n0b0dyDate: Thursday, 07.04.2016, 15:53 | Message # 2116
Explorer
Group: Users
Pirate
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Read it again:

I did. But I couldn't believe it until I tried and saw it with my own eyes :p

Quote SpaceEngineer ()
No, modification of the default model is unsupported. Reason is simple - mod must not change generated universe, otherwise we will have a problem in a future online game. Mod may change only visual appearance of a galaxy, but not it's content (ie generated stars). So you may only create a new model. For example, make s script addons/models/galaxies/NewMilkyWay.cfg:

Code

GalaxyModel "MilkyWay2"
{
UseForObject "Milky Way"

FrontTexture "MilkyWay2.*"
FrontImage "MilkyWay2_small.*"

........ other parameters here ........
}

This will replace Milky way model to your new model. If you add UseForType "SBb", new model will be used for some other SBb galaxies (with have no custom model). but if you also add a custom sys texture (for example SysTexture "MilkyWay2_sys.*"), this will change procedural stars in the Milky way and other SBb galaxies, which will lead to changing saved location in MilkyWay and that galaxies and impossibility to share them with other users.

Ok I understand that. I was not asking exactly that. I am not messing with original /data/model.cfg nor I intend to. All I was saying was if I can *only* include the galaxy/nebula parameters that I actually want to change in the addons/model.cfg without *repeatting* the same data of the remaining galaxies/nebulae in the file in order to easyily keep track of the changes I make smile .

Basically I intend to modify all galaxies models inside model.cfg and make all gallaxies dust sprites a bit darker similar to what DoctorofSpace has done for the Milky Way in his addon section. I am not going to change any other parameters nor use another sys texture. So my question is:

- if I *only* change the abs/em parameters in the corresponding section of galaxy model.cfg for *every* galaxy model entry in order to make them a bit darker, will this affect the star seed of every star in every galaxy?

If the answer to this question is yes then I will not do it. I do not want to change the seed.

But I would like to suggest making DoctorofSpace's Milky Way model default for the official SE release as well adapting this model for other galaxies . I find current look of galaxies from inside of them too bright smile . And I know I can reduce the brightness with F7 magnitude/brightness settings menu but this also affects how they look from far / outside.

Obviously I am not talking about copy-pasting DoctosofSpace's Milky Way's parameters all over the remaining entries wink
I will try to dereve a formula from the difference between original and modified parameters of Milky Way and apply proportionall difference to the remaining galaxies.

Edited by n0b0dy - Thursday, 07.04.2016, 16:10

Player1Date: Thursday, 07.04.2016, 15:56 | Message # 2117
Astronaut
Mexico
I don't like at all the new look of Ankaa 9. In 0.972 it was a template Terra, without moons
Now it has a moon, but it's scorched because tidal heating (I saw the codes and it's true) burning at 827 ºC :(

And I have a question: What does that squares and circles mean at the orbits? The only thing I know is it helps to edit orbits, and nothing else

Attachments: 5862742.jpg(124Kb)

"We used to look up at the sky and wonder at our place in the stars, now we just look down and worry about our place in the dirt"
-Joseph Cooper, "Interstellar"

Edited by Player1 - Thursday, 07.04.2016, 15:59

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 07.04.2016, 16:03 | Message # 2118
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote x264fhdbenchmark ()
here you go
http://paste.ofcode.org/38Kr55T5fyZJSfkubv4hYLu
yes earth like planets have been always like this on this gpu. Yes I have latest drivers. I guess my ancient GPU does not support some extensions :(

It also have strange driver version:
Driver version: Context

Quote Fireinthehole ()
It's already present in the simple mode of lens flares.

No, simple mode uses analytic approximation of the planet shape, ie sphere:) So it didn't work correctly with the terrain.
"Super" mode, which can be enabled in console (set LensFlaresMode 2), takes into account shape of the (partially occluded) sun, but it doesn't work good.

Quote n0b0dy ()
Ok I understand that. I was not asking exactly that. I am not messing with original /data/model.cfg nor I intend to. All I was saying was if I can *only* include the galaxy/nebula parameters that I actually want to change in the addons/model.cfg without *repeatting* the same data of the remaining galaxies/nebulae in the file in order to easyily keep track of the changes I make .

No, you can't. SE will use your galaxy/model script as a new model. But if it have the same name as some of the default models, unexpected bugs may occur. And of course the script for a model must be complete, ie have all fields.

Quote n0b0dy ()
I find current look of galaxies from inside of them too bright

Because they are indeed relatively bright, if your planet is not located in the outer spiral arms, like Earth.

DocasmanDate: Thursday, 07.04.2016, 16:05 | Message # 2119
Observer
Portugal
Quote Heumarkt ()
I turned off the windows page file to increase performance and prolong SSD life

As SpaceEngineer said, you should have some sort of pagefile. If you only have one drive, my suggestion is to create a ramdrive and place a minimal pagefile there (mine is 16 MB). To further spare your SSD from heavy use you can change the TEMP system variable and browser caches to point to the ramdrive (this may have some caveats).

MosfetDate: Thursday, 07.04.2016, 16:28 | Message # 2120
World Builder
Italy
Player1, those circles and squares are marking the Pericenter and Apocenter of the orbit, or its nearer and further points.
Specially useful when you actually try to achieve a stable orbit.

"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Douglas N. Adams
My mods
Asus x555ub: cpu i5-6200u - ram 4gb - gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

eatthepathDate: Thursday, 07.04.2016, 16:47 | Message # 2121
Observer
Pirate
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Quote eatthepath ()
Regarding the new addon system: I'd like to be able to remove essentially all catalog objects except galaxies, to make way for a customized fictional galaxy. I script with remove lines for every star in the stock files isn't really practical, is there a recommended way to achieve this under the new system?

LOL what a strange idea. I don't thing there will be many people who want to install such "addon".
There is indeed only one way to do this with addon system - write a huge script with Remove command for each star. I didn't expect what anyone will need such function :)
There is another way - via patch system. Make a pak file, which contains empty files with the same names as default - stars/HIPPARCOS.csv, stars/Stars-bin.sc, etc. Put this file into data/catalogs, and Se will load files from this pak instead of Catalogs0974.pak. But files are empty, so it will load nothing.

Alright, that's about what I thought I'd have to do, and have been doing so far. It's not really an add-on I expect to get a lot of uses, it's mostly for myself and one friend. Gives a bit more control in producing desired skyboxes and such, placing things in distant galaxies is problematic in the current system.

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 07.04.2016, 16:53 | Message # 2122
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote the_nerervarine ()
Speaking of finding stars that are way to large I found this procedural Brown Dwarf that is 6 solar radii. (I've seen rather large brown dwarfs like this before but this is the first one I found that was not orbiting a black hole in a cluster or galactic center)
https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos....1_o.jpg

LOL it's 6 diameters of Earth.

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 07.04.2016, 16:56 | Message # 2123
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Because they are indeed relatively bright, if your planet is not located in the outer spiral arms, like Earth.

He means the galaxy sprites are rendered too brightly when the galaxy is viewed from inside, compared to the default magnitude limit, and I agree. 3.0 would be a much more realistic value than 4.0.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

n0b0dyDate: Thursday, 07.04.2016, 16:59 | Message # 2124
Explorer
Pirate
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
No, you can't. SE will use your galaxy/model script as a new model. But if it have the same name as some of the default models, unexpected bugs may occur. And of course the script for a model must be complete, ie have all fields.

But I did. And it worked wacko . I just left only the modified Milky Way script (all of it of course) and deleted all other scripts. When I restarted SE everything loaded properly. Milky Way was modified and all other galaxies looked the same. Anyway, so if I want to do it ''properly'': I copy/paste original model.cfg from data\models\galaxies into addons\models\galaxies and change parameters of the galaxy that I want to change, leave all other galaxy scripts unchanged and save under a different filename? e.g. ''mygalmodel.cfg''. Or do I leave the filename unchanged?

Quote SpaceEngineer ()

But the galactic core and even the galactic disk seems too bright with default script even from earth / sol system. Anyway
if the seed changes I probably want change any parameters..

n0b0dyDate: Thursday, 07.04.2016, 17:05 | Message # 2125
Explorer
Pirate
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
He means the galaxy sprites are rendered too brightly when the galaxy is viewed from inside, compared to the default magnitude limit, and I agree. 3.0 would be a much more realistic value than 4.0.

Yes that;s what I am trying to say. But if you change the magnitude limit from the F7 menu, galaxy looks too dim from outside. Maybe an auto-adjustment from 4 to 3 when you are inside galaxy and back to 4 when moving outside.. unsure

SalvoDate: Thursday, 07.04.2016, 17:29 | Message # 2126
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
The bug with lens flares didn't appeared this time, I can't reproduce it anymore. sad

But I found another one, that still I can't reproduce, but I've taken a screenshot:

It's pretty weird, not sure why it happened. Maybe it's because I had procedural planets deactivated in view, but now it doesn't happen anymore...

Attachments: 6476586.jpg(31Kb)

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 07.04.2016, 17:52 | Message # 2127
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote n0b0dy ()
But I did. And it worked

Well, I checked and indeed it may work. I had some test code, which should choose the most recent model for the galaxy, and I forgot to finish it or disable it out smile In some reason, it worked)) I will finish it, so yes, it will be possible to override the galaxy model.
What will not work, is updating of the part of the script, ie only certain parameters.

Quote n0b0dy ()
Or do I leave the filename unchanged?

File name doesn't matter.

Quote n0b0dy ()
Anyway
if the seed changes I probably want change any parameters..

Not seed, but the distribution of stars in the galaxy. It is defined by SysTexture, so if you don't change it, stars will not change too.

Quote n0b0dy ()
Yes that;s what I am trying to say. But if you change the magnitude limit from the F7 menu, galaxy looks too dim from outside. Maybe an auto-adjustment from 4 to 3 when you are inside galaxy and back to 4 when moving outside..

Because galaxies are dim in reality. Did you saw the Andromeda galaxy with a naked eye? If yes, then you must know, what that you are see, is just the galaxy's core. It's spiral arms are invisible for a naked eye, if we could see them, the galaxy would by 6 times bigger than the full Moon.
Galaxies in SE are indeed overbrighten, because otherwise they simply will be almost invisible. Only core will be visible form outside, and "milky way" from inside the disk.

Quote Salvo ()
But I found another one, that still I can't reproduce, but I've taken a screenshot:

LOL. Is it in the conformation dialog for destroying a ship?
EDIT: yes this bug happens after you trying to activate Oculus rift or shutter mode. Message box changes it's style and didn't restore back.
EDIT2: Fixed.

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 07.04.2016, 20:59 | Message # 2128
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Important notice about mods. If you put a file named "path/name.ext" into pak file, and after that someone make another mod with the same file "path/name.ext" in the pak file, it will override your file. So try to give unique names to your files! For example, instead of "galaxies/models.cfg" use "galaxies/KexittModels.cfg".
This mechanism also can be used to make a patch for a mod in a form of small pak file with files overriding some files in original pak.

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 07.04.2016, 21:18 | Message # 2129
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Ok, today fixes. No mere need to report these bugs:

Changes:
- Ship refbody, target and autopilot stage are saved to the config
- ClipHeight is moved to main.cfg and changed automatically based on reversed depth buffer support at first launch
- Docking ports are updated in real-time in the Ship editor
- Camera turn smoothing can be adjusted in user.cfg, 0 (disabled) by default
- Right side toolbar do not overlap the selected object's info table

Bugfixes:
- Fixed locked ship model orientation while in warp
- Fixed flipping of the warp effect
- Fixed ship thrusters firing while docked
- Fixed bugs with engine effects in editor
- Fixed lens flares checkbox
- Fixed docking port of the Shuttle spacecraft
- Fixed initialization of the sound effects volume
- Fixed bug with selection of the Sun
- Fixed a bug with message box buttons
- Fixed detail textures on planets with real textures
- Fixed bug with non-loading galaxy/nebula model mods if they are packed into pak file

HeumarktDate: Thursday, 07.04.2016, 21:19 | Message # 2130
Observer
Group: Newbies
Germany
Quote Mosfet ()
Heumarkt, what is your graphic card and the VRAM? I think this could help understanding the issue. Did you update the drivers?

The card is the MSI R9 380 GAMING 4G with 4 GB VRAM. I use the latest available AMD drivers.

Quote SpaceEngineer ()
It's not safe to completely disable page file in Windows, even if you have 32 GB of RAM. Better to move it on HDD, if you want to save SSD.

No offense, it's your program and you decide how to code it. But I've been running my win7 PCs with disabled page file for 5 or 6 years now that way. In all that time I had problems with two applications: First Battlefield 3. However, that was still with only 6 GB of RAM, not 16, so that could be the reason. Second, Space Engine.

So I think, it's more of a software issue and not a windows issue. In fact, I never have any crashes and I play a lot of 3D games, use 3 virtual machines at a time, etc.

Just wanted to ask if that SE behaviour is known. But it's no problem - I'll just turn on the page file before starting SE. (unfortunately don't have HDD any more)

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Page 142 of 221«12140141142143144220221»
Search: