Page 47 of 221«124546474849220221»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
parameciumkidDate: Sunday, 25.10.2015, 22:41 | Message # 691
Explorer
Group: Users
United States
Quote Alek ()
But also, water allows plate tectonics, as we see Venus and Mars have little to no liquid water and so no plate tectonics.

Unless there's been a major paradigm shift in the geology field that I haven't heard about, water has nothing to do with plate tectonics.

The plates in the crust make up the lithosphere, which as the name implies is a sphere of hard rock. They float on top of the asthenosphere, which is a layer made of liquid magma. In the case of continents, the rock is less dense and remains on top, but in the case of the sea floor, the rock is more dense (it's made of the same minerals, but denser because it is cooler). Thus the edges of the oceanic plates are generally either new rock being formed from magma bubbling up or old rock sinking into the mantle, slowly dragging the rest of the plate along with it.

It does require liquid, but it's subsurface magma that it requires, not water.

Intel HD Graphics 4000 ;P

DeathStarDate: Sunday, 25.10.2015, 23:21 | Message # 692
Pioneer
Croatia
parameciumkid, I actually also thought that Alek's claim wasn't correct at first, but I looked it up and from what I have gathered it is actually partially correct. Oceans are required for Earth-style plate tectonics, since the oceans seem to be the cause of the lithosphere fracturing(or something to that effect).

AlekDate: Monday, 26.10.2015, 03:41 | Message # 693
Pioneer
United States
Quote parameciumkid ()
Unless there's been a major paradigm shift in the geology field that I haven't heard about, water has nothing to do with plate tectonics.

The plates in the crust make up the lithosphere, which as the name implies is a sphere of hard rock. They float on top of the asthenosphere, which is a layer made of liquid magma. In the case of continents, the rock is less dense and remains on top, but in the case of the sea floor, the rock is more dense (it's made of the same minerals, but denser because it is cooler). Thus the edges of the oceanic plates are generally either new rock being formed from magma bubbling up or old rock sinking into the mantle, slowly dragging the rest of the plate along with it.

It does require liquid, but it's subsurface magma that it requires, not water.

Quote DeathStar ()
parameciumkid, I actually also thought that Alek's claim wasn't correct at first, but I looked it up and from what I have gathered it is actually partially correct. Oceans are required for Earth-style plate tectonics, since the oceans seem to be the cause of the lithosphere fracturing(or something to that effect).

The oceans allow for easier movement. Water has the effect of grease in an engine, where plate tectonics may work without it but it has to be specially made and would be quite rare, because water allows the plates to not grind against each other as much, causing movement to occur faster and easier.

Living among the stars, I find my way. I grow in strength through knowledge of the space I occupy, until I become the ruler of my own interstellar empire of sorts. Though The world was made for the day, I was made for the night, and thus, the universe itself is within my destiny.

parameciumkidDate: Monday, 26.10.2015, 06:06 | Message # 694
Explorer
United States
Yay, I learned something today!
xP

Intel HD Graphics 4000 ;P

Bells_TheoremDate: Monday, 26.10.2015, 23:49 | Message # 695
Explorer
United States
Quote Alek ()
The oceans allow for easier movement. Water has the effect of grease in an engine, where plate tectonics may work without it but it has to be specially made and would be quite rare, because water allows the plates to not grind against each other as much, causing movement to occur faster and easier.

Which might also explain Venus' lack of plate tectonics despite being very volcaniclly active. Nothing to grease the gears.

BilliaDate: Wednesday, 28.10.2015, 21:28 | Message # 696
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Found another potential bug. Has to do with star browser. When I'm using the filter function, and I set minimum temperature at 50ºF and maximum temperature at 80ºF, the filter shows me results that contain the planet type I searched for, but the temperature is not what I wanted. I have the browser set to display results by filter. My search parameters are as follows:
main star: main sequence/G/any
parent sun: main sequence/G/any
Sun count: 1
Moon count: any
object to search: planet only
planet parameters/any/terra
temp:50F-80F
atmosphere: 0.7-1.3
Include aurorae
exclude rings
exclude tidal lock
Organic life: multicellular/any biome

Maybe I just don't understand the star browser filter function correctly.

Donatelo200Date: Thursday, 29.10.2015, 12:58 | Message # 697
Explorer
United States
The temperature you search for is only the planets average temperature. At a specific point in the orbit it may be higher or lower due to eccentricity and since you chose a narrow temperature range the temperature will almost always go out of bounds at some point in the orbit.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012)
RAM: Unknown 16G-D3-1600-MR 2x8GB
MBD: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition (MS-7922)

BilliaDate: Thursday, 29.10.2015, 15:25 | Message # 698
Observer
United States
Quote Donatelo200 ()
The temperature you search for is only the planets average temperature. At a specific point in the orbit it may be higher or lower due to eccentricity and since you chose a narrow temperature range the temperature will almost always go out of bounds at some point in the orbit.

I see! Thanks!

Ettore_bilboDate: Friday, 30.10.2015, 12:58 | Message # 699
Space Pilot
Italy
Quote Alek ()

Alek, I never heard of this "feature" of the oceans. Can you cite some article or source from which you brought this information?

AlekDate: Friday, 30.10.2015, 22:52 | Message # 700
Pioneer
United States
Quote Ettore_bilbo ()
Alek, I never heard of this "feature" of the oceans. Can you cite some article or source from which you brought this information?

Honestly, I don't remember where I got it, though I don't think it's my own idea and even if it was, it's still logical due to what Bells_Theorem pointed out, and same thing for Mars (since the water it has is very scarce or in the ice caps which wouldn't help plate tectonics any )

Living among the stars, I find my way. I grow in strength through knowledge of the space I occupy, until I become the ruler of my own interstellar empire of sorts. Though The world was made for the day, I was made for the night, and thus, the universe itself is within my destiny.

VatoraDate: Friday, 30.10.2015, 23:27 | Message # 701
Observer
United States
I have a problem with the skybox export. Whenever I am close enough to a planet for it to show my latitude and longitude the clouds disappear. This only happens in 0.9.7.4, and only when using the skybox exporter. In earlier versions it is fine.

Attachments: 0691715.jpg(517Kb)

Edited by Vatora - Saturday, 31.10.2015, 05:40

JackDoleDate: Saturday, 31.10.2015, 13:30 | Message # 702
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Germany
This is a graphical glitch which occurred, when I was trying to build accretion disks. It happened when I switched from FOV 45 to FOV 60. Unfortunately, I have not been able to repeat it. Could it be repeated, it should be kept. biggrin

Attachments: 4167503.jpg(109Kb) · 4727733.jpg(177Kb)

Don't forget to look here.

OBV10U3_NINJADate: Wednesday, 04.11.2015, 03:06 | Message # 703
Observer
United States
No idea if anyone else said this, but known planets, such as earth, aren't properly showing.

However, procedural worlds are fine.

I deleted the cache folder to prevent a bug that occurred once before. Did I do something wrong?

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 04.11.2015, 09:50 | Message # 704
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
OBV10U3_NINJA, post your se.log log file.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

OBV10U3_NINJADate: Wednesday, 04.11.2015, 13:39 | Message # 705
Observer
United States
Nevermind, I deleted the cache a second time, ran SE twice and it worked on the second run.

A bit weird.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Page 47 of 221«124546474849220221»
Search: