will be in the next version(check the 0.97.2 progress thread).

Quote Hirnsausen ()
if a white dwarf has a habitable zone around it, too, and could attract life again on its planets..?

'Habitable zone' is a redundant term. Life in SE can appear in subglacial environments on planets around 20K and can appear in deserts as hot as around 400K. There could probably be subglacial life on ice worlds around the white dwarf, though I don't guarantee it since I'm not an astrobiologist.

WatsisnameDate: Wednesday, 29.10.2014, 05:50 | Message # 14
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Quote Hirnsausen ()
]i wonder, if a white dwarf has a habitable zone around it, too, and could attract life again on its planets..?

It is a very narrow region, smaller than the distance where planets would have been vaporized during the star's giant phases, and it experiences much UV flux. Any planet in this region must also be tidally locked. So... not strictly impossible, but you can see it from there. wink

edit: Sorry, quoted the wrong person.

Edited by Watsisname - Wednesday, 29.10.2014, 05:52

HirnsausenDate: Wednesday, 29.10.2014, 14:52 | Message # 15
Observer
Jamaica
Thanks for the answers, good spirit in this forum. Here a correction: with "blowing up" I actually meant that the old sun blows the outer layers up into space, I didn't mean the blow-up of an explosion. I am writing in English, but I still think in my own language (German). There we use the term blow-up for blowing the layers up into space. :-)

White Dwarf: I was thinking, since white dwarfs endure for very long times, some of them could catch during the eons new planets, wanderers, or thought the destruction of the inner planets, the outer planets are destabilized gravitationally in their orbits and some might end up getting closer and re-stabilize in narrower orbits. Just a think tank...

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Suggestion: Protoplanetary Disks
Page 1 of 212»
Search: