Page 29 of 61«1227282930316061»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress 0.97
Work progress 0.97
Antza2Date: Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 19:15 | Message # 421
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
Finland
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
SpaceEngineer, I think that the next version of SE should come with a release package that does not include the Solar system textures. They take up the majority of the volume and some users do not need them. I do not want to have to spend hours downloading SE when I already have the textures I just think it would be a nice option to have, for people with slow connections who already have the textures for the planets.

Yes, yes and more yes!
I second this!

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

ConquestiDate: Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 20:30 | Message # 422
Astronaut
Group: Users
Spain
Not. The planets of the solar system have to have the best textures. I think there needs to be improved the universe we know.

I like the real universe and the work should be in this regard. I'm so sad to see how Space Engine is a fictional universe and unreal.

Antza2Date: Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 20:34 | Message # 423
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
Finland
Quote (Conquesti)
I like the real universe and the work should be in this regard. I'm so sad to see how Space Engine is a fictional universe and unreal.

Well the version with all the textures wouldn't go anywhere.

It would be practical to be able to just download the core game without all the textures, which some people will never use.

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 20:42 | Message # 424
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Conquesti, what are you talking about? The whole purpose of SE is to simulate the real universe. I don't know what you mean by unreal fictional universe.

And if you read my post, you'll see that I intended this to be an additional option for people to use who have slow connections, so they can use the textures they already have instead of downloading them again for no reason. I have three copies of every Solar system texture on my computer already. Why would I want to spend two hours downloading them again? It makes no sense.

And you know how much I care about good textures for Sol planets from all the addons I've made! smile

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

SpaceEngineerDate: Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 21:49 | Message # 425
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
If you remember, versoin 0.93 was without Solar system textures, it can be installed over 0.84 like a patch to be able to use those textures. But my email was spammed by tons of "bug reports" where users complained on textureless Solar system bodies. People don't like to read a few sentences of the description on the download page.

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 21:53 | Message # 426
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
People don't like to read a few sentences of the description on the download page.

I have considered that. You should probably make an out-of-the-way link, maybe accessible only via the forum, and explicitly state that that version has no textures, so that way there will be no confusion. I just really do not want to spend 3 hours to download 0.97 when it is released sad

My SE mods and addons

FrostbreathDate: Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 22:06 | Message # 427
Space Pilot
Group: Translators
Netherlands
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
I have considered that. You should probably make an out-of-the-way link, maybe accessible only via the forum, and explicitly state that that version has no textures, so that way there will be no confusion. I just really do not want to spend 3 hours to download 0.97 when it is released

3 hours for 600MB? You must have an incredibly slow connection. :O

Amateur astronomer. Owner of a Celestron C8 telescope and, of course, Space Engine. Translator for Dutch.

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 22:08 | Message # 428
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Frostbreath)
You must have an incredibly slow connection

I do.

My SE mods and addons

SalvoDate: Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 22:58 | Message # 429
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Quote (Frostbreath)
3 hours for 600MB? You must have an incredibly slow connection.

He's not alone biggrin

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

Red_RiverDate: Wednesday, 12.12.2012, 01:06 | Message # 430
Astronaut
Canada
heracy! am I sensing the coolest Xmas / NY gift just around the corner? we are takin' 'bout downloadin' next big update here aren't we?

KimbDate: Wednesday, 12.12.2012, 03:03 | Message # 431
Astronaut
United States
Quote (Frostbreath)
3 hours for 600MB? You must have an incredibly slow connection.

I can remember the days of the 56K dialup modems, download speeds only 5 or 6 kB per second; downloading a file of 600 MB would back then have taken almost a full (24 HOUR) day!

Edited by Kimb - Wednesday, 12.12.2012, 03:04

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 12.12.2012, 03:17 | Message # 432
Cosmic Curator
United States
There is a discussion going on on the Russian forum about internet prices. It's about 50 times cheaper there than it is in the US. It's depressing...

My SE mods and addons

KimbDate: Wednesday, 12.12.2012, 03:24 | Message # 433
Astronaut
United States
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
There is a discussion going on on the Russian forum about internet prices. It's about 50 times cheaper there than it is in the US. It's depressing...

Depressing? It's sickening and just plain not @#%$&$ fair!!

apenpaapDate: Wednesday, 12.12.2012, 03:28 | Message # 434
World Builder
Antarctica
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
I have considered that. You should probably make an out-of-the-way link, maybe accessible only via the forum, and explicitly state that that version has no textures, so that way there will be no confusion.

I agree with this: make the standard download page have only the link to the full update to prevent herpderps from downloading just a patch and then complaining there's a bug, but also have a link to a patch without textures that are already in 0.96 in a forum thread would help for those who already have it. It would also save a lot of bandwidth on the download server.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

werdnaforeverDate: Wednesday, 12.12.2012, 05:41 | Message # 435
World Builder
United States
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Conquesti, what are you talking about? The whole purpose of SE is to simulate the real universe. I don't know what you mean by unreal fictional universe.

I believe he's referring to procedural generation of galaxies, stars, planets, etc. As we know, these are fictional, but they are realistic.

In my opinion, the best way to put it is that SE fills in the blanks- the real universe is there- charted galaxies, stars, etc. It's surrounded by the "fictional" artificial terrain.

How about a version with very low resolution textures? Anything's better than nothing.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress 0.97
Page 29 of 61«1227282930316061»
Search: