Page 4 of 61«1234566061»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress 0.97
Work progress 0.97
smjjamesDate: Wednesday, 19.09.2012, 21:47 | Message # 46
World Builder
Group: Users
United States
Two questions here:

1. I'm just wondering how much you reduced the atmospheric desnity of terran atmospheres? Super dense atmospheres seem all too common and I wouldn't know what a reasonable high atmospheric density value would be.

2. It was mentioned on some other thread that the axial tilts tend to stay near 0 rather than go wild like 100 degrees or something unless the object was hit by something massive enough to skew it's axial tilt. Are you going to be tweaking that?

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 20.09.2012, 09:24 | Message # 47
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
1) I haven't change atmosphere density, but its height.
2) Who said that? This is not true. Look at our Solar System:

Mercury 0°06'
Venus 177°36'
Earth 23°26'
Mars 25°12'
Jupiter 3°12'
Saturn 26°42'
Uranus 97°48'
Neptune 29°36'

It is looks like the mean value of axial tilt is 20-30°, not 0° (Earth, Mars, Saturn, Neptune). All other planets are anomalous. Mercury and Venus - Solar tidal effects, Uranus - great impact, Jupiter probably was formed without great impacts.

smjjamesDate: Thursday, 20.09.2012, 17:33 | Message # 48
World Builder
United States
1. Maybe the atmosphere thickness is (partially?) why we're seeing a lot of really high density atmospheres with terras (even those about Earths size or smaller)?

2. I was referring to this post: http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/8-972-9782-16-1345938170 question 5. I may have misinterpreted what that poster was saying a bit or badly explained what I was trying to say. You even said you were going to look into it.

Edited by smjjames - Thursday, 20.09.2012, 17:37

ConquestiDate: Sunday, 23.09.2012, 21:03 | Message # 49
Astronaut
Spain
How do I see the context menu with information of planets and ships?

I put the right button of the mouse but it does not work

Attachments: 8891097.jpg(205Kb)

Edited by Conquesti - Sunday, 23.09.2012, 21:04

smjjamesDate: Sunday, 23.09.2012, 21:17 | Message # 50
World Builder
United States
Where did you get that version? AFAIK, SpaceEngineer hasn't released the version with the context stuff yet. Unless you're a beta tester.

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 23.09.2012, 21:21 | Message # 51
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Conquesti)
How do I see the context menu with information of planets and ships?

These features do not exist yet, they will be released in the next version.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

WatsisnameDate: Monday, 24.09.2012, 02:57 | Message # 52
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
Desaturation of the faint stars (simulating color sensitivity of the eye)

Apologies if this has been answered/discussed already and I missed it, but I was wondering if this will alter how starfields will look in procedural galaxies to make them appear more similar (star color, brightness, and distribution wise) to how they look when near the Solar System? Or does that have more to do with how the procedural generation itself compared to the catalog of known stars?

Edited by Watsisname - Monday, 24.09.2012, 03:00

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 24.09.2012, 03:16 | Message # 53
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Watsisname)
Apologies if this has been answered/discussed already and I missed it, but I was wondering if this will alter how starfields will look in procedural galaxies to make them appear more similar (star color, brightness, and distribution wise) to how they look when near the Solar System? Or does that have more to do with how the procedural generation itself compared to the catalog of known stars?

It won't affect the generation of stars at all, it will only make stars that have a dimmer apparent magnitude have a lower color saturation, which gives a much more realistic appearance. To the human eye, only very bright stars have noticeable colors, most stars just look gray/white because they are too dim for their color to be detected by the eye.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Monday, 24.09.2012, 03:16

WatsisnameDate: Monday, 24.09.2012, 07:59 | Message # 54
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Ah, cool, that should indeed give the night sky a more realistic appearance! Looking forward to it and the other changes. smile

Edited by Watsisname - Monday, 24.09.2012, 07:59

neutronium76Date: Monday, 24.09.2012, 09:35 | Message # 55
World Builder
Greece
Quote (Watsisname)

Check this old thread of mine here: http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/8-260-1

I still believe that there is room for improvement in the way procedural stars fill up a galaxy - especially in Milky Way. What I have noticed from the way procedural stars are generated and depicted in SE, is that there is a much higher diversity of star size, type, color and distribution in the ''sphere'' of catalog stars around our solar system. When you move out of this ''sphere'' the pattern tends to become more predictive and repetitive. Take open-type star clusters for example: There are far more open clusters around our sun than in any other part of the galaxy. It seem that the procedural engine doesn't take into account this pattern when generating procedural stars in other parts of the galaxy. Also there appear to be more blue, white stars and giants inside that sphere - obviously catalog, but again the engine doesn't produce randomly this type of stars or it doesn't produce them im similar quantities or with similar distribution pattern throughout the galaxy.

Of course generating stars in other galaxies is a whole different story: Because we simply don't have any knowledge of star distribution in other galaxies smile .

Ps: the above thread is old and refers to an older version of SE (0.94). However the situation is similar in current version.

PC1:Core i7 970@3.34GHz, 6 cores/12 threads, 12GB DDR3 RAM@1.34GHz, 2x(SLI) GTX-580 GPUs 3GB VRAM(GDDR5)@1GHz, OS:Win7x64SP1
PC2:Core2Quad X9770@3.2GHz, 2 cores/4 threads 4GB DDR2 RAM@1GHz, GTX-285 GPU 1GB VRAM(DDR3)@1.24GHz, OS:WinVistax64SP2

Edited by neutronium76 - Monday, 24.09.2012, 09:58

GlorymajorDate: Monday, 24.09.2012, 11:43 | Message # 56
Space Tourist
Brazil
Nice improvements!

This one will be a fantastic addition!

Quote (SpaceEngineer)
- Ability to view information about several planets simultaneously - for a visual comparison of the sizes, masses and other parameters, with the ability to sort the table by any row.

Got a question for that one:

When you say "Visual Comparison" you´re not talking just about the numbers, right?
Is this feature will split the main window for visual comparison or it will open a specific window (like Universe Map)?
I think the feature we have more close to that idea now is the "solar system browser (F2 Key)" with the check box "Real Sizes", but it doesnt feel that actually it brings real sizes (for example: Jupiter seems to be a little bit smaller than the Sol).

Keep up the good work! smile

Cheers!

PC: Intel i7 3.2 GHz, 8 Gb RAM, GeForce GTX 680 with 2048 Mb VRAM
Laptop: Intel i7 2.3 GHz, 8 Gb RAM, GeForce GTX 675M with 2048 Mb VRAM

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 24.09.2012, 18:11 | Message # 57
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote (Glorymajor)
When you say "Visual Comparison" you´re not talking just about the numbers, right?

Of course numbers. Now can you visualize anything except diameter and mass?

Quote (Glorymajor)
I think the feature we have more close to that idea now is the "solar system browser (F2 Key)" with the check box "Real Sizes"

In the Wiki, you will be able to press key "Add to comparition", select another object and view its info and thumbnail right next to current one. The objects diameters on the thumbnails will be to scale.

Quote (Glorymajor)
(for example: Jupiter seems to be a little bit smaller than the Sol).

Stars have their own scale. You should read this as "compare planets and moons to other planets and moons in the system" and "compare stars to other stars in the system". Because if trying to compare sizes of planets and sun together, on thumbnails you will see just Jupiter and Saturn, all other planet will be just as dots.

GlorymajorDate: Monday, 24.09.2012, 19:50 | Message # 58
Space Tourist
Brazil
SpaceEngineer, thats cool!

Cant wait to try it out. happy

PC: Intel i7 3.2 GHz, 8 Gb RAM, GeForce GTX 680 with 2048 Mb VRAM
Laptop: Intel i7 2.3 GHz, 8 Gb RAM, GeForce GTX 675M with 2048 Mb VRAM

n3xtDate: Tuesday, 25.09.2012, 00:13 | Message # 59
Explorer
Netherlands
SpaceEningeer
Desaturation of the faint stars (simulating color sensitivity of the eye)

Wow that's amazing! I had trouble to figure this out since I'm not native English, I'm just glad HarbingerDawn explained it simplified and I'm really excited about this... Really nice and the other improvements as well ofcourse! surprised

Will there be an apparant magnitude limit for this like all stars below 1.50?

Edited by n3xt - Tuesday, 25.09.2012, 00:39

daveDate: Friday, 28.09.2012, 23:33 | Message # 60
Space Tourist
United States
Are the changes listed already implemented? Or is it a list of things you're working on?

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress 0.97
Page 4 of 61«1234566061»
Search: