[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 19 of 61«1217181920216061»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress 0.97
Work progress 0.97
SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 11.11.2012, 18:52 | Message # 271
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Forgot to mention: in the real-time updating mode, the effect fixes full eclipse issues - when the moon is in the shadow of the planet, it does not illuminate the planet. However, I should solve this issue analytically, by upgrading the eclipse code.

Quote (apenpaap)
Very odd... I thought this was already implemented. Check out the difference in illumination of Phobos and Naiad: I suppose that so far it's only implemented in our Solar System, then. It'll be great to see it expanded to procedural worlds!

For this purpose, planet scripts have the parameter Color. For procedural generated planets, this color was always white. So now this script parameter is no longer necessary.

Quote (neutronium76)
This is not an in-game screenshot of the new version, right? This is a photoshop image, right?

This is screenshot of course.

Edit: Ah, Harb ninja smile

SalvoDate: Sunday, 11.11.2012, 19:04 | Message # 272
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
If a blue planet is iluminated by orange light (by a red dwarf, for example) the moon will be half orange and half blue? smile

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 11.11.2012, 19:24 | Message # 273
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
Forgot to mention: in the real-time updating mode, the effect fixes full eclipse issues - when the moon is in the shadow of the planet, it does not illuminate the planet.

YAY!!!

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

smjjamesDate: Sunday, 11.11.2012, 20:00 | Message # 274
World Builder
Group: Users
United States
Speaking of fixing eclipse issues, What about the pixellated (or maybe a better term would be z-fighting, as it resembles that effect) 'shadows' created by eclipsing stars? It does the dip in brightness when one star eclipses the other just fine, but for some reason SE does this strange blocky eclipse 'shadow' on the atmosphere, which kind of ruins the overall effect.

Edit: Saw this:

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
Forgot to mention: in the real-time updating mode, the effect fixes full eclipse issues - when the moon is in the shadow of the planet, it does not illuminate the planet.

YAY!!!

Does this fix the eclipsing binary problem I mentioned above?

Edited by smjjames - Sunday, 11.11.2012, 20:03

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 11.11.2012, 20:23 | Message # 275
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
No, it's another issue. It it a floating point precision problems in fragment shader.

SpaceEngineerDate: Tuesday, 13.11.2012, 23:13 | Message # 276
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Finally, I've fixed the Asynchronous loading mode (multi-threading). Now, on systems with multicore processors, generation of stars and galaxies is significantly boosted, and does not affect FPS. The generation of the galaxy mode, which used to have a noticeable lag in half a second or more, is now not noticeable at all (stars just appear a second-two after the arrival at the galaxy). There is only one loading thread for now, but I can easily make more threads (as many as many cores have in the processor). So it will be possible to use a more complex and realistic function to generate distribution of galaxies in the Universe (although perhaps it is better to move it to the GPU anyway).

However, multi-threading does not affect the speed of texture and landscape generation, because they are generated by the graphics card. Attempts to move the generation of textures in a separate thread have failed, OpenGL still does not like multi-threading (unlike DirectX). So I've left the texture generation in the main thread, between frames (ie textures are always generated in Interleaved mode, while other things are generated and loaded in Asynchronous mode). While the landscape is generated, the FPS still decreases, although it's a bit more optimized for the timing control, so now there should be no more lag.

Loading of large textures of galaxies and space ships (2048 * 2048 and more), are still lagging, but the lag has become less - working with disk and decompress jpg/png now comes in a separate thread, and does not affect the renderer, but loading of the texture into VRAM is lagging - again because OpenGL dislikes multi-threading. Getting rid of this lag is possible if big textures are loaded into VRAM in small parts, so I'll probably implement this method.

But my most biggest concern is that there's a huge lag when loading shaders. It's possible to completely get rid of them by one method - by loading ALL shaders when SE is started, but then it will take a minute or so to start-up - but maybe I should implement such an option though?

anonymousgamerDate: Tuesday, 13.11.2012, 23:16 | Message # 277
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
Now, on systems with multicore processors, generation of stars and galaxies is significantly boosted

This also works with Hyperthreading, right? So I would have 4 threads of loading even though I have a 2 core processor?

Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen
Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 13.11.2012, 23:24 | Message # 278
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
Finally, I've fixed the Asynchronous loading mode (multi-threading).

YES!!! You are amazing!

Quote (SpaceEngineer)
It's possible to completely get rid of them by one method - by loading ALL shaders when SE is started, but then it will take a minute or so to start-up - but maybe I should implement such an option though?

Yes, I think that this would be a good option to have (maybe a config parameter for loading all shaders on startup with possible true/false values)

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

smjjamesDate: Wednesday, 14.11.2012, 00:59 | Message # 279
World Builder
United States
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
It's possible to completely get rid of them by one method - by loading ALL shaders when SE is started, but then it will take a minute or so to start-up - but maybe I should implement such an option though?

Yes, I think that this would be a good option to have (maybe a config parameter for loading all shaders on startup with possible true/false values)

+1 on this idea. It takes a moment (well, between 5 and 15 seconds, depending on the size of the system) for it to load the planet previews in the system overview screen.

Also, cool on the multithreading. Maybe it'll reduce lag with higher density of stars (the deep interiors of galaxies) and possibly with the loading problems among the catalog stars.

Edited by smjjames - Wednesday, 14.11.2012, 01:01

anonymousgamerDate: Wednesday, 14.11.2012, 01:05 | Message # 280
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Quote (smjjames)
well, between 5 and 15 seconds, depending on the size of the system

Strange. Max it takes for me is 4 seconds, and even then that's for big systems. For me, average is about 2 sec's of loading time.

Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen
Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen

smjjamesDate: Wednesday, 14.11.2012, 01:28 | Message # 281
World Builder
United States
Quote (anonymousgamer)
Quote (smjjames)
well, between 5 and 15 seconds, depending on the size of the system

Strange. Max it takes for me is 4 seconds, and even then that's for big systems. For me, average is about 2 sec's of loading time.

I do have doctorofspace's gas giant shader and cloud shader mod, which might be slowing it down a little. Not sure why they're a bit slow to load.

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 14.11.2012, 12:20 | Message # 282
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote (smjjames)
and possibly with the loading problems among the catalog stars.

Which problems?

smjjamesDate: Wednesday, 14.11.2012, 15:50 | Message # 283
World Builder
United States
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
Quote (smjjames)
and possibly with the loading problems among the catalog stars.

Which problems?

I'm referring specifically to this: http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/4-1005-10388-16-1346599238 although you may have to read my other posts on the thread for a bit of context.

AlessiaCristalloooDate: Thursday, 15.11.2012, 18:17 | Message # 284
Astronaut
Italy
Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
Doesn't seem that impossible if some sort of 3D volumetric clouds are added and there are plenty of OpenGL water shaders that could be implemented or written for SE. Outerra did it after all, so most likely one day SE will look like that cool

I think too, 3d volumetric clouds would be better than actual 2d flat clouds biggrin

Edited by AlessiaCristallooo - Thursday, 15.11.2012, 18:17

daveDate: Thursday, 15.11.2012, 23:28 | Message # 285
Space Tourist
United States
Vladimir, do you have any idea how underrated this program is? How this could actually be used for, I dont know... Anything, science classrooms, college presentations etc...

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress 0.97
Page 19 of 61«1217181920216061»
Search: