[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 52 of 70«1250515253546970»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress - 0.9.7.2
Work progress - 0.9.7.2
InariusDate: Sunday, 09.11.2014, 21:46 | Message # 766
Explorer
Group: Local Moderators
France
The idea of 'it's unrealistic so let's not do it" is biased, considered that you can find exotic life flying in gaz supergiant.

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 09.11.2014, 21:59 | Message # 767
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Life in the upper atmosphere of a gas giant, while unlikely, is permitted by known laws of chemistry. But what life-bearing chemistry would be active at over 1000 °C? SE is supposed to represent the universe as it really exists, to the greatest degree possible according to current scientific knowledge. "It's unrealistic so let's not do it" is a perfect reason to not do something.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

FaceDeerDate: Sunday, 09.11.2014, 22:47 | Message # 768
Space Pilot
Group: Users
Canada
In fairness, there are some non-chemistry-related reasons why "floaters" are kind of implausible. I for one turned the probability of gas giant life waaaay down near zero in my copy of Space Engine, and imagine that those few times I still encounter it are the result of highly unusual chains of events.

Perhaps that would be best for some of these other hypothetical forms of life too, give them separate probability ratings in the configs so they can be tweaked. There's very little solid basis for setting these probabilities to specific numbers anyway, IMO.

As a final note before this sub-discussion gets declared completely off topic (which it kinda is), this Wikipedia article is a good source for considering alternative biochemistries from a realistic perspective - many of the ones listed have good citations. Personally, I'm hoping to see machine life eventually show up in Space Engine. smile

CesrateDate: Monday, 10.11.2014, 14:18 | Message # 769
Astronaut
China
Quote Inarius ()
The idea of 'it's unrealistic so let's not do it" is biased, considered that you can find exotic life flying in gaz supergiant

SpaceEngine is actually not a science-fiction simulator.

InariusDate: Monday, 10.11.2014, 14:46 | Message # 770
Explorer
France
Quote Cesrate ()
SpaceEngine is actually not a science-fiction simulator.

I didn't say that. I just said that refusing to consider silicon-based life (considering it's SF) when you accept the idea of flying life in gas supergiant atmosphere...
I'm not for silicon (or sulphur) based life in SE, it was just a remark.

EDIT : Concerning the new planet presentation feature, it seems on the video that you can move freely between planets. Can you move one the planet and (threfore) see the others aligned ? It would be great for easy eclipses, but not very natural ! Great feature, anyway, as usual !

Edited by Inarius - Monday, 10.11.2014, 21:13

MosfetDate: Monday, 10.11.2014, 14:50 | Message # 771
World Builder
Italy
May I declare this part of discussion completely off-topic? tongue

please continue here, pretty please

"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Douglas N. Adams
My mods
Asus x555ub: cpu i5-6200u - ram 4gb - gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

Edited by Mosfet - Monday, 10.11.2014, 14:54

DarkcloakDate: Tuesday, 11.11.2014, 01:30 | Message # 772
Astronaut
United States
All of these additions look incredible! I can't wait to play with that new planet chart! Also, lava. Very cool. <--- See what I did, there? "Awesome" is the only brush that my tired brain can conjure up to paint an accurate portrait of my glee. ... I know a comma fell off the punctuation truck on the way to the end of the previous sentence. Also, the grammar train derailed. Yay for SE!!!

Edited by Darkcloak - Tuesday, 11.11.2014, 01:34

giftDate: Tuesday, 11.11.2014, 01:41 | Message # 773
Space Pilot
United States
Planet chart yay now I can know what's bigger and smaller. And these commets about silicon life is so off topic. Can any body talk about the planet chart.

FaceDeerDate: Tuesday, 11.11.2014, 05:00 | Message # 774
Space Pilot
Canada
I've got a question about the planet chart. smile Could we have an option to sort the planets in order of orbital radius instead of by size? I often see charts of the solar system that do that, so it seems like it could be a useful option and not too hard to add. Moons could be put in a vertical line above the planets they orbit, also in order of orbital radius.

Edited by FaceDeer - Tuesday, 11.11.2014, 05:12

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 11.11.2014, 06:17 | Message # 775
Cosmic Curator
United States
Good suggestion smile I'd like to have this option too

My SE mods and addons

InariusDate: Tuesday, 11.11.2014, 10:32 | Message # 776
Explorer
France
I support this smile

second-ichDate: Tuesday, 11.11.2014, 10:50 | Message # 777
Space Pilot
Germany
Me too. And I would find it useful if the moons and asteroids still would orbit around their planets. Maybe with an option that you can turn on and off.

JCandeiasDate: Tuesday, 11.11.2014, 14:07 | Message # 778
Pioneer
Group: Translators
Portugal
Quote FaceDeer ()
Could we have an option to sort the planets in order of orbital radius instead of by size? I often see charts of the solar system that do that, so it seems like it could be a useful option and not too hard to add. Moons could be put in a vertical line above the planets they orbit, also in order of orbital radius.

That would make for nice visualizations, no doubt, but wouldn't it be a little redundant with the system browser?

They let me use this!

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 11.11.2014, 15:26 | Message # 779
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote JCandeias ()
wouldn't it be a little redundant with the system browser?

Does the system browser show planets and moons simultaneously, and show planets and stars together at the same scale and at whatever resolution and angle you want, and also show asteroids?

Quote second-ich ()
I would find it useful if the moons and asteroids still would orbit around their planets. Maybe with an option that you can turn on and off.

This would be impractical, as they would almost certainly clip through other objects.

My SE mods and addons

second-ichDate: Tuesday, 11.11.2014, 17:22 | Message # 780
Space Pilot
Germany
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
This would be impractical, as they would almost certainly clip through other objects.

Good point!
Maybe we can let them orbit closer to their planet then usual. I think you should realize at first sight which moon orbit around which planet but if you just pile them on their planet it could look a bit funny.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress - 0.9.7.2
Page 52 of 70«1250515253546970»
Search: