[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 56 of 221«125455565758220221»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Spock1108Date: Saturday, 21.11.2015, 22:13 | Message # 826
Space Tourist
Group: Users
Antarctica
I downloaded and installed the new version, but the sun and the solar system have disappeared XD I think the problem is the sun ... how do I fix it?

Sorry for my English! ;)

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 21.11.2015, 22:22 | Message # 827
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote Spock1108 ()
I downloaded and installed the new version, but the sun and the solar system have disappeared XD I think the problem is the sun ... how do I fix it?

0.974 is the patch, you should install it over 0.973. And 0.973 is also a patch for 0.972 smile

DeathStarDate: Saturday, 21.11.2015, 22:23 | Message # 828
Pioneer
Croatia
That blueshift effect looks so cool. I'm not too knowledgeable about the Alcuberrie drive or it's physical effects on light, but I assume that at high enough strengths, the light coming to the front of the ship would shift to the microwave/radio spectrum, while light coming to behind would shift to the x-ray/ultraviolet spectrum.

If so is true, I have an idea on how to represent the Cosmic microwave background, but I don't know how feasible it would be.

Make the entire scene (the universe) have a generated-noise background texture that is normally totally invisible(let's say it's transparency is set to maximum or it is completely darkened). Then, when the Alcuberrie drive is on a strong enough level, start making the background visible(by increasing opacity or brightening it).

Again, not sure how feasible it is, but it would be very cool if it would be possible.

WatsisnameDate: Saturday, 21.11.2015, 23:02 | Message # 829
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Maybe few SE versions later, when I implement the Kerr metric for rotating black holes

blink

FastFourierTransformDate: Saturday, 21.11.2015, 23:13 | Message # 830
Pioneer
Group: Local Moderators
Spain
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Maybe few SE versions later, when I implement the Kerr metric for rotating black holes

Yes. I'm also amazed of this!!! cry

I like so much this once in a week diary entries of the work in progress. Keep going Vlad!!

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 21.11.2015, 23:19 | Message # 831
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote DeathStar ()
If so is true, I have an idea on how to represent the Cosmic microwave background, but I don't know how feasible it would be.

Yes, this could work. Noise texture is not really needed, SMBR spectrum is uniform black body radiation with temperature fluctuations of ~10-5. It's impossible to see them even on highly blueshifted image. CMBR will look just like uniform glow of the sky.

DeathStarDate: Saturday, 21.11.2015, 23:50 | Message # 832
Pioneer
Croatia
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Yes, this could work. Noise texture is not really needed, SMBR spectrum is uniform black body radiation with temperature fluctuations of ~10-5. It's impossible to see them even on highly blueshifted image. CMBR will look just like uniform glow of the sky.

Great to hear! All those pictures of the CMBR have led me to the false conclusion that the low and high temperature areas have a sharp contrast, hence my suggestion for the (as you pointed out, unnecessary) noise. Even without the noise, though, the CMBR would be nice to have, with space in front of you starting to glow as you travel at intergalactic speeds(or even lower speeds).

InariusDate: Sunday, 22.11.2015, 23:24 | Message # 833
Explorer
France
That's really great work ! Such details ! Wonderful !

parameciumkidDate: Monday, 23.11.2015, 04:54 | Message # 834
Explorer
United States
I love the fact that you're doing doppler effect redshift for the hyperdrive, but allow me to rehash my earlier statement about bright colors.
I DO know that severe doppler effects would cause ultraviolet or infrared light to become visible IRL and that Space Engine does not and is not planned to incorporate these. As a solution, though, rather than simply truncate the red/blue shift and get left with highly saturated blue or red backgrounds, I suggest scaling down or muting the colors so that even if not as severe as would be realistic, it also doesn't look unrealistically oversaturated.
Pursuant to this, I'd like to point out that blueshifting would also drive things toward white and redshifting toward black. I already observed that this is implemented somewhat in the above screenshots, so my suggestion is perhaps trying a little more brightness shift and less color shift.
I could maybe post a picture of what I'm imagining if it helps xP (See below)

Oh, and while I understand an exact warp effect isn't feasible, are you able to implement any degree of reduced field of view a la the black hole upgrade (e.g. the shot looking out from near the event horizon)? From what I've read about relativistic effects, at ludicrous speed the sky in front is reduced to a blinding blue-white point while stars in back fade from red straight to black.

EDIT: Here, this is sort of what I meant:

Rather than shift the colors uniformly toward blue, do some sort of additive color temperature shift so that things get super bright while the bloom and shading shift toward bluish and purplish. If you can, of course. Don't do it if you don't want to; I'm just throwing in my aesthetic opinions after all ;)
Oh, and ignore the fact that the ship(s) are getting shifted too. That's just a random screenshot I had. It more or less represents the camera whooshing toward them rather than the ships themselves moving. And of course it leaves out the part I mentioned about the field of view changing because I couldn't be arsed to write my own shader just for an illustration xD

Intel HD Graphics 4000 ;P

Edited by parameciumkid - Monday, 23.11.2015, 05:17

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 23.11.2015, 06:31 | Message # 835
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote parameciumkid ()
As a solution, though, rather than simply truncate the red/blue shift and get left with highly saturated blue or red backgrounds, I suggest scaling down or muting the colors so that even if not as severe as would be realistic

There is no "simple truncate", but simulation of hr actual red/blue shift based on some assumption about spectrum. On these screenshots, each pixel is assumed to have sun-like spectrum, so missing data from IR/UV is simple constants in the code. In future updates I plan to make better approach by analyzing of the pixel color to get idea about it's full spectrum (something like conversion RGB -> Planck temperature -> shift -> RGB).

Quote parameciumkid ()
it also doesn't look unrealistically oversaturated.

Lol did you saw doppler/gravity shift with your eyes, to know which is "realistic"?

Quote parameciumkid ()
so my suggestion is perhaps trying a little more brightness shift and less color shift.

Brightness change is already based on right formulas, so don't need any tweaks. Aesthetics have nothing to do with real nature.

Quote parameciumkid ()
Oh, and while I understand an exact warp effect isn't feasible, are you able to implement any degree of reduced field of view a la the black hole upgrade (e.g. the shot looking out from near the event horizon)? From what I've read about relativistic effects, at ludicrous speed the sky in front is reduced to a blinding blue-white point while stars in back fade from red straight to black.

Ships in SE are moving using warp drive, not subluminal flight. Wiew from inside the warp bubble also shows effect of field of view shrinking, but without raytracing in real Alcubierre metrics it's hard to implement.

Also, ship movement required updating of the skybox texture each frame. This is heavy operation currently, on my system FPS drops from 300 to 3 in interstellar flight. So I probably will be forced to change back to old method of recontruction of the missing frame data (mirror repeat of the frame texture instead of using skybox in the offscreen areas of the warped image).

n0b0dyDate: Monday, 23.11.2015, 19:23 | Message # 836
Explorer
Pirate
SpaceEngineer, can you have a look at this please. Thank You smile .

SalvoDate: Monday, 23.11.2015, 20:10 | Message # 837
Star Engineer
Italy
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
on my system FPS drops from 300 to 3 in interstellar flight.

I'm afraid of what could happen on mine...

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

EliamDate: Monday, 23.11.2015, 20:13 | Message # 838
Observer
France
Amazing.

With the blueshift/redshift it would be fun to create a mod with relativistic effects on time. Speeds would be limited under c but due to time dilation effects the travel between two different points would only take few seconds in camera proper time with an enormous acceleration.

For example starting at Earth in 2014 and choosing to go to Adromeda would take a little more than 10.35 seconds in camera proper time with a 200 million g acceleration + deceleration phase. The arrival year would then be around 2,502,014.

Tac1017Date: Monday, 23.11.2015, 20:23 | Message # 839
Explorer
United States
Would there be a way to keep a procedural set universal for future releases so people can be looking from the same set of planets regardless of version, and so "Terraphase", or where people need to find another planet that satisfies them? I would HATE to do that again, being I found a Pinkworld Terra that is just off the small lobe of Barnard's loop.

(Just for those who are wondering, I put scans in ''My latest finding that's earth-like"

The Terra Hunter of the Milky Way!

(By the way, I was born in 2001, NOT 1972 XD)

Edited by Tac1017 - Monday, 23.11.2015, 20:26

OMGspace_engineDate: Monday, 23.11.2015, 23:17 | Message # 840
Observer
Brazil
About an older post "reversed floating-point depth buffer", it will be available in 9.7.4 ???

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Page 56 of 221«125455565758220221»
Search: