Page 51 of 70«1249505152536970»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress - 0.9.7.2
Work progress - 0.9.7.2
JCandeiasDate: Saturday, 08.11.2014, 15:07 | Message # 751
Pioneer
Group: Translators
Portugal
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Did you saw the controls in the right? You can set the radius range (min to max), and choose type of objects to show. I also made this in video.

Yes, I did. I was just wondering if it was based on the whole system or just a subset of it.

Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Binary star (shot was taken from the side, so first star looks smaller than second - this is just because of perspective)

Very cool. I'd suggest (maybe for a future version*) to add the possibility to restrict viweing not just to radius ranges and types of objects, but also to parent/children systems in order for us to be able to see just, say, the Jovian system or Alpha Centauri B's.

*Edited: actually it's best to reserve this idea for a future version as to not delay this one any further.

They let me use this!

Edited by JCandeias - Saturday, 08.11.2014, 16:39

BetelgeuzeDate: Saturday, 08.11.2014, 19:01 | Message # 752
Space Pilot
Group: Banned
Belgium
SpaceEngineer Nice! I like size planets and stars

You make planet to star size smaller to bigger only solar system planets and real stars like Rigel,VY Canis majoris

KospYDate: Saturday, 08.11.2014, 19:31 | Message # 753
Observer
Group: Newbies
France
Sorry if it's has been already asked, but anyone know if hotas will be supported in 0.9.7.2 ? (I only see Joystick support on the first page)
I have a x52 and I will be really happy if I can use the hotas to control speed smile

Edited by KospY - Saturday, 08.11.2014, 19:32

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 08.11.2014, 20:10 | Message # 754
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
HOTAS just means Hands On Throttle and Stick. There is nothing special about something that calls itself a HOTAS setup compared to any other joystick. It's a description and a selling point, not a distinct category of peripheral input devices. The fundamental principles of operation are the same as any other joystick: it has axes and buttons. So yes, it will be supported.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

IdgeliosDate: Sunday, 09.11.2014, 01:37 | Message # 755
Astronaut
Group: Users
United States
A few questions about the lava planets, that may or may not have already been asked:

-Is there cold or forzen lava planets that are akin to Io that will be procedural generated?

-Is there any probability of any extreme forms of life appearing on lava worlds?

-Will this mean cataloged exoplanets currently treated as scorched deserts like Kepler 78b or Alpha Centuari Bb be changed to lava worlds?

Edited by Idgelios - Sunday, 09.11.2014, 01:50

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 09.11.2014, 04:06 | Message # 756
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote Idgelios ()
Is there cold or forzen lava planets that are akin to Io that will be procedural generated?

Io is hardly a lava planet. If you mean will there be cold planets with volcanoes, then yes.

Quote Idgelios ()
Is there any probability of any extreme forms of life appearing on lava worlds?

He has not mentioned any change to the life generation system. But is there any reason why there should be? What kinds of chemical processes which we might call life would even be possible at such extreme temperatures?

Quote Idgelios ()
Will this mean cataloged exoplanets currently treated as scorched deserts like Kepler 78b or Alpha Centuari Bb be changed to lava worlds?

As with all things in the engine, all worlds are treated equally. If the engine calculates that the planet should have a surface hot enough to glow, then it will.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

IdgeliosDate: Sunday, 09.11.2014, 06:29 | Message # 757
Astronaut
United States
1;
I see. Nice to hear, has spacenegineer shown any examples of a procedural generated planet with Io-like characteristics? I like there's ice worlds that resemble Callisto or Europa that get generated.

2;
Maybe sillicon based life? I'm surprised space engine has no silicon life, maybe they'll show up in a later release. However lava worlds seem like a good area for them to me which is why I wondered if spacenegineer wanted to have lava world dwelling life appear from time to time. While I know that silicon chemistry-wise is very, very unlikely to make life the engine so far's shown to be rather optimistic about the existence of life floating about in the atmospheres of gas giants, of which I thought would be exceptionally rare in the universe yet I go to epsilion Indi and find a star system full of jovian worlds that all happen to have floaters.

3;
In that case it sounds likely that the worlds I mentioned should be turned into lava worlds by the generator since worlds like Alpha Centuari Bb orbit in 4 days and have temperatures that make venus look like a tundra.

Edited by Idgelios - Sunday, 09.11.2014, 06:35

WatsisnameDate: Sunday, 09.11.2014, 06:58 | Message # 758
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Silicon-based life is popular in science fiction, but makes almost no sense chemically. Silicon has nowhere near the same level of diversity in forming bonds and structures as carbon does.

second-ichDate: Sunday, 09.11.2014, 09:05 | Message # 759
Space Pilot
Germany
I have just wondered why does the sun in the movie and in the picture have no sunspots?

BetelgeuzeDate: Sunday, 09.11.2014, 09:45 | Message # 760
Space Pilot
Belgium
I think real sun brightness is on on movie and picture when you bright on will no see solar spots

IdgeliosDate: Sunday, 09.11.2014, 14:50 | Message # 761
Astronaut
United States
@watsisname

I thought that changes when on a planet with extremely high temperatures like a lava planet.

I need to learn some chemistry if this is not so!

BetelgeuzeDate: Sunday, 09.11.2014, 15:27 | Message # 762
Space Pilot
Belgium
Will be new planet class "Lavatic" for lava planets?

matyno13Date: Sunday, 09.11.2014, 16:33 | Message # 763
Observer
Group: Newbies
Pirate
Quote Watsisname ()
Silicon-based life is popular in science fiction, but makes almost no sense chemically. Silicon has nowhere near the same level of diversity in forming bonds and structures as carbon does.

Why not Sulphur-based life?

QuietlyConidentDate: Sunday, 09.11.2014, 17:24 | Message # 764
Astronaut
United Kingdom
matyno13, sulpher based life is even less likely than silicon based life

WatsisnameDate: Sunday, 09.11.2014, 20:30 | Message # 765
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Idgelios, the idea of warm silicon biochemistry is very old, going back about a hundred years to when silicon based life was originally proposed. It does not stand up well to modern scrutiny. Indeed, higher temperature is less friendly to silicon life, because then it is the reactions with blatantly inorganic products that become more favorable. A particularly troublesome example of this is oxidation -- there is a reason we do not observe silicon analogues for simple organic molecules in meteorites or protoplanetary disks.

You're actually better off considering silicon biochemistry in low temperature, anoxic environments, because there it has more reactivity and variety compared to carbon, and we avoid the nasty oxygen affinity. It also requires a suitable solvent, such as methane.

If you want to learn about this I'd suggest reading up not on the chemistry, but the biochemistry, and astrobiology. There are plenty of recent articles available on the web. I'd also recommend Astrobiology: An Interdisciplinary Approach by Lunine -- one of the best texts in the field if you can find a copy.

BTW, further discussion on this topic ought to go in the Life in the Universe thread.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress - 0.9.7.2
Page 51 of 70«1249505152536970»
Search: