[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Procedural Galaxies and Size Generation
Procedural Galaxies and Size Generation
TalismanDate: Thursday, 27.10.2011, 22:55 | Message # 1
Pioneer
Group: Users
United States
After reading a bit SpaceEngineer is planning on adding procedural galaxies which is awesome! I was just wondering, what about supernova? 1 out of 40 galaxies could have a supernova in them, which should be pretty much visible from almost every part of the galaxy and such, I think that would be neat.

Also what's the maximum size a galaxy can be? And what about a star? From some research I've found that stars could hypothetically be 25 AU in diameter, which is basically the maximum size a star can be, but I've never found any stars in spaceengine that are over 12 AU in diameter. Is there a limit or something? I think it should be possible for the engine to generate such stars but they should be very rare.

Edited by Talisman - Friday, 28.10.2011, 07:56

SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 28.10.2011, 14:07 | Message # 2
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Supporting of supernovae requires implementing of variable stars, but it's planned.

Maximum size of a galaxy is about 1 million light years - for giant elliptical galaxies in the center of the galaxy clusters.

Maximum size of star is 20-25 AU. SpaceEngine may generate it, or may not at all - I don't know. Because stars are generated by luminosity (the octree algorithm requires it), then spectral class is generated, and then the radius is calculated from luminosity and temperature. Anyway, in such cases, big stars are very rare, the probability of finding them is quite low.

TalismanDate: Thursday, 24.11.2011, 08:32 | Message # 3
Pioneer
United States
I tried very hard searching for super large stars in a couple galaxies (scanning them quickly with max magnitude) and found that the biggest stars generated seem to be around 11-12 AU diameter (Type M5), I haven't found anything bigger then 12 AU, I don't think they exist in the engine.

Added (24.11.2011, 11:32)
---------------------------------------------
Is there a better way to search for big stars? Perhaps some kind of hidden magnitude setting? I've just been finding galaxies and increasing magnitude until I see a couple of red dots, which are usually large red giants, then I check their size but is there an easier way? And perhaps this isn't the best way to search for massive red giants.

Also, it seems the average "max" size of red giants has gone down slightly in 0.95.

Edited by Talisman - Saturday, 29.10.2011, 06:15

MarcusDate: Saturday, 10.03.2012, 23:17 | Message # 4
Astronaut
United Kingdom
You probably know about it, but VY Canis Majoris is 18AU in diameter. It's not procedural, but it's there if you wanna go there. Quite boring though; no orbiting planets or anything. But that's probably not what you mean.

AMD Phenom II x4 960T @3.6GHz
8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Kingston Hyper X Blu
MSi R6850 Cyclone 1GD5 950MHz Core 1150MHz Mem
Gigabyte GA-880GM USB 3 motherboard AM3+

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Procedural Galaxies and Size Generation
Page 1 of 11
Search: