Page 60 of 221«125859606162220221»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Destructor1701Date: Saturday, 05.12.2015, 17:49 | Message # 886
Pioneer
Group: Users
Ireland
Quote parameciumkid ()
Okay I was going to let this rest, honest! But I stumbled across this video today:

Have you see that MIT gamelabs demo "A Slower Speed Of Light" I linked? On the YouTube page, there's a download link. Check it out.

parameciumkidDate: Saturday, 05.12.2015, 20:11 | Message # 887
Explorer
United States
Saw it, and the videos. I tried to play it, but unfortunately it refused to run. I blame lazy coding.
I did download their engine thing and play with it a bit, but it looks more like a conceptual illustration tool than a scientifically precise simulator. For example they completely neglected the headlight effect, and all of the textures are placeholders.

Intel HD Graphics 4000 ;P

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 05.12.2015, 21:14 | Message # 888
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote parameciumkid ()
I tried to play it, but unfortunately it refused to run. I blame lazy coding.

It always worked fine for me.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Spock1108Date: Sunday, 06.12.2015, 16:32 | Message # 889
Space Tourist
Antarctica
Accretion discs are fantastic! But, since you have done this great job, why not use those models to make the protoplanetary disks, for many stars?
Why not put a variable diameter or procedural for the disk around holes blacks?

Sorry for my English! ;)

sinsforealDate: Sunday, 06.12.2015, 16:54 | Message # 890
Space Pilot
United States
Quote Spock1108 ()
Accretion discs are fantastic! But, since you have done this great job, why not use those models to make the protoplanetary disks, for many stars?

Protoplanetary disks I assume will be coming in the near future

"Man once looked up at the stars and wondered, Now all we do is look at our hands and hesitate"

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 06.12.2015, 21:57 | Message # 891
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote huishb ()
SpaceEngineer, will there be a on/off option for the red/blue Doppler effect?

No, why this should be added?

Quote LookAtDatDakka ()
I got a question SpaceEngineer. Has a floating point precision hit limitation have been eliminated so we get details of 0.1-1 cm. It has been there for a very loooooooooong time.

No. Reversed depth buffer eliminated precision problems of rendering of far objects. Precision limitation on generating textures is still here.

Quote parameciumkid ()
he/you might want to take a look as a reference for SE's color distortions.

I doubt they used multispectral photos to make textures for objects on that scene, to accurately show red/blueshift. So no, it can't be used as reference.

Quote Spock1108 ()

There are many reasons, with two major:
1) Disks are flat, not volumetric.
2) They are rendered via raytracing inside a big sphere 1000x times radius of the black hole. No other objects must be inside that sphere, otherwhise there will be artefacts.

Quote Spock1108 ()

It is variable and procedual of course. As long as disk temperature, density and rotation speed (they calculated based of BH gravity and accretion rate).

DenebStarFTWDate: Monday, 07.12.2015, 01:33 | Message # 892
Space Tourist
Chile
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
disk temperature, density and rotation speed

So accretion disk emit heat? Can we technically have terras around them now?

- S T A Y -

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 07.12.2015, 10:35 | Message # 893
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote DenebStarFTW ()
So accretion disk emit heat? Can we technically have terras around them now?

Yes. But it have no physical sense. Terra with life can exist only in only some artifical system with weak and stable accreation disk and a planet on circular orbit around BH. Like in Interstellar.

Quote Watsisname ()
This is a very common misconception, perpetuated by years of documentaries and films that keep getting it wrong.

I know. SE renders black hole for stationary observer. And this have sense: you can lock camera at any distance from the horizon. For ships falling into BH, another rendering is needed. It may be implemented in future, or may be not: any ship will be disrupted by tidal forces or evaporated by accretion disk emission a long time before reaching the horizon. Even billion solar mass BH with no accretion disk will heat up interstellar gas falling to it by 10-20 thousand Kelvins.

BTW, I didn't saw any documentary showing optical effects near black holes. Up to "Interstellar", all documentaries depicted black holes as black spheres with no lensing effects.

Also, this conversation if off-topic here.

WatsisnameDate: Monday, 07.12.2015, 11:01 | Message # 894
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Agreed. Split discussion of black hole volume and visual effects to Astronomy Q&A thread.

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 07.12.2015, 22:54 | Message # 895
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Upgrades in cool star rendering. Stars are red dwarfs M8.1, M9.0, M9.9. Brown dwarfs are L6, T5, Y5. Note what late stars have almost the same size. And yes, SpaceEngine now supports decimal subclass numbers like "8.1". Solar spots are upgraded a bit also. There must be smooth transition in appearance between coldest M-dwarfs (M9.9) and hottest Y-dwarfs, but I didn't implement it yet.

Attachments: 1121416.jpg(390Kb) · 3883733.jpg(393Kb) · 0795879.jpg(431Kb) · 8276862.jpg(286Kb) · 7097078.jpg(249Kb) · 6826701.jpg(209Kb)

VoekoevakaDate: Monday, 07.12.2015, 23:18 | Message # 896
World Builder
Group: SE team
France
That M9.9 star is wonderful !

Want some music of mine ? Please go here !

DeathStarDate: Monday, 07.12.2015, 23:23 | Message # 897
Pioneer
Croatia
Quote Voekoevaka ()
That M9.9 star is wonderful !

Agreed! It looks so warm and inviting, even though it is one of the coldest types of ordinary stars in the universe, ironically. The new decimal numbers in the star class are also pretty cool, this is the first time I see them in general(didn't know stellar class can have a decimal).

Also, finally Y dwarfs! They barely look different from most gas giants and seem to emit very little light. Question now is - do they ever get generated as solitary stars?(since T dwarfs don't currently)

Also, I noticed a small, but nevertheless great improvement - the temperature is no longer rounded up to the nearest 10, but it is accurate down to 1 kelvin. Very nice!

Edited by DeathStar - Monday, 07.12.2015, 23:26

LookAtDatDakkaDate: Tuesday, 08.12.2015, 00:00 | Message # 898
Explorer
United States
SpaceEngineer, you should create a separate atmospheric model for procedural gas giants because it would allows us to go deeper into the giants.

NVIDIA 960 GTX 2048MB

sinsforealDate: Tuesday, 08.12.2015, 03:45 | Message # 899
Space Pilot
United States
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Upgrades in cool star rendering. Stars are red dwarfs M8.1, M9.0, M9.9. Brown dwarfs are L6, T5, Y5. Note what late stars have almost the same size. And yes, SpaceEngine now supports decimal subclass numbers like "8.1". Solar spots are upgraded a bit also. There must be smooth transition in appearance between coldest M-dwarfs (M9.9) and hottest Y-dwarfs, but I didn't implement it yet.

Wow looks great can't wait until the next patch! Keep up the great work space engineer!

"Man once looked up at the stars and wondered, Now all we do is look at our hands and hesitate"

WatsisnameDate: Tuesday, 08.12.2015, 04:33 | Message # 900
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Very nice to have a smoother distribution of stars, and the lower mass dwarfs look gorgeous. Great work!

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Page 60 of 221«125859606162220221»
Search: