Page 115 of 221«12113114115116117220221»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
cah9tlanDate: Saturday, 27.02.2016, 10:59 | Message # 1711
Observer
Group: Users
Pirate
Hello,
I would love to see some very very basic instruments - navigational features in new release . Such as:

1. COMPASS OR SOME ANALOGUE (named otherwise for disambiguation) on round objects, planets and moons (excluded maybe several small objects like asteroids with no stable axis) with four cardinal points based on lat/long coordinates which are already implemented by the way. WHY DO ONE NEED THAT? Personally landing on big planet (even our home Earth) I'm feeling like newborn little mouse, without having a basic idea of my current direction (vector) and it severely spoils any exploring pleasure.

2. LANDING INTERFACE where you can easily enter lat/long coordinates and splash into precisely the same spot you've just assigned. Doing it through console have its own inaccurateness especially in longitude and it needs a bit of simplest interface . WHY DO ONE NEED SUCH A THING ? I won't lie from time to time I'm using SE for educational purposes like home planetarium to predict the moon, to determine the stars on night sky looking through my window (I've got some android apps for that too, but with SE it goes much cooler :)

3. ANY WAY OF RETRIEVING PRECISE CURRENT COORDINATES (like lat/long on the left). In every form in order to tap it out in above-mentioned interface or at least console (in that case in console format). FOR EXAMPLE, to mark your favourite spot on Mars or Triton or whatever and land accurately there next time without any trouble .

ps. Thank you for reading. I know, It's a ton of letters wacko .

Edited by cah9tlan - Saturday, 27.02.2016, 11:37

Brett001Date: Saturday, 27.02.2016, 16:14 | Message # 1712
Space Pilot
Hungary
cah9tlan

It's good idea. :)

SpaceEngineer!

When expected the volumetric clouds in the SE? About?

Edited by Brett001 - Saturday, 27.02.2016, 16:16

JamjarsDate: Saturday, 27.02.2016, 16:48 | Message # 1713
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Greetings fellow Spacelings. I'm here today with a bit of a star size bug. I went to visit the Milky Way's center and said to myself "Hmm, some of these stars seem really bright" and upon inspecting a few, I found they have a diameter of 39 AU! That's 4200 times the Sun's diameter. These are definitely new as I have visited Sag A* many, many times before RC1.

Those two bright stars in to the left of the nearest one are identical in diameter. For perspective, the top one is .065 ly away, and the bottom is .125 ly away. Even without much mental comparison, I can tell those are some extremely big, luminous stars.

I've seen huge stars - the biggest I have personally found was about 1900 times our Sun's diameter. Certainly an outlier, because the majority of orange hypergiants I find are in the 1000-1200x solar diameter range. So, my question is: is anyone else seeing these "ultragiant" stars?

Thank you for your time, and I hope you're all doing well.

Edit 1: After further inspection, it seems some galaxies don't have their core orbiting stars, i.e. Andromeda and Triangulum. Also, the majority of stars surrounding Sag A* are identical blue main sequence stars. Perhaps this is a bigger issue than just overly huge stars, and a problem with the centers of some catalog galaxies.

Edited by Jamjars - Monday, 29.02.2016, 00:42

Kubacki99Date: Saturday, 27.02.2016, 21:42 | Message # 1714
Observer
Group: Newbies
Poland
Ummm, I think it's not normal

and pressing gtrl+g on the galaxies doesn't takee you exactly to the central black hole (at least in Milky way and Andromeda), or black holes aren't in the centres.

parameciumkidDate: Monday, 29.02.2016, 01:20 | Message # 1715
Explorer
United States
Okay so something's got me puzzled.
All this time I thought SpaceEngine was a 64-bit application, but the 0.9.7.4 RC1 I have installed is showing up in Task Manager as "SpaceEngine.exe *32". Is this patch 32-bit only, did I install it wrong, or was SpaceEngine always 32-bit (in which case do any plans exist to make it 64-bit)?

Intel HD Graphics 4000 ;P

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Monday, 29.02.2016, 01:51 | Message # 1716
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote parameciumkid ()
was SpaceEngine always 32-bit

yes

Quote parameciumkid ()
do any plans exist to make it 64-bit

no

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

cah9tlanDate: Monday, 29.02.2016, 02:11 | Message # 1717
Observer
Pirate
Some interesting fact I have just encountered. I've been running SE rc1 on my tweaks in main.cfg off the first run. And it also crashed almost each time after 10-20 mins. And I said what the hell, I should run it on default author's cfg.

So, Well ... How should I put it. Imagine my astonishment when I've started SE on default (deleted cache, original main.cfg and so on) and it's not even started. Crashed on site.

Live and learn. angry

SalvoDate: Monday, 29.02.2016, 07:16 | Message # 1718
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Quote parameciumkid ()
any plans exist to make it 64-bit

In C++ it's not so hard to switch from 32-bit to 64-bit, I don't know if there are some functions/libraries that would not be working anymore, but usually it's not such a big problem. Anyway, I'm not even sure if there would be so many benefits to justify the release of two different versions (x64 and x86).

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

InariusDate: Monday, 29.02.2016, 07:53 | Message # 1719
Explorer
France
SpaceEngineer!

@Brett001 : Don't ask. He can't know. So you can't either. This kind of feature takes a lot of time, and probably requires a lot of other thing you don't even know.
For now, the focus is on Release Candidate 2, to give us a clean patch at last, with less bugs, more features.
Adding new features can wait (a little more)
Moreover, I find the general tone and the use of bold a little aggressive. Remember that you haven't paid for Space Engine, and that he makes it alone.

Brett001Date: Monday, 29.02.2016, 11:05 | Message # 1720
Space Pilot
Hungary
Moreover, I find the general tone and the use of bold a little aggressive. Remember that you haven't paid for Space Engine, and that he makes it alone.

There was no such intention. I just inquired. Bold characters because better separated from my message to cah9tlan. smile

JackDoleDate: Monday, 29.02.2016, 14:35 | Message # 1721
Star Engineer
Germany
Inarius,
it is actually standard here to write the name of the addressed user in bold.

In fact, this is done automatically when you click on the user name above the avatar image.
It is then inserted in bold font in the edit window.

But the exclamation mark behind the name is too much! wink

But otherwise you're right:

Brett001:
Never ask for a release date! angry tongue biggrin

Don't forget to look here.

Edited by JackDole - Monday, 29.02.2016, 14:38

FireintheholeDate: Monday, 29.02.2016, 14:58 | Message # 1722
Pioneer
Group: Translators
Sweden
Inarius, JackDole, I agree with you. A better questions would be: "Have you started working on volumetric clouds?". That sort of questions doesn't put as much pressure on SpaceEngineer.

But that question is kind of useless anyway since SpaceEngineer will inform us about such an awesome progress.

Love SpaceEngine!

parameciumkidDate: Monday, 29.02.2016, 17:42 | Message # 1723
Explorer
United States
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()

Quote parameciumkid ()
was SpaceEngine always 32-bit

yes

Quote parameciumkid ()
do any plans exist to make it 64-bit

no

I now understand why it keeps crashing due to running out of memory despite my 12 GB of RAM. :\

Intel HD Graphics 4000 ;P

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 29.02.2016, 19:44 | Message # 1724
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote cah9tlan ()
3. ANY WAY OF RETRIEVING PRECISE CURRENT COORDINATES (like lat/long on the left). In every form in order to tap it out in above-mentioned interface or at least console (in that case in console format). FOR EXAMPLE, to mark your favourite spot on Mars or Triton or whatever and land accurately there next time without any trouble .

You may save locations in the F6 menu for this.

Quote Jamjars ()
I found they have a diameter of 39 AU! That's 4200 times the Sun's diameter.

Quote Jamjars ()
Also, the majority of stars surrounding Sag A* are identical blue main sequence stars.

Sagittarius A* system is made in catalog, so this is may be due to incorrect/missing data.

Quote Jamjars ()
After further inspection, it seems some galaxies don't have their core orbiting stars, i.e. Andromeda and Triangulum.

Some galaxies also have cataloged central black holes, but without orbiting stars. SE do not generate them procedurally.

Quote Kubacki99 ()
and pressing gtrl+g on the galaxies doesn't takee you exactly to the central black hole (at least in Milky way and Andromeda), or black holes aren't in the centres.

Second. Catalog black hole cannot be placed precisely in the center of a galaxy due to rounding errors.

Quote parameciumkid ()
in which case do any plans exist to make it 64-bit

SE don't need 64 bit, it never uses more than 2-3 Gb of RAM. Out of memory is an issue of default C++ memory manager - it can't release free memory blocks to the system, so aplication keep consuming virtual memory, despite what real RAM usage is just 2 Gb. Crash occurs then virtual memory size reaches 4 Gb. I will implement my own memory manager in future updates, but before that I reduced memory requirement and optimized some stuff to keep RAM usage below 3 Gb.

Quote Salvo ()
In C++ it's not so hard to switch from 32-bit to 64-bit

No, it's hard. SE uses pointers everywhere, and switch to 64 bit means what pointers must be changed to 64 bit also, manually through entire code. Pointers are stored in various structures, some of which must have fixed size, pointer mathematics is used in many places, etc.

Quote Salvo ()
I don't know if there are some functions/libraries that would not be working anymore

And also this. I have to find and compile 64-bit versions of all libraries used in SE (http://en.spaceengine.org/index/license/0-30)

Quote Brett001 ()

I don't know.

the_nerervarineDate: Monday, 29.02.2016, 21:19 | Message # 1725
Space Pilot
United States
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
SE don't need 64 bit, it never uses more than 2-3 Gb of RAM.

That blows my mind that SE only needs 2 or 3 gigs to run

AMD FX-8320 8 core @4.0ghz , AMD R9 290 4GB, 8GB DDR3 @1866mhz, 1TB Hard Drive

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Page 115 of 221«12113114115116117220221»
Search: