[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 3123»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Troubleshooting - SpaceEngine 0.93
Troubleshooting - SpaceEngine 0.93
SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 24.04.2011, 22:22 | Message # 1
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Often the cause of the error can be found in the log file se.log in the root folder of the program. Open it in a text editor.

1) Weak system
Most of the letters of the inability to start SpaceEngine come from users that have built-in Intel office card, or some old GeForce 5700, or not "gaming" laptop. There is no way out but update of your system. There are no plans to make the second version of the engine for weak systems with simplified graphics, CPU texture generation, etc. It would be like to write one more engine. Once again I remind the minimum system requirements, which can be seen on the main page:

CPU 2.0 GHz
RAM 2 Gb
Video GeForce 6800, ATI 3850
vRAM 512 Mb

I stress that the special role played by videocard onboard memory (vRAM). 512 MB is the absolute minimum. The engine uses a large amount of data that must be in video memory (textures, meshes, vbo, etc). If your system meets the recommended requirements, the engine must work, because its development made on these hardware:

CPU 3.0 GHz
RAM 4 Gb
Video GeForce 9800 GTX, ATI Mobility HD 5730
vRAM 1024 Mb

You can try to start the engine with some OpenGL extensions disabed, if your hardware does not support them: frame buffer objects (FBO), half floats, float textures and 3D textures. Information about this is written at the beginning of the log (se.log), after the list of extensions:

Framebuffer objects supported
Half floats suppoted
Floating-point pixel format: GL_RGBA16F_ARB
3D textures suppoted

If somewhere says 'unsupported', hence the extension is not supported and the engine disable it itself. If is seems to be supported a float and 3D textures, but the atmosphere of planets has monstrous bottlenecks, such as the GeForce 6200 and GeForce 6600, it is best to disable them forcibly. This is done in the file config/main.cfg:
r_IgnoreFBO false // do not disable frame buffer objects
r_IgnoreHalfFloat false // do not disable half float
r_IgnoreFloatTextures true // disable float texture
r_Ignore3DTextures true // disable 3D textures

Reference:
- Atmospheres using float and 3D textures. Disabling any of them disables the atmosphere. HDR rendering mode uses a float textures, disabling them disables HDR.
- Stars, galaxies and all the distant objects in the form of points are using half floats. Disabling half floats does not disable the stars, etc., but it leads to greater consumption of memory (using float vertex buffers).
- The Milky Way and other nearby galaxies and nebulae are using FBO. HDR rendering mode is also uses the FBO. Disable it disables the 3D models of galaxies and nebulae, and disables HDR mode.

2) Outdated drivers. The version of OpenGL is written at the beginning of the log:
OpenGL version: 3.3.0
If you have a version lower than 3.2.0 (2.1.1, etc.), upgrade the video card driver.

3) Emerging of OUT_OF_MEMORY or OUT_OF_TEXTURE_MEMORY message and crash after this. It is video memory overflow that occurs when the cache in video memory is filled by data (the texture of the planets, procedural stars, etc), but Vista/7 driver crashes the program (or crashes itself:)). Possible Solution:

a) Close all programs that can consume the video memory (games, video players, graphics editors, etc.).

b) Open se.log and look at its beginning to sure that the amount of video memory determined properly:

Total video memory: 1024 Mb
Available video memory: 981 Mb
Dynamic video memory detection disabled.

If it it written

Dynamic video memory detection unsupported. Value 512 Mb from config will be used.

or

Can't determine total video memory size. Value 512 Mb from config will be used.,

it means that your driver does not support the determination of the amount of video memory. If updating the driver does not work, specify the amount of video memory in the config file config/main.cfg:

r_vram_Size 512 // video memory size in MiB
r_vram_StartupDetect false // false - disable the automatic determination of the amount of video memory at startup
r_vram_DynamicDetect false // false - disable the automatic determination of the amount of video memory at runtime

If crashes continues after this, try to increase or decrease the parameter

r_vram_MaxPercent 75 // maximum amount of memory (%) to use by SpaceEngine

But do not increase it to 100, since Windows uses 20-30 MiB.

c) If your video card have more memory (1024 MiB or more), try to turn on the automatic detection of available memory in the runtime:

r_vram_StartupDetect true // true - enable the automatic determination of the amount of video memory at startup
r_vram_DynamicDetect true // true - enable the automatic determination of the amount of video memory at runtime

If you have 512 MiB or less, do not turn on this mode!

d) Set the Windows XP compatibility mode for SpaceEngine.

4) The crushes near the planets on the ATI cards. This occurs sometimes when generating mipmaps of textures of the landscape processed. The config main.cfg have the option, which prohibits the creation of mipmaps:

r_BugMipmaps true // true - disable mipmaps

it is set to true in the version 0.93 by default. If you have a NVidia graphics card, change it to false, it will increase the quality of textures of the planets.

5) There is no atmosphere on planets, or planets are drawed as black balls, or crash while computing of the atmospheric models. If your video card does not support geometry shaders, or the atmospheres model does not generated for some other reason (see it in the folder cache/models/atmospheres), download them from [url=http://en.spaceengine.org/load/additional/precomputed_atmospheres_models/3-1-0-2>here]here[/url]. The model is already included in the installation archive of the version 0.93. If you remove them, and new ones are not generated automatically, download them at the link above.

6) A freezing or crash after extensive flight throughout the galaxy. It is due to the overflow of vide memory by vertex buffers of procedurally generated stars. It occurs especially fast in the center of galaxy. In the Windows 7/Vista, this leads for some reason to crashing program, instead of the driver pushed the old data from video memory into the system memory, as it happens in Windows XP. Setting the Windows XP compatibility mode can solve this problem, but heavy lags may begins. In this case, simply quit the program and run it again. If the completion of program was normal, your position in the Universe will be remembered.
It will also helps turning off of procedural stars. In this case, you can fly in the Sun vicinity among the HIPPARCOS catalogue stars and visit their planets. Disabling is done in the Show objects menu, which is called by pressing F4. You must disable the procedural stars (Stars -> Procedural) and procedural planets (Planets -> Procedural). If you do not disable procedural planets, the procedural star will continue to be used. Disabling of the procedural planets of catalogue stars (Planets -> Procedural on catalog stars) is not needed, as they do not affect it.

7) Planets are drawn incorrectly, there is no rings on Saturn and other ringed planets, and other strange glitches occurs, that arose after installing the update. Delete the cache folder. This error occurs due the installation of a new version over an old version which previously was run. As a result, the cache remains shaders, models and other stuff from the old version, and some of them may not be compatible with the new one.

NeonDate: Thursday, 12.05.2011, 00:53 | Message # 2
Explorer
Group: SE team
Australia
I have had a few issues with the recommended machine. Plunging into
the heart of another galaxy, especially near the centre, or even getting
within 10,000 ly of the milky way galaxy caused SE to drop the frame rate
down to below 1. I've still not been able to travel there, or in the heart of
other galaxies. The outer reaches are fine, but the centers are off limits
at the moment.

My Machine:

AMD Athlon dual core 3Ghz, 4gb ram, Nvidia 9800 gtx w/ 1mb vram.
The system also has an added radiator to aid in cooling.

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 12.05.2011, 23:41 | Message # 3
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
This is due to generation of millions of stars that you can see in the center of the galaxy. If you wait awhile, all stars will be generating, then you can fly smoothly at small speed (0.1-1 parsecs per second). If you turn around, the generation of stars will continue.

There are a huge number of stars in the center of the galaxy, so even with a 512Mb video card, it will fill all the memory and start to recreating in continuous manner, so your fps never reaches its normal values. With your 1Gb (right?) video, this must not happen. Check your memory setting in the main.cfg config, as described in previous post.

NeonDate: Friday, 13.05.2011, 23:03 | Message # 4
Explorer
Australia
Thankyou, I didn't know where the settings were kept. That should
fix it, it was set to 512, changed to 1024; also reduced my resolution to help it out.

Thanks heaps smile

j0KeRDate: Monday, 23.05.2011, 22:27 | Message # 5
Explorer
Group: Users
Greece
I noticed also another problem that sometimes the surface of the planet doesnt generated at all i try to see what's causing and i think is the huge amount of data that generates if you go in another galaxy to see planets and stars and its like that there is no room at all to generate the surface of the planet.LOD is also at "3".

"Novus Ordo Seclorum"

Intel Core(E6850) 2 Duo 3.00 GHz \ Geforce GTX560 1024MB \ 4GB 667(MHz) 2 Channel RAM \ Windows 7 (32bit) \ Samsung SA700D 120hz (3D)

Edited by j0KeR - Monday, 23.05.2011, 22:28

SpaceEngineerDate: Tuesday, 24.05.2011, 14:42 | Message # 6
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Stars and old planet textures should automatically delete when you land on a new planet. However, current version has a bug with incorrect detecting of video memory usage, so some crashes are inevitable. What is the size of your VRAM?

j0KeRDate: Wednesday, 25.05.2011, 17:39 | Message # 7
Explorer
Greece
My VRAM is 1024 (1GB) in (se.log 968) i also tried changing

r_gal_ModelCacheSize 30 // galaxy models cache size
r_gal_SysModelCacheSize 30 // galaxy subsystem cache size
r_cl_StarModelCacheSize 150 // star cluster subsystem cache size
(i think these settings are the default as i recall correctly?)

to

r_gal_ModelCacheSize 300 // galaxy models cache size
r_gal_SysModelCacheSize 300 // galaxy subsystem cache size
r_cl_StarModelCacheSize 900 // star cluster subsystem cache size

I saw these settings from http://applesforgeeks.com/space-engine-free-universe-simulator/
Played with those around a little bit but that didnt make any difference,also changed the detect amount of vram at startup and the remaining but that didn't help either

Added (25.05.2011, 20:39)
---------------------------------------------
Here are some pictures of the problem i mentioned

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/scr00000.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/222/scr00002.jpg/

As you see it is just plain texture and also it happens when it has already stop "Loading Textures" <-- the blue line in the bottom

"Novus Ordo Seclorum"

Intel Core(E6850) 2 Duo 3.00 GHz \ Geforce GTX560 1024MB \ 4GB 667(MHz) 2 Channel RAM \ Windows 7 (32bit) \ Samsung SA700D 120hz (3D)

Edited by j0KeR - Wednesday, 25.05.2011, 17:51

NeonDate: Thursday, 26.05.2011, 17:44 | Message # 8
Explorer
Australia
Hey Vovo,

I was messing about with the projection settings, and
selected Fish Eye (curiosity killed the cat lol) and
I am now unable to deselect it and return to
Perspective projection.

On top of this, the program will not allow Distort Interface
tick box to be unticked, same with the last tick box (can't
remember what it's called.

Once you select a tick box, any of them except Perspective,
it is impossible to deselect it and return to normal projection.

NeonDate: Thursday, 26.05.2011, 18:50 | Message # 9
Explorer
Australia
Hey Vova,

I notice M 42 is not found in the Database (F3). I'm sure
you're aware it is in the galaxy.

Maybe it might help if there were at sometime an ability
within the database to add found locations to it.

ie the location of M 42 is the star RSN 8404-13983-0 A

It cound also if possible at some later stage in the development,
upload user found objects missing from the database to the
website so the database becomes more complete in terms
of what is actually out there in the SE Universe.

Another possibility for much later, is the ability to enter
Right Ascension & Declination of known objects to get to
particular places.

Neon

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 26.05.2011, 23:41 | Message # 10
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
M42 is present in engine (btw, enter messier names with space, "M 42"). But the 0.93 version heve a bug, that does not allows you to select a nebula. I fix this bug, so new version coming next two weeks allows you to fly to M42 directly.

SapceEngine's database is biulded only of real catalog objects. Missing objects must be added to catalogs first. This can be do like in Celestia - creating a script file and textures/models for galaxies, nebulas, planets etc. I have a plan to write a special manual to help users do this.

You suggestion with finding object via RA-DEC coordinates is good, I take it into account. As well as autopilot flights to lon/lat coordinates on planets.

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 26.05.2011, 23:55 | Message # 11
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Hi,

This is because the mouse does not follow distortion of viewport. If you don't move the mouse after ticking the 'Distort Interface' check-box, you can uncheck it. Try to find right focus by moving mouse across screen, while looking at highlighting of interface controls.

You can disable fish-eye in 'user.cfg,' just find the 'p_Projection' variable.

Current 0.93 version has fish-eye mode added as a quick experiment. It is not finished at all, so it has not been optimized for rendering and has certain bugs. Btw, one bug appears when you switch to fish-eye, check distort interface and switch back to perspective. Then the bloom effect starts affecting the interface, so you can see a glow around letters and windows. To fix it, un-tick distort interface check-box, or disable this option in the 'user config.'

NeonDate: Friday, 27.05.2011, 00:46 | Message # 12
Explorer
Australia
That sounds great :)... Looking forward to all those smile

SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 27.05.2011, 00:57 | Message # 13
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
First, change r_gal_SysModelCacheSize and r_cl_StarModelCacheSize back to 30 and 150. It's a bad idea raising it. Space-Engine has a static cache for galaxy models, so raising its size may lead to VRAM overflow. In next version I will remove these settings completely.

Next,can you not see generated surface textures at all? or does this bug appear after some time? Do you see an error message window at start-up that tells you about an error with loading procedural generation shaders?

Can you send me a log file (se.log in main directory)

NeonDate: Friday, 27.05.2011, 01:05 | Message # 14
Explorer
Australia
Ahhh I see, thanks for that

j0KeRDate: Friday, 27.05.2011, 11:36 | Message # 15
Explorer
Greece
I just change these settings (r_gal_SysModelCacheSize and r_cl_StarModelCacheSize) to see if there is any difference but i changed it now to default. It appears after some time of usage of the program in every planet , at the beginning everything is fine but after some time it starts to change in plain texture like you saw in pictures above , there is not any error not even "OUT_OF_MEMORY" and there is not any crash , just plain textures and i have to reopen the program to show the planets properly.

I couldn't find any "Upload attachment" so i upload the se.log at rapidshare.

https://rapidshare.com/files/975600826/logfileSE.rar

"Novus Ordo Seclorum"

Edited by j0KeR - Friday, 27.05.2011, 11:43

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Troubleshooting - SpaceEngine 0.93
Page 1 of 3123»
Search: