Page 96 of 221«129495969798220221»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Destructor1701Date: Friday, 05.02.2016, 14:38 | Message # 1426
Pioneer
Group: Users
Ireland
Quote DeathStar ()
Very nice! May I also suggest adding crater chains if they aren't too difficult to add?

Seconded! Radially from impact craters, of course (that's how crater chains arise, right? Ejecta from an impact?). Also, the ray systems already implemented could use a bit more noise and variation - I think they look a bit artificial.

FaceDeerDate: Friday, 05.02.2016, 14:55 | Message # 1427
Space Pilot
Canada
Quote Destructor1701 ()
that's how crater chains arise, right? Ejecta from an impact?

Sometimes. Other times they're from tidally-disrupted impactors, like comet Shoemaker-Levy 9, or from binary asteroids (for double craters).

JonahrfDate: Friday, 05.02.2016, 15:41 | Message # 1428
Space Tourist
United States
Does it work on windows 10? I'll like to know before I upgrade

Edited by Jonahrf - Friday, 05.02.2016, 15:42

SalvoDate: Friday, 05.02.2016, 16:07 | Message # 1429
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Quote Jonahrf ()
Does it work on windows 10? I'll like to know before I upgrade

Yes it works, but if you have an ATI/AMD GPU you'll have to delete the file ".../system/atioglxx.dll".

I suggest you to also delete the "cache" folder, even if I don't know if it's necessary.

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

Edited by Salvo - Friday, 05.02.2016, 16:09

405helDate: Friday, 05.02.2016, 16:43 | Message # 1430
Observer
Group: Newbies
Pirate
Are binary asteroids currently included in SE? I looked for 90Antiope but I only found a normal asteroid...

IdgeliosDate: Friday, 05.02.2016, 17:05 | Message # 1431
Astronaut
United States
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
Other Changes

Added detail-less cold/frozen gas/ice giants like Uranus

Do these inert Jovian worlds have age/size correlations to them? Uranus from what I understand is inert currently due to the smaller size and losing internal heat over time which is why Uranus lacks the banded clouds the other Jovian have.

I ask this since it would be really hard to understand why a large ice giant orbiting a young star looks like Uranus more than Neptune other than "it's a immigrant"- but than I look at its age and look! It's a similar age to the star it orbits.

And for that matter, to what extent are surface features defined by correlations to their location and relationships to other worlds? I know that planets extremely close to stars become lava planets and that tidal stress factors into vulcanism, but what about ice worlds w/ life and Europa-like surface features? Ice worlds without any moons would have a hard time having sub-glacial oceans without the tidal forces?

JackDoleDate: Friday, 05.02.2016, 19:16 | Message # 1432
Star Engineer
Germany
Quote Idgelios ()
Ice worlds without any moons would have a hard time having sub-glacial oceans without the tidal forces?

I think it depends on how big is the mass iof this world. If it is large enough so that the world has a hot core and submarine volcanism, - like the earth at the time of the "Snowball Earth" - then there can be life. Otherwise it would now probably be no life on Earth.

Don't forget to look here.

LookAtDatDakkaDate: Friday, 05.02.2016, 23:20 | Message # 1433
Explorer
United States
Can you add a 3D cutaway feature displaying the procedural planet's core, mantle, and the crust and the individual composition of each layers.

NVIDIA 960 GTX 2048MB

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 05.02.2016, 23:55 | Message # 1434
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote LookAtDatDakka ()
Can you add a 3D cutaway feature displaying the procedural planet's core, mantle, and the crust and the individual composition of each layers.

Planetary interiors are not currently modeled, so it would be impossible.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

sinsforealDate: Saturday, 06.02.2016, 01:29 | Message # 1435
Space Pilot
United States
HarbingerDawn, Yes indeed, If you active "noclip mode" you will find the interiors of planets to be empty.

"Man once looked up at the stars and wondered, Now all we do is look at our hands and hesitate"

JackDoleDate: Saturday, 06.02.2016, 13:13 | Message # 1436
Star Engineer
Germany
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
Planetary interiors are not currently modeled, so it would be impossible.

However, it is possible to make something similar by hand. biggrin

Attachments: 2915981.jpg(564Kb)

DarkenTerraDate: Saturday, 06.02.2016, 14:42 | Message # 1437
Astronaut
China
Quote JackDole ()
However, it is possible to make something similar by hand.

Is this overlapping multiple planets? Sounds cool!! biggrin

Who am I ?

JackDoleDate: Saturday, 06.02.2016, 15:24 | Message # 1438
Star Engineer
Germany
Quote DarkenTerra ()
Is this overlapping multiple planets?

I think it would be possible to do it with nested planet, but in this case, these are layers of clouds with a negative height.

Look here

IdgeliosDate: Saturday, 06.02.2016, 15:53 | Message # 1439
Astronaut
United States
Quote JackDole ()
I think it depends on how big is the mass iof this world. If it is large enough so that the world has a hot core and submarine volcanism, - like the earth at the time of the "Snowball Earth" - then there can be life. Otherwise it would now probably be no life on Earth.

So does this mean that small ice giants around older stars will likely look like Uranus and that the inert atmosphere won't be selected at random like rings are?

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 06.02.2016, 17:49 | Message # 1440
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote Jamjars ()
I'm certainly not an expert, but if you could take the time to look at the pictures (or visit the black hole in-game) and tell me if I'm right or wrong about this being a bug, I'd really appreciate it. I think my most compelling argument for it being a bug is the fact that it used to be smaller in previous versions.

The next patch will have limitation for black hole size, so it no longer this big (just 200 AU). I also added limit for star orbit pericenter distance based also on BH event horizon size, not only on Roche limit (large black holes can have so weak gravity on their event horizons, so even stars can cross it and not being destroyed by tidal forces).

Quote PlutonianEmpire ()
Just found a catalog error/limitation, I don't know if it's been found previously. The star HD 2567 has a rotation period locked to its orbital period of 6662050 years. Doesn't seem very likely for a solar mass star. :P

Fixed.

Quote DeathStar ()
Very nice! May I also suggest adding crater chains if they aren't too difficult to add?

No, it's not easy.

Quote Destructor1701 ()
Seconded! Radially from impact craters, of course (that's how crater chains arise, right? Ejecta from an impact?).

No, they are formed by comet chain - debris of a comet disrupted by planet's tidal forces.

Quote 405hel ()
Are binary asteroids currently included in SE? I looked for 90Antiope but I only found a normal asteroid...

Some of them: Ida, Sylvia and some others.

Quote Idgelios ()
Do these inert Jovian worlds have age/size correlations to them? Uranus from what I understand is inert currently due to the smaller size and losing internal heat over time which is why Uranus lacks the banded clouds the other Jovian have.

Uranus is not inert. It just have frozen ammonia fog layer what hides clouds behind it. The same for Neptune and less for Saturn. This depend on chemical composition of planetary atmosphere and on it's average temperature.

Quote Idgelios ()
And for that matter, to what extent are surface features defined by correlations to their location and relationships to other worlds?

For some features - yes, for others - not yet.

Quote JackDole ()
However, it is possible to make something similar by hand.
I think it would be possible to do it with nested planet, but in this case, these are layers of clouds with a negative height.

LOL cool hack smile

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Page 96 of 221«129495969798220221»
Search: