[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 24 of 61«1222232425266061»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress 0.97
Work progress 0.97
MestarianDate: Sunday, 02.12.2012, 22:54 | Message # 346
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Hello, I am new to the forum and I just wanted to say how excited I am about the new update. Just when I thought the current version was already pretty freaking amazing! =D

Anyways I was just wondering about how clouds would be rendered with the addition of 3D clouds in gas giants, or will gas giant clouds not be worked on for a while?

Edited by Mestarian - Sunday, 02.12.2012, 22:58

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Sunday, 02.12.2012, 23:32 | Message # 347
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote (Mestarian)
or will gas giant clouds not be worked on for a while?

There probably won't be 3D clouds in gas giants ever. By that I mean until computers are powerful enough to render thousands of volumetric clouds of different sizes/shapes/colors or millions/billions of sprites without choking down to unplayable frame rates.

Doubt we will see anything like that in any games for at least another 5 years.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

MestarianDate: Sunday, 02.12.2012, 23:41 | Message # 348
Observer
United States
DoctorOfSpace: until computers are powerful enough to render thousands of volumetric clouds of different sizes/shapes/colors or millions/billions of sprites without choking down to unplayable frame rates.

I figured that would be the case, though I was thinking that we would have to keep the clouds mostly static for now anyways for obvious performance issues if were to even attempt to do something like that. Also I was mostly thinking of just some thick dark clouds that you would see if you tried to go inside the gas giant cloud layer. I don't think we would have to do all of that rendering if it only rendered clouds that were close to you while you were inside them. Then you could have it transition to the standard image of the planet as you left it.

I don't know, its just some thoughts I had. ^^;

Edited by Mestarian - Sunday, 02.12.2012, 23:49

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 03.12.2012, 00:10 | Message # 349
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
DoctorOfSpace, when 3D clouds are implemented it will probably be for all types of worlds, not just small ones. Ideally, you only generate cloud sprites for clouds near to you, and you would use fewer sprites for more distant clouds in a sort of LOD fashion. You could almost certainly make pretty nice 3D clouds using fewer sprites than are currently used in a nebula or galaxy model. It just has to be done properly. Many programs currently in existence can do this, and I have no doubt that SpaceEngineer can do it too.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Monday, 03.12.2012, 00:23 | Message # 350
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
, and you would use fewer sprites for more distant clouds in a sort of LOD fashion. You could almost certainly make pretty nice 3D clouds using fewer sprites than are currently used in a nebula or galaxy model. It just has to be done properly.

Seems to me that kind of result would end up looking a lot like Galaxies and Nebulae and wouldn't look very good.

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Many programs currently in existence can do this, and I have no doubt that SpaceEngineer can do it too.

Every program I've seen that does it doesn't look terribly good. I have no doubts that it can be done I just don't think it can be done with exceptional quality and good performance.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

MestarianDate: Monday, 03.12.2012, 00:51 | Message # 351
Observer
United States
Thanks, I'm sure anything that SpaceEngineer puts in will be pretty amazing along with good options to disable anything that may be too computationally expensive for your computer to handle using earlier rendering methods instead. And any kind of 3D cloud rendering would be a huge step up from where it is now as all gas giants seem to have a huge plain spherical surface that is seemingly perfectly flat all around.

Also I had a question about procedurally generated galaxies. About how far out will a person be able to travel once its implemented? Would you just keep seeing endless galaxies or would you somehow leave the universe to find other universes? I am assuming it would be a seemingly endless number of galaxies. But my question is just how far can one go before the game starts to have trouble generating new galaxies? Or maybe this has not yet been tested/implemented?

Edited by Mestarian - Monday, 03.12.2012, 00:52

apenpaapDate: Monday, 03.12.2012, 00:54 | Message # 352
World Builder
Group: Users
Antarctica
I believe the Universe will be "round". You can travel as far as you want in any direction, and always see more galaxies, yet after a certain amount of distance they will in fact be the same galaxies you've seen earlier. Much like on Earth, you can travel for millions of kilometres and you'll always come across new places and never an edge to the world: yet after 40000 km you've gone around the Earth and are seeing the same places again.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

Donatelo200Date: Monday, 03.12.2012, 00:55 | Message # 353
Explorer
United States
Procedural galaxys are already in version 0.96. Thread on them here

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012)
RAM: Unknown 16G-D3-1600-MR 2x8GB
MBD: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition (MS-7922)

Edited by Donatelo200 - Monday, 03.12.2012, 00:58

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 03.12.2012, 01:06 | Message # 354
Cosmic Curator
United States
As an addition to the procedural galaxies question, it should be noted that at present the galaxies are only generated in a 10 GPc width cube. In the future SpaceEngineer intends to create a seamless and unbounded universe (so you will never reach an edge).

My SE mods and addons

smjjamesDate: Monday, 03.12.2012, 05:51 | Message # 355
World Builder
United States
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
As an addition to the procedural galaxies question, it should be noted that at present the galaxies are only generated in a 10 GPc width cube. In the future SpaceEngineer intends to create a seamless and unbounded universe (so you will never reach an edge).

That'd be something like the round (or saddle shaped? if we are going to get into theoretical physics) universe shape apenpaap was talking about, except it would be many hundreds, maybe thousands of billions of light years before you come full circle and start seeing stuff you saw before. If you can remember it or anything.

vosk_01Date: Monday, 03.12.2012, 08:59 | Message # 356
Observer
Group: Banned
Ukraine
Quote (Hati)
Auroras seem interesting. Hey, will we see them on gas giants? They have immense magnetic fields and its certainly something I'd like to see. Like this image of Jupiter
apologies, not sure how to scale down images.

Hati Here's screenshot aurora on gas giants smile :

Quote (Jeroll3d)
Friends, I have some stars and planets to visit even in the current version - billions and billions of it. So no need to rush.

Jeroll3d But new version (0.97) is more new and improved than current version (0.96).

Desktop:
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz, 2,0GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

Laptop:
Coming soon

AustinMclEctroDate: Monday, 03.12.2012, 09:08 | Message # 357
Space Tourist
Canada
Quote (Mestarian)
Anyways I was just wondering about how clouds would be rendered with the addition of 3D clouds in gas giants, or will gas giant clouds not be worked on for a while?

I've wondered about the same thing.

Eh, the way you guys are talking it sounds semi-promising.
Imagine having lighting and storm effects too! shok

vosk_01Date: Monday, 03.12.2012, 11:24 | Message # 358
Observer
Group: Banned
Ukraine
Quote (AustinMclEctro)
I've wondered about the same thing.

Eh, the way you guys are talking it sounds semi-promising.
Imagine having lighting and storm effects too!

AustinMclEctro See screenshot aurora on gas giants. smile : http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/21-881-15891-16-1354521595

Added (03.12.2012, 14:24)
---------------------------------------------
Dear SpaceEngineer, please rename "Work progress" to "SpaceEngine Version 0.97 Feature List".

Desktop:
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz, 2,0GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

Laptop:
Coming soon

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 03.12.2012, 14:38 | Message # 359
Cosmic Curator
United States
vosk_01, if you do not stop making demands of SpaceEngineer and if you will not stop being rude, you will not be allowed to post anymore. Stop it.

My SE mods and addons

smjjamesDate: Monday, 03.12.2012, 15:57 | Message # 360
World Builder
United States
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
vosk_01, if you do not stop making demands of SpaceEngineer and if you will not stop being rude, you will not be allowed to post anymore. Stop it.

He's done the same thing at Dan Dixon of Universe Sandbox, although not as much as he has done here.

Quote (vosk_01)
Added (03.12.2012, 14:24)
---------------------------------------------
Dear SpaceEngineer, please rename "Work progress" to "SpaceEngine Version 0.97 Feature List".

Why do you think it's called "Work progress"?

ANYWAYS, back on topic.

Pink Aurorae? I think think I've seen those before, even in real life photos. I don't know if Space Engineer said, but will they change colors?

Edited by smjjames - Monday, 03.12.2012, 16:04

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress 0.97
Page 24 of 61«1222232425266061»
Search: