[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 21 of 61«1219202122236061»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress 0.97
Work progress 0.97
BaleurDate: Monday, 19.11.2012, 10:44 | Message # 301
Observer
Group: Users
Sweden
Multi-million dollar game devs. Releases 1 patch every 2 months that fixes 4 bugs and typos.
Indie dev, one guy. Releases massive updates in an app that essentially revolutionizes generation and visualization of interplanetary, interstellar and intergalactic space.

Just shows time and time again that programming talent is what matters, not dev team size or careless money being thrown at the project. You could put the entire staff at Maxis to work on Spore 2, with infinite budget from EA, and i guarantee they would not have even half of what you have here in terms of an infinite beautiful space engine.

DrawninDate: Monday, 19.11.2012, 12:09 | Message # 302
Space Tourist
Spain
Natural sounds when descending to planets??
Just... YES!!

That will surely break the static appearance of the whole program. I mean, when you go into a planet's atmosphere, it looks like a frozen picture or something like that, because there is nothing (apart from the movement of ship/camera) that suggest time passing by. But nature sounds like wind or something similar could make the experience much more realistic, because you will feel that you're in a real world, where things change! Amazing!

biggrin

Intel Core i7-3770 - 3.40 GHz @ 8 Gb RAM @ nVidia GeForce GTX 570 1280 Mb

mfrankowiczDate: Monday, 19.11.2012, 12:50 | Message # 303
Observer
Group: Newbies
Brazil
Quote (Baleur)
Multi-million dollar game devs. Releases 1 patch every 2 months that fixes 4 bugs and typos.
Indie dev, one guy. Releases massive updates in an app that essentially revolutionizes generation and visualization of interplanetary, interstellar and intergalactic space.

Just shows time and time again that programming talent is what matters, not dev team size or careless money being thrown at the project. You could put the entire staff at Maxis to work on Spore 2, with infinite budget from EA, and i guarantee they would not have even half of what you have here in terms of an infinite beautiful space engine.

Its true what you say, but its is also true that bigger teams have less small bugs to deal in final releases. In my opinion, SpaceEnginer should put the projet inside the rights that protect open source projects, this way he could have help from developer's comunity in a more reliable environment work (i mean, without the risk of being plagiarized).

btw, the new version will be awesome!

SalvoDate: Monday, 19.11.2012, 15:01 | Message # 304
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
Supporting of sounds of WAV and OGG formats
Built-in music player for OGG music

Quote (Baleur)
Just shows time and time again that programming talent is what matters, not dev team size or careless money being thrown at the project.

You are right cry

Anyway Space Engineer, do you actually earnings something through this project? (apart our immense gratitude)

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

Edited by Salvo - Monday, 19.11.2012, 15:08

FrostbreathDate: Monday, 19.11.2012, 15:33 | Message # 305
Space Pilot
Group: Translators
Netherlands
Brilliant. Just absolutely brilliant, epic, fantastic, magnificent and all words equal to these. My favourite space sim keeps getting better and better.

Amateur astronomer. Owner of a Celestron C8 telescope and, of course, Space Engine. Translator for Dutch.

AlessiaCristalloooDate: Monday, 19.11.2012, 23:19 | Message # 306
Astronaut
Italy
Yes! smile
Now i can do something more for the game biggrin

Jeroll3dDate: Wednesday, 21.11.2012, 15:53 | Message # 307
Astronaut
Brazil
Quote (Baleur)

Simply the best space simulator. The engineer of this game comes from the future ...

biggrin

Nice. The best space simulator. I love this! This game is revolutionary and is only going to improve!

Edited by Jeroll3d - Wednesday, 21.11.2012, 15:55

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 25.11.2012, 01:22 | Message # 308
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Updates:

• Automatic clearing of the cache when hardware is changed
  • Saving compiled shaders binaries to the cache and fast loading
  • Preloading all shaders at startup (option)
  • Oblate planets and stars, automatic calculation of oblateness
  • Gravity darkening of oblate stars

The OpenGL 4.1 has a long-awaited function implemented - getting binary code of compiled shaders. Now it is possible to save binaries on the disk into a cache, then at the next time loading they are sent directly to the GPU, without a long compilation process. The speedup of loading time is 50-100 times! There are no lags caused by loading of new shaders when a new planet comes into view, or a solar eclipse crawling on the disk of a planet. Surprisingly, this function works not only in OpenGL 4.1, but in the older versions too. If it still not supported by user drivers, SE will use an old system (loading shaders sources and compiling).

Also, I've add an option to the main config that allows loading all shaders at SE startup, so there will be completely no lags. When SE starts first time (or the hardware is changed and cache is cleared), SE performs loading, compiling and saving binaries of all shaders. It may take up to 5 minutes. But after that, at next launches it takes 10-20 seconds to load all shaders binaries.

Oblate planets. I've fix some bugs with oblate planets (but not all), so I decided to do all calculation of oblateness to procedural planets based on rotation period. So get used to the new appearance of gas giants - now almost all of them will have an oblate shape (as our Jupiter and Saturn does, and to a lesser degree, Uranus and Neptune).

Fast-rotating oblate stars like Vega or Spica have an effect called gravity darkening: polar regions are closer to the core and thus hotter (and brighter) than equatorial regions. So oblate stars will looks like this:

From equator:

From pole:

From intermediate angle:

Colder star:

Attachments: 3171372.jpg(213Kb) · 3358360.jpg(156Kb) · 1906882.jpg(148Kb) · 1527553.jpg(257Kb) · 1950801.jpg(226Kb) · 7811211.jpg(248Kb) · 3554832.jpg(292Kb)

•  
    apenpaapDate: Sunday, 25.11.2012, 01:28 | Message # 309
    World Builder
    Antarctica
    Great! I like the oblateness things in particular. Is the bug with disappearing "tiles" near the poles on oblate worlds (mainly visible on Jupiter, Ceres, and Haumea right now) one of the fixed bugs?

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

ogggrezDate: Sunday, 25.11.2012, 01:34 | Message # 310
    Astronaut
    Sweden
    I can't wait for the update! biggrin It's gonna take some time getting use to those gas giants, lol

"You can't take the skies from me"

smjjamesDate: Sunday, 25.11.2012, 02:49 | Message # 311
    World Builder
    United States
    Quote (SpaceEngineer)
    Automatic clearing of the cache when hardware is changed

Cool, that should help alleviate problems relating to the cache such as this thread (both QuietlyConfidents and my issue there). Hopefully.

Donatelo200Date: Sunday, 25.11.2012, 06:34 | Message # 312
    Explorer
    United States
    Will density be a factor in calculating a planets ob-lateness?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
    SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
    HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB
    HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012)
    RAM: Unknown 16G-D3-1600-MR 2x8GB
    MBD: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition (MS-7922)

SalvoDate: Sunday, 25.11.2012, 11:05 | Message # 313
    Star Engineer
    Group: Local Moderators
    Italy
    Quote (SpaceEngineer)
    The speedup of loading time is 50-100 times!

O_o
    Quote (SpaceEngineer)
    Oblate planets and stars, automatic calculation of oblateness

Nice! All planets had the same oblateness, that wasn't realistic biggrin

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

DrawninDate: Sunday, 25.11.2012, 12:32 | Message # 314
    Space Tourist
    Spain
    I want 0.97 so bad... ='(

Any progress in night side lights on the planets, like lava, cities and so on? That would be amazing... I'm just curious about it... =)

Intel Core i7-3770 - 3.40 GHz @ 8 Gb RAM @ nVidia GeForce GTX 570 1280 Mb

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 25.11.2012, 14:18 | Message # 315
    Author of Space Engine
    Group: Administrators
    Russian Federation
    Quote (Donatelo200)
    Will density be a factor in calculating a planets ob-lateness?

Of course. For example, neutron stars are still spherical, despite their crazy rotating rate.

Quote (Drawnin)
    Any progress in night side lights on the planets, like lava, cities and so on? That would be amazing... I'm just curious about it... =)

No.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress 0.97
    Page 21 of 61«1219202122236061»
    Search: