Page 25 of 61«1223242526276061»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress 0.97
Work progress 0.97
HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 03.12.2012, 16:11 | Message # 361
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (smjjames)
He's done the same thing at Dan Dixon of Universe Sandbox, although not as much as he has done here.

smjjames, that is irrelevant. It does not matter if he has done it in 0 other places or 50 other places.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

smjjamesDate: Monday, 03.12.2012, 16:13 | Message # 362
World Builder
Group: Users
United States
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Quote (smjjames)
He's done the same thing at Dan Dixon of Universe Sandbox, although not as much as he has done here.

smjjames, that is irrelevant. It does not matter if he has done it in 0 other places or 50 other places.

I am merely establishing a pattern that he has done it there.

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 03.12.2012, 16:16 | Message # 363
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (smjjames)
I am merely establishing a pattern that he has done it there.

He has already established a pattern here. What someone does on another site has no bearing on how they should be viewed here, and you should probably not reveal the actions forum members take outside the forum.

Do not reply to this message.

My SE mods and addons

SalvoDate: Monday, 03.12.2012, 16:26 | Message # 364
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Quote (smjjames)
Pink Aurorae? I think think I've seen those before, even in real life photos. I don't know if Space Engineer said, but will they change colors?

If i'm not wrong he said that it was not finished yet, so, yes, it's possible...

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

smjjamesDate: Monday, 03.12.2012, 16:31 | Message # 365
World Builder
United States
@Harb: Okay, I'll drop the issue.

In an attempt to get back on topic.

Will we see aurorae of other colors on gas giants? I know the color depends on what ions are being excited, green for oxygen and blue or red for nitrogen for example and gas giants won't have much of either. At least they won't have much of oxygen in a free state.

Edit: While we're on the topic of Aurorae, check this out: http://www.space.com/18719-new-aurora-images.html

Edited by smjjames - Monday, 03.12.2012, 16:45

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 03.12.2012, 17:05 | Message # 366
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (smjjames)
I know the color depends on what ions are being excited

Actually, the color does not just depend on the ions and excited atoms. It depends on other factors too, like how much energy has been absorbed by the atoms and how they behave after being ionized/excited.

My SE mods and addons

werdnaforeverDate: Monday, 03.12.2012, 20:42 | Message # 367
World Builder
Pirate
Animated aurorae. I still can't get over it. SE needs animation: <cliche>this will bring it's universe to life</cliche>.
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
Fixed color banding artifact on landscape and especially on the water.

This really shattered any realism when looking at oceans. I'm really glad it's fixed!

HatiDate: Tuesday, 04.12.2012, 03:48 | Message # 368
Observer
United Kingdom
HarbingerDawn, I like you already. Anyway, on to the main subject of my post. I'm glad to see the gas giant aurora are included. Not to say, spaceengineer, that you neglected them. I missed out on that screenshot so I didn't know. Its easy to miss things, unfortunately.

on another subject, when will we start seeing star systems with lots of stars again, if at all? If I remember correctly, the line between open cluster and massive star systems is blurred. But you do get star systems with about 10 or so stars, like the Trapezium in the Orion nebula. It'd be nice to discover a planet that has between 1 and about 13 suns depending on the various orbits. I remember reading something about not seeing massive systems like this on a thread about finding systems with alot of stars.

Edited by Hati - Tuesday, 04.12.2012, 03:52

smjjamesDate: Tuesday, 04.12.2012, 04:11 | Message # 369
World Builder
United States
Quote (Hati)
on another subject, when will we start seeing star systems with lots of stars again, if at all? If I remember correctly, the line between open cluster and massive star systems is blurred. But you do get star systems with about 10 or so stars, like the Trapezium in the Orion nebula. It'd be nice to discover a planet that has between 1 and about 13 suns depending on the various orbits. I remember reading something about not seeing massive systems like this on a thread about finding systems with alot of stars.

Yeah, the most that has been found is an octuple star system and only two procedural octuple star systems have been documented. 5 and 6 star systems are rare, but they can be found sooner or later. I don't think there are any 7 star systems that have been found in procedural systems.

The black hole at the centers of globular clusters and galactic cores will have lots of stars orbiting it, but they'll be stripped of planets.

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 04.12.2012, 04:13 | Message # 370
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Hati)
If I remember correctly, the line between open cluster and massive star systems is blurred

Not really; maybe for very young, compact, and massive clusters this could potentially happen in some cases, but a configuration like that would be quite rare. Anyway, a few 8-star systems have been found, so SE does generate systems with many suns, in proportions which are pretty consistent with reality (which is the goal of the engine). The Trapezium is considered a star cluster, not a single star system; it has a width of about 1.5 light years, much wider than the width of a star system (which usually less than 0.1 light years).

My SE mods and addons

horatiobDate: Tuesday, 04.12.2012, 12:26 | Message # 371
Observer
Germany
just curious, wouldn't it be too complicated to calculate stable orbits of a system with so many suns? As far as i know SE treats multiple star systems often as two barycenters (=independet star systems) rotating around each other in the same plane (X,Y). I assume calculating three or more of those barycenters rotating in three dimensions (X,Y,Z) around each other would be quite CPU-intensive. i might be wrong though wink

SpaceEngineerDate: Tuesday, 04.12.2012, 13:41 | Message # 372
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote (horatiob)
just curious, wouldn't it be too complicated to calculate stable orbits of a system with so many suns? As far as i know SE treats multiple star systems often as two barycenters (=independet star systems) rotating around each other in the same plane (X,Y). I assume calculating three or more of those barycenters rotating in three dimensions (X,Y,Z) around each other would be quite CPU-intensive. i might be wrong though

It is indeed CPU intensive, and cannot be used in SE, due to its procedural nature. For a system with chaotic orbits, you cannot write a function that calculates position of any body at any given moment of time. This is required by engine, because you can arrive at a system at any time in its history. The only way is to start N-body numerical simulation (like Universe Sandbox does) from the system's born time until it reaches its current time. There are may be billions of iterations, that take hours to be completed. So no, it is impossible for now.

SpaceEngineerDate: Tuesday, 04.12.2012, 17:50 | Message # 373
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation

Attachments: 3132639.jpg(314Kb) · 7629213.jpg(226Kb) · 0688292.jpg(185Kb) · 6670792.jpg(199Kb)

QuietlyConidentDate: Tuesday, 04.12.2012, 17:59 | Message # 374
Astronaut
United Kingdom
SpaceEngineer, you are ridiculous.

HatiDate: Tuesday, 04.12.2012, 18:02 | Message # 375
Observer
United Kingdom
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
It is indeed CPU intensive, and cannot be used in SE, due to its procedural nature. For a system with chaotic orbits, you cannot write a function that calculates position of any body at any given moment of time.

Thanks for the answer. I wonder though, are there stable orbits that would be easy for a computer to predict and deal with in this engine but are something that a person would have a hard time predicting? Something that would give the impression of a chaotic system without actually being chaotic. If such a complex stable orbit can be generated, while being highly unlikely in reality, it'd be as close as the engine could get to a chaotic system.

My understanding of this subject is poor, though. If someone can throw me at a list of theoretical orbital systems that aren't chaotic, I'd be happy to take a look. but I have this odd feeling that the only things that tend to work are single objects orbiting other single objects, and binary systems orbiting other binary systems or single objects.

Edited by Hati - Tuesday, 04.12.2012, 18:06

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress 0.97
Page 25 of 61«1223242526276061»
Search: