Explorer
Group: Local Moderators
France
It's a real upgrade then, good work !

second-ichDate: Saturday, 27.09.2014, 12:03 | Message # 557
Space Pilot
Group: Users
Germany
Can someone explain to me what a SDSS+2df is ?

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 27.09.2014, 13:40 | Message # 558
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote second-ich ()
Can someone explain to me what a SDSS+2df is ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloan_Digital_Sky_Survey
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2dF_Galaxy_Redshift_Survey

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

DwardenDate: Sunday, 28.09.2014, 01:47 | Message # 559
Astronaut
Group: SE team
Czech Republic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laniakea_Supercluster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rENyyRwxpHo
http://vimeo.com/104910552 http://vimeo.com/105009816

this is what is with motion, so like 100 to 250k galaxies

Ideas are like ocean w/o borders! https://twitter.com/FoltynD

SanoconDate: Sunday, 28.09.2014, 08:19 | Message # 560
Space Tourist
United States
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
I upgraded SE script engine. Now it can load all planets/asteroids/comets catalogs within few seconds (up to several minutes was needed before). This means that now we may seriously consider making a real SDSS+2df catalog of galaxies:

That is impressive. Although what would be the amount of Hard Drive space for the SDSS+2df galaxy location coordinates within the catalog, about 0.5-1 GB of data? Just wondering.

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 28.09.2014, 10:17 | Message # 561
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
300,000 galaxies are only 30 Mb in text (not binary) catalog.

Gondor2222Date: Sunday, 28.09.2014, 10:23 | Message # 562
Space Pilot
United States
Quote Sanocon ()
That is impressive. Although what would be the amount of Hard Drive space for the SDSS+2df galaxy location coordinates within the catalog, about 0.5-1 GB of data? Just wondering.

Currently, the galaxies.sc file would take about 85 bytes to store each galaxy's name (in a format like "SDSS-208273082"), RA, Dec, and Distance, including spaces and line breaks.

Example:

To do this for the approximately 500 million galaxies in SSDS, this would require 40 000 000 000 bytes = 40 GB. It would take more if you wanted to include magnitudes and colors.

With some sort of compressed file, with just a number ID, RA, Dec, and Dist in binary, you could probably get it in much less space though.

Edited by Gondor2222 - Sunday, 28.09.2014, 10:24

FastFourierTransformDate: Sunday, 28.09.2014, 16:38 | Message # 563
Pioneer
Group: Local Moderators
Spain
With the same reasoninng and supposing 18 bytes for each star, the Gaia catalogue would need around 18 GB!!!!

Amazing amount of information. That excluding stellar conposition and total velocity vector (future versions of SE where stars move).

Adding WISE brown dwarfs catalogue and, asteroid, comets, and quasars to the final SE catalogue would make it around 26 GB.

Is SE capable of adding those inmense catalogues? OMG it would be awesome!!!! I want to explore the known universe!
Vladimir, you surely have to permit this kind of inmense information to make this trully accurate one day.

Talk us more about this new part of the development please, because it's amazing

therealprincebowserkoopajDate: Sunday, 28.09.2014, 17:08 | Message # 564
Observer
Pirate
Quote DJKiran ()
Maybe you could implement this technology to make your worlds more interesting, maybe with structures on them, without being too taxing on the processor -

this would be cool but then again he would need data from laser scans of the entire earth to do that then he can't even do that with alien worlds unless you dint mean that technology exactly thats not really possible

Added (28.09.2014, 16:02)
---------------------------------------------

Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
The Drake equation isn't really an actual equation with known variables though. All the values for (intelligent) life are completely unknown so anything put is just guessing.

well there should at least be city lights on bloop because it is known that there is an intelligent civilization aka the name of the planet is "bloop" and unless we named it that something else must have named it

Added (28.09.2014, 16:08)

Quote SpaceEngineer ()
City lights are disabled at the daytime:

what i have been waiting for! thanks space engineer now all we need is alien city lights take your time I'm not rushing that is if you want to do it

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Sunday, 28.09.2014, 17:23 | Message # 565
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote therealprincebowserkoopaj ()
well there should at least be city lights on bloop because it is known that there is an intelligent civilization aka the name of the planet is "bloop" and unless we named it that something else must have named it

Bloop isn't a real planet. It is entirely made up, so it doesn't "need" lights. Lights on alien worlds would be cool to see, but they aren't as important as other things.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

therealprincebowserkoopajDate: Sunday, 28.09.2014, 18:23 | Message # 566
Observer
Pirate
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
Bloop isn't a real planet. It is entirely made up, so it doesn't "need" lights. Lights on alien worlds would be cool to see, but they aren't as important as other things.

well yes and i guess it isn't as important as the main feature being developed but technically speaking it can also be unrealistic not have alien intelligence beyond earth as it must be able to happen elsewhere in the universe like life but you are right having alien civilizations isn't an important feature unlike on earth where it is important to have city light because we live there and its for realism but I'm just saying is all

Added (28.09.2014, 17:23)
i guess the answer would be similar if bioluminescence is added to put it on pandora since in the movie it does have bioluminescence

SolarLinerDate: Sunday, 28.09.2014, 18:54 | Message # 567
Explorer
France
Quote FastFourierTransform ()
Amazing amount of information. That excluding stellar conposition and total velocity vector (future versions of SE where stars move).

Adding WISE brown dwarfs catalogue and, asteroid, comets, and quasars to the final SE catalogue would make it around 26 GB.

The astronomical amount of data (excuse the pun, I had to do it) that can be processed and used is my #1 thought why I think Space Engine should have a way of downloading data on the fly, from star catalogs to planetary data and terrain imagery. Yes it would need good servers, but for some there is no way they're going to download 50+ Gb of data at once (or downloading 10 Gb by data type), but downloading a chunk of 10 Mb is totally acceptable even for small bandwidths, and obviously all downloaded data would be cached and downloadable separately.

A good working example would be TerraSync from FlightGear. All data is stored server side, and TerraSync runs on the background, downloading data as you fly, cache your starting location and your flight path, if you made one. Chunks in themselves are not heavy (5 Mb), and covers a 10 km² area. They can be downloaded by TerraDownload, by individual chunks, by areas that you selected, or even the whole Earth at once. And when flying, all data that has been downloaded is stored in the FlightGear scenery, and stays there - until a newer version is detected, and downloaded.

custom landing page to share: http://bit.ly/spaceengine

QnziDate: Monday, 29.09.2014, 09:40 | Message # 568
Observer
China
Quote SolarLiner ()
The astronomical amount of data (excuse the pun, I had to do it) that can be processed and used is my #1 thought why I think Space Engine should have a way of downloading data on the fly, from star catalogs to planetary data and terrain imagery. Yes it would need good servers, but for some there is no way they're going to download 50+ Gb of data at once (or downloading 10 Gb by data type), but downloading a chunk of 10 Mb is totally acceptable even for small bandwidths, and obviously all downloaded data would be cached and downloadable separately.

that's a good idea, if a free but reliable server is available~~

Quote Gondor2222 ()
To do this for the approximately 500 million galaxies in SSDS, this would require 40 000 000 000 bytes = 40 GB. It would take more if you wanted to include magnitudes and colors.

I want to know if SE need to put all data into memory at once, or read proper data when we need it?

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 29.09.2014, 12:36 | Message # 569
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote Qnzi ()

I want to know if SE need to put all data into memory at once, or read proper data when we need it?

Currently SE streaming only real planets terrain textures (Earth, Moon, Mars etc). Stars and galaxies catalogs are loaded entirely into the memory, because SE never used huge catalogs. But it is not hard to implement streaming for them. The only problem might be the search function. The database should be loaded into the memory.

Fireinthehole-Date: Monday, 29.09.2014, 12:47 | Message # 570
Pioneer
Group: Translators
Sweden
When will the Solar system planets have procedural textures? Is it very difficult to implement?

Love Space Engine!

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress - 0.9.7.2
Page 38 of 70«1236373839406970»
Search: