[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 52 of 221«125051525354220221»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Kamil_CaderDate: Tuesday, 10.11.2015, 15:14 | Message # 766
Observer
Group: Users
Poland
...someone asked about how big accretion discs can be... So, that small dot in the centre is Sgr A*, with has the radius of ~0,06AU?... wink

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Tuesday, 10.11.2015, 16:57 | Message # 767
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Those are some impressive looking accretion disks.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Joey_PenguinDate: Tuesday, 10.11.2015, 17:30 | Message # 768
Pioneer
United States
Holy geez on a cripes, look what I've missed! Just think what the quasars are like.

Careful. The PLATT Collective has spurs.

Destructor1701Date: Tuesday, 10.11.2015, 22:40 | Message # 769
Pioneer
Ireland
That Sag A* simulation is astonishing.

I usually imagine that monster as a naked hole, but it's so much more terrifying with the disc visualised.

In reality, the disc would have more 3D structure, though, right? It would bulge thicker as you get further from the hole, wouldn't it?
Like this:

Aesthetically, I think I prefer the flat disk.

disc disk.

parameciumkidDate: Wednesday, 11.11.2015, 00:33 | Message # 770
Explorer
United States
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
He already stated that it's not realistic, and can't be since SE does not contain infrared or ultraviolet image information, which would be needed for realistic colors.

Yes, I read that part. If it is indeed supposed to involve vivid, saturated colors, I'll rest my case, but my gut feeling is that the colors would be a bit more muted.
It's sort of like how the accretion disk itself, where "blue" shifted, is instead a brilliant white, while the "red" shifted part is dark orange, due to the way blackbody emissions work. But the sky in the background is bright blue, even between the stars.
What I'd imagine as a bit more believable is if a different sort of filter could be applied to the sky pixels that would increase the intensity and color temperature of the stars, but leave the black untouched.
Again, I presume SpaceEngineer has already looked into this for the release version wink

Intel HD Graphics 4000 ;P

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 11.11.2015, 01:31 | Message # 771
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote parameciumkid ()
But the sky in the background is bright blue, even between the stars.

Because between the stars are the galaxy model's bulge sprites which are "stars" themselves (or we should pretend that they are). The shader isn't going to shift the color of something that isn't there.

Quote parameciumkid ()
my gut feeling is that the colors would be a bit more muted.

Of course it would look a lot less colorful IF IT WERE REALISTIC. I must stress again, the colors cannot look accurate without UV and IR rendering, and you're going to have a lot of blue and a lot of red if you're clamped to visible wavelengths.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

SalvoDate: Wednesday, 11.11.2015, 08:01 | Message # 772
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
the colors cannot look accurate without UV and IR rendering

If SpaceEngineer implemented "HDR", would it be possible?

If I'm not wrong it helps representing luminosity using, not more 0.0 - 1.0 colors, but an absolute value.

Otherwise I'm afraid its almost impossible, since you would need to edit the OpenGL rendering itself...

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

Edited by Salvo - Wednesday, 11.11.2015, 08:05

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 11.11.2015, 09:41 | Message # 773
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote parameciumkid ()
It's sort of like how the accretion disk itself, where "blue" shifted, is instead a brilliant white, while the "red" shifted part is dark orange, due to the way blackbody emissions work.

Skybox don't have temperature data. Instead of shifting temperature, the shader make spectrum shift, ie redistribute energy between R, G and B channels according to the blueshift value. The problem is what there is nothing before R channel (no infrared channels). So it simply take some constant value to simulate infrared emission of stars (obviously, it appear uniform across the sky). This reduces blue color saturation, and I choose this value to make blueshifted red stars look like blue stars (this must be close to reality). This also must dot destroy very much appearance of monochromatic sources, such as red nebulae: with increasing blueshift, they must become yellow, green, blue and violet.

Quote parameciumkid ()
What I'd imagine as a bit more believable is if a different sort of filter could be applied to the sky pixels that would increase the intensity and color temperature of the stars, but leave the black untouched.

There was no black in this scene - look carefully at first screen, there is galaxy bulge visible, like HarbingerDawn said.

Quote Salvo ()
If SpaceEngineer implemented "HDR", would it be possible?

LOL, HDR was implemented in 0.8x version.

SalvoDate: Wednesday, 11.11.2015, 10:10 | Message # 774
Star Engineer
Italy
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
LOL, HDR was implemented in 0.8x version.

Really? biggrin

Yeah, maybe without HDR Auto-Exposure couldn't be possible... Anyway, I don't know how that could be implemented, but, for sure, it's a very interesting topic!

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

Destructor1701Date: Wednesday, 11.11.2015, 12:26 | Message # 775
Pioneer
Ireland
Salvo, you're basically asking for full-spectrum rendering, because spatial contortion can frequency-shift light from invisible frequencies into the visible. This would lead to UV and IR (and radio and gamma, etc, etc) getting mapped onto the visible colours in ways that look different to ordinary appearances, dependent on the frequency shift. Blueshift and redshift aren't just a "Blue-ening" or a "reddening"... they're a translation of the invisible into the visible.

In order to render that accurately, SE would have to simulate the invisible... which would be a monumental undertaking.

JackDoleDate: Wednesday, 11.11.2015, 15:30 | Message # 776
Star Engineer
Germany
Concerning eclipse shadows bugs:

I made this negative energy cage for DoctorOfSpace's wormholes. Sometimes the cages are broken. The reason are the eclipse shadows.

Eclipse shadow on:

Eclipse shadow off:

This bug does not seem to occur in SE 0.973.

The script is for a cage without Wormhole.

Attachments: 3115386.jpg(67Kb) · 3898839.jpg(69Kb) · 9828151.jpg(66Kb) · SaturnCage02.zip(120Kb)

Don't forget to look here.

Edited by JackDole - Wednesday, 11.11.2015, 15:32

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 11.11.2015, 16:27 | Message # 777
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote JackDole ()
Concerning eclipse shadows bugs:
I made this negative energy cage for DoctorOfSpace's wormholes. Sometimes the cages are broken. The reason are the eclipse shadows.

Fixed. Such a strange thing you constructed! There orbs are too small and too close to each other. Numerical errors leaded to passing a value slightly greater than 1 into acos(), what returned NaN result and broke planet rendering.

JackDoleDate: Wednesday, 11.11.2015, 17:32 | Message # 778
Star Engineer
Germany
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
There orbs are too small and too close to each other

Thanks for the answer.
I understand - I think unsure

Problems with too small parameters I had already when I tried to construct very small Dyson bubbles. The angles are no longer correct.

Diameter 900 km:

Diameter 90000 km:

Attachments: 4963407.jpg(71Kb) · 4520616.jpg(71Kb)

Don't forget to look here.

grampiponDate: Wednesday, 11.11.2015, 17:42 | Message # 779
Observer
Group: Newbies
Pirate
SpaceEngineer, when are we getting the accretion discs?! I can't wait! You did an amazing job!

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Wednesday, 11.11.2015, 17:53 | Message # 780
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote grampipon ()
when are we getting the accretion discs?!

As with all such things, when its ready.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Page 52 of 221«125051525354220221»
Search: