[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 40 of 61«1238394041426061»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress 0.97
Work progress 0.97
TimDate: Wednesday, 30.01.2013, 13:47 | Message # 586
Explorer
Group: Users
Belgium
I believe he means the influence of objects on each other. The problem is, in a real gravity simulation many planets and stars would be swung out of the system. Some may become moons of a gas giant etc.
This will probably get implemented one day though.

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 30.01.2013, 15:37 | Message # 587
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (Tim)
I believe he means the influence of objects on each other.

If that is the case, then no it will never be implemented in this program. In the future (a few years from now) if SE is successful, then Vladimir might make a universe simulator that has gravity, evolution of planets/stars/galaxies, collisions, etc. But that would be a separate piece of software based on this engine. The SE planetarium will never have that.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

NyarlathotepDate: Wednesday, 30.01.2013, 19:16 | Message # 588
Observer
Germany
A universe simulator must also contain the time dilatation. It's not really realistic if you travel through the galaxy at light speed and it takes 200 years to reach a 200 lightyears distant planet. ;-)

Intel Core2Quad Q6600@2,9 GHz, 6 GB DDR2-RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6950 with 2048 MB VRAM, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

DreycruxDate: Wednesday, 30.01.2013, 20:17 | Message # 589
Observer
Group: Newbies
Canada
This is an incredible universe simulator, I show everyone I can this program. I tell people about Space engine everywhere I go.

Keep up the incredible work. I would of never dreamed I could explore the universe from my chair! I thought I had to wait until after I had died!

Memories of this program will always be with me.

Thank-you!

NyarlathotepDate: Thursday, 31.01.2013, 09:25 | Message # 590
Observer
Germany
Quote (Dreycrux)
This is an incredible universe simulator

SE isn't a universe simulator. It's just a virtual planetarium like HarbingerDawn said. A universe simulator would simulate the universe with all it's principles of nature and physics. SE doesn't do this and sadly won't do this. Probably there will be a program sometime in the future which simulates the universe or probably there won't be anything like that. But indeed, SE is a marvelous widget.

Intel Core2Quad Q6600@2,9 GHz, 6 GB DDR2-RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6950 with 2048 MB VRAM, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 31.01.2013, 13:47 | Message # 591
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote (Nyarlathotep)
SE doesn't do this and sadly won't do this.

SE can't do that. And no one program can do that. Imagine 100 billion galaxies with 100 billion stars in each, with 100-1000 bodies in each planetary system. It simply impossible to perform N-body gravity simulation for such amount of objects.

Programs like Universe Sandbox can simulate only one "scene" with number of object limited to few thousands. I can implement such feature in SE, but this would look wierd. If player wants to crash a planet into a star, he must enter gravity simulation mode, what will work only for that planetary system. After playing, changes can be saved with some restrictions.

NyarlathotepDate: Thursday, 31.01.2013, 14:18 | Message # 592
Observer
Germany
Ok, so we have to wait 100 years or more. Then such a program could be realized by someone, powered by quantum computers. biggrin

lexrazorDate: Thursday, 31.01.2013, 16:37 | Message # 593
Astronaut
Bulgaria
I really dont see the point of trying to simulate the whole universe. Doesn't matter what kind of computer they use. We barely even scratch the surface of the comsic laws and sorts. It's really better to try and fix our own planet as much as we can without making pointless finantial investments like a universal simulator. Im pretty happy with what SE is giving us so far and of course what's the planned finished product, even if it just stays as a space simulation software. When you think about it, what we have here is our own galactic map which can be used for future space exploration, course ploting and just a general database. I honestly dont even need it to be a game when it has that bigger potential. smile

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 31.01.2013, 17:01 | Message # 594
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (lexrazor)
I really dont see the point of trying to simulate the whole universe. Doesn't matter what kind of computer they use.

And don't forget, any true simulation of all of the universe would need to include that computer simulating itself simulating the universe including simulating itself simulating the universe including simulating itself... on and on in an infinite regress biggrin

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

lexrazorDate: Thursday, 31.01.2013, 17:54 | Message # 595
Astronaut
Bulgaria
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
And don't forget, any true simulation of all of the universe would need to include that computer simulating itself simulating the universe including simulating itself simulating the universe including simulating itself... on and on in an infinite regress biggrin

Which would ultimately lead to the Big Bang again lol

AaronDate: Thursday, 31.01.2013, 20:33 | Message # 596
Space Tourist
United States
Check out this research paper. smile

http://arxiv.org/abs/1210.1847

Quote (lexrazor)
And don't forget, any true simulation of all of the universe would need to include that computer simulating itself simulating the universe including simulating itself simulating the universe including simulating itself... on and on in an infinite regress

ZackGDate: Saturday, 02.02.2013, 21:02 | Message # 597
Space Pilot
United States
Well. Development sure is taking long. Hope nothing happened to SE while I was gone.

MOBO:ASUS Sabertooth Mark I
CPU:Intel I7 4790 3.6Ghz
GPU:NVIDIA GTX960 4GB
Memory:32GB 1600Mhz (Corsair 4x8GB)

werdnaforeverDate: Sunday, 03.02.2013, 01:52 | Message # 598
World Builder
Pirate
Regarding the ability to duplicate models without using more memory:

In Trimble SketchUp, you can create "components", which are duplicated objects.

Could SpaceEngine take advantage of this? Will I one day be able to take a SketchUp file and create a space engine ship out of it, with single components replicated without taking up more memory?

The only problem I see with that is that while the internal geometry of a component is always identical to that of its counterparts, a component can still be rescaled/resized, or painted different colors (painting a component changes only the appearance of the default material in the component. Areas that have already been textured stay the same)

For example, when I want to make something guaranteed to be symmetrical, I can do it using a component containing one half of the geometry. There are copies of the component: the original, and one that's been scaled by -1.00 on an axis. The geometry is the same; it's just "flipped". This probably wouldn't work properly outside of SketchUp.

The second problem would probably involve the component hierarchy. You can have components that consist only of smaller components, like a component in the shape of a section of wooden fence being made of a dozen components shaped like boards of wood. There isn't actually any geometry in the fence section. Rather, there's just a bunch of smaller components "nested" in the larger one.

Why am I really asking this? It's 'cause I have a model in SketchUp with nearly 390,000 instances of components (total, including nested components) and almost 5 million faces (even more polygons since a face isn't necessarily a polygon, unless I'm wrong and sketchup just uses "face" instead of "polygon"). The actual file for the project is 2.65 mb, since I don't have textures. Will this ever see the light of day in SE without the need for a gigantic mesh file? Not likely. It would be cool, nevertheless.

Edited by werdnaforever - Sunday, 03.02.2013, 01:53

SolarisDate: Tuesday, 05.02.2013, 23:19 | Message # 599
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
France
To all of you who are looking forward to SE v0.97, your patience will be rewarded !

A good job can't be rush, so hang on guys, just a little bit longer !

Jeroll3dDate: Wednesday, 06.02.2013, 00:21 | Message # 600
Astronaut
Brazil
That is simply amazing!

happy happy happy happy

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress 0.97
Page 40 of 61«1238394041426061»
Search: