Page 168 of 221«12166167168169170220221»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
sinsforealDate: Thursday, 05.05.2016, 21:38 | Message # 2506
Space Pilot
Group: Users
United States
Not too many more things to do.

All that is left is better lighting to fix issues and make it as realistic as possible, volumetric clouds; this will lead to proto disks and better black holes as well as quasar jets and improved nebula and galaxies rendering as well as water rendering, intergalactic stars also need to done before 1.0; rocks and plants as well as trees on planetary surfaces, and finally better looking star models.

"Man once looked up at the stars and wondered, Now all we do is look at our hands and hesitate"

MosfetDate: Thursday, 05.05.2016, 22:14 | Message # 2507
World Builder
Italy
...And rocks on rings, and...

"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Douglas N. Adams
My mods
Asus x555ub: cpu i5-6200u - ram 4gb - gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

HornblowerDate: Thursday, 05.05.2016, 22:42 | Message # 2508
World Builder
United States
...And caves and mines on planets, and...

sinsforealDate: Thursday, 05.05.2016, 22:45 | Message # 2509
Space Pilot
United States
Hornblower, That is not possible in the current engine.

"Man once looked up at the stars and wondered, Now all we do is look at our hands and hesitate"

Bells_TheoremDate: Friday, 06.05.2016, 00:08 | Message # 2510
Explorer
United States
Awesome: :D

Can't wait for rogue stars too.

IdgeliosDate: Friday, 06.05.2016, 03:08 | Message # 2511
Astronaut
United States
I can't see rogue stars being a thing until stellar motion is simulated some point in the 2020's.

Or do you mean rogue stars in the void of intergalactic space?

Since I don't how you'd even find those on a intergalactic scale. Not even a star browser I can picture helping.

SalvoDate: Friday, 06.05.2016, 06:23 | Message # 2512
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Quote sinsforeal ()
All that is left is better lighting to fix issues and make it as realistic as possible, volumetric clouds; this will lead to proto disks and better black holes as well as quasar jets and improved nebula and galaxies rendering as well as water rendering, intergalactic stars also need to done before 1.0; rocks and plants as well as trees on planetary surfaces, and finally better looking star models.

Things than can be made in a few days, am I right? cool

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

sinsforealDate: Friday, 06.05.2016, 09:37 | Message # 2513
Space Pilot
United States
Salvo, I know that is sarcasm but I will reply anyways. :P These features will take many many months maybe up to a year to implement or longer to fully implement. I am not a programmer these are rough esitimates and I have no idea how close we are to getting it implemented. But if he implements anything first it should be volumetric clouds because he can rebrand the code for more purposes like nebula to speed up coding.

sinsforealDate: Friday, 06.05.2016, 09:38 | Message # 2514
Space Pilot
United States
Idgelios, Yes I do mean rogue stars in intergalactic space. You would most likely have to turn up star brightness all the way to find any.

sinsforealDate: Friday, 06.05.2016, 09:38 | Message # 2515
Space Pilot
United States
Mosfet, I forgot about that.

SalvoDate: Friday, 06.05.2016, 10:14 | Message # 2516
Star Engineer
Italy
Well, let's write some numbers!

Quote sinsforeal ()
better lighting

To edit the current shaders/add new ones/add new effects, I would say at least one month.

Quote sinsforeal ()
volumetric clouds

He would have to create a shader for clouds particles, (1 week?), then he would have to create an algorithm to spawns these particles in a realistic way (2-3 weeks?), then he would probably need 2-3 more weeks to apply the changes to every type of object.
In total it's, at least, 6 weeks. (using the engine at the current state)

Quote sinsforeal ()
improved nebula and galaxies rendering

I really have no idea, but probably more than one month.

Quote sinsforeal ()
as well as water rendering

Together with clouds, it's the feature I mostly wanted to see in the game. If he found an shading/movements algorithm for water that was compatible with SE, I would say 2 weeks to implement it in the engine, plus 3 weeks to adapt it to planets.
In total 5 weeks. (assuming he wants to start from scratch)

Quote sinsforeal ()
intergalactic stars

The problem here seems to be finding a way to set the right position for these stars, since you don't have the galaxy as reference. So it might take a week like an entire month, anyway I'm not sure Vladimir wants to implement intergalactic stars since, actually, there is no way to eventually find them!

Quote sinsforeal ()
rocks and plants as well as trees on planetary surfaces

Here too there is a problem of positioning. Since the terrain on planets is basically just a texture with height-map, there is no easy way to put these object in the right position. I don't think you want to see a tree on the top of a mountain, do you? tongue
So I think one month should be necessary for finding the algorithm.
Also plants does not necessarily need to exist on alien planets, so he would have to create an huge variety of objects, that should also be able to change. (for example depending if they are on snow or not)
For this, I would say two months, if no-one is helping him.

Quote sinsforeal ()
better looking star models

I have no idea since I don't know at which state the current star rendering system is. But I guess at least a few weeks are necessary.

Quote Mosfet ()
rocks on rings

This is a nightmare, because if he spawn normal asteroids you would have 0.5 fps in the best cases. He you have to create a new type of object (2-3 weeks) that is able to disappear when too far away (1-2 weeks?), and spawn it around planets with rings with correct parameters based on distance from planets, etc. (4 weeks are the minimum for such a thing!)
So in total it's 8 weeks, quite a lot actually!

Here is my estimates. I might be wrong of course, since SpaceEngineer only knows his code. smile

Edited by Salvo - Friday, 06.05.2016, 10:18

Brett001Date: Friday, 06.05.2016, 10:36 | Message # 2517
Space Pilot
Hungary
This planemo very interesting. Excellent work, Vladimir! smile

Salvo,

Reading these problems I think that would have been easier at the time when Vladimir decided the Space Engine development of an existing graphics engine integrated into the SE? Expl.: Unreal, Unity? As I know that these are free. I'm not a programmer, I'm sorry if I say stupidity. wink

SalvoDate: Friday, 06.05.2016, 12:21 | Message # 2518
Star Engineer
Italy
Quote Brett001 ()
would have been easier at the time when Vladimir decided the Space Engine development of an existing graphics engine integrated into the SE?

Not too much actually, he would have just gained some time in the beginning, and the whole graphic part would be slightly easier, but implementing features requires the same amount of time. smile

sinsforealDate: Friday, 06.05.2016, 12:44 | Message # 2519
Space Pilot
United States
Salvo, So in total around ten months of time is a good estimate of how long it will take to fully implement these features. That is my minimum estimate. In reality it will most likely take at least a year to implement all of this because of bug testing and issues it may cause as well as many different unknowns that could occur. So we will be close to 1.0 around this time next year if I am correct.

Edited by sinsforeal - Friday, 06.05.2016, 12:45

sinsforealDate: Friday, 06.05.2016, 12:47 | Message # 2520
Space Pilot
United States
Salvo, the engineer plans to make money off of this engine and because of this using the unreal engine or unity would of require him to buy a expensive license to be able to sell copy's of space engine. That is why he coded the engine from scratch

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Page 168 of 221«12166167168169170220221»
Search: