Page 34 of 70«1232333435366970»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress - 0.9.7.2
Work progress - 0.9.7.2
DoctorOfSpaceDate: Saturday, 06.09.2014, 14:15 | Message # 496
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
I'm not sure though if this is really needed improvement - on real scenes difference is not very noticeable, but performance hit may be significant on common GPUs.

Although it looks slightly more improved, I would say make it optional for when people render a nice screenshot. Maybe add a little check box in the settings menu or something. A significant hit on performance is not really worth it if the increase in visual quality is negligible.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 06.09.2014, 14:46 | Message # 497
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Or have it similar to current black hole quality options, with just a config line. At most make a console command. I don't think it's important enough to make a GUI option for right now.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 06.09.2014, 18:50 | Message # 498
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote SolarLiner ()
Hopefully one day I'll get to see those Einstein rings in Space Engine ...

You may see Einstein ring in 0.971. It is a circle of infinite warp around the black hole. If you place yourself on a line black hole - distant star, the star will be turned in a ring.

Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
Although it looks slightly more improved, I would say make it optional for when people render a nice screenshot. Maybe add a little check box in the settings menu or something. A significant hit on performance is not really worth it if the increase in visual quality is negligible.

I will make an "uber screenshot" menu where you may choose resolution, projection (normal / fish eye / panorama), and quality options including planet LOD, disabling of the skybox/impostors, and many other options. But this will be probably closer to the 1.0 version.

Quote HarbingerDawn ()
Or have it similar to current black hole quality options, with just a config line. At most make a console command. I don't think it's important enough to make a GUI option for right now.

I already made the console command and the config parameter with the same name.

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 06.09.2014, 18:55 | Message # 499
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Black hole in the Oculus Rift without and with mipmapping enabled. Earlier I made mipmapping for the Oculus warp shader, it improve the quality at the edges of the field of view, as you can see on the second screenshot. But in real Rift you have to strongly skew your eyes to be able to see those regions, so that option would be disabled by default. Console/config variable for it was also introduced.

BetelgeuzeDate: Sunday, 07.09.2014, 08:11 | Message # 500
Space Pilot
Group: Banned
Belgium
WOW nice yahoo I like new black holes <3 Thanks To SpaceEngineer

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 07.09.2014, 21:42 | Message # 501
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
  • Palettes for gas giants and ice giants are splitted into 7 ranges according to their temperature class
  • Palettes for brown dwarves are splitted into 3 ranges according to their spectral type (L, T, Y)

Anyone may help and upgrade this palette file to add more variation to the ice giants, gas giants, and brown dwarves palettes (but realistic only please!). Y class brown dwarfs are not implemented yet, but place for them is reserved (0.666 to 1.000 palette range), and you may add palettes for them (test them on gas giants).
    Attachments: palette.cfg(25Kb)

•  
    Gondor2222Date: Monday, 08.09.2014, 04:28 | Message # 502
    Space Pilot
    Group: Users
    United States
    Quote SpaceEngineer ()
    Anyone may help and upgrade this palette file to add more variation to the ice giants, gas giants, and brown dwarves palettes (but realistic only please!). Y class brown dwarfs are not implemented yet, but place for them is reserved (0.666 to 1.000 palette range), and you may add palettes for them (test them on gas giants).

I made files that create a system of every possible brown dwarf type in a small area next to eachother so anyone who wants to upgrade those palettes can easily test them.

The more massive stars have lower style number, the less massive have a higher style number. L dwarves go from 0 to 0.332, T from 0.334 to 0.665. For example, L3 has a style of 0.333*3/9=0.111, while a T5 has a style of 0.333+0.333*5/9=0.518.
    The stars are very close to eachother, so you can see all L or all T stars at once up close, but I actually put them in separate star systems so SpaceEngine is tricked into not making them shine light on eachother. All 10 Ls are in one group and all Ts are in a second group about 2 AU away. With only a medium-end computer, viewing all 10 stars of a group was a bit laggy, so I decided to not make it so all 20 stars can be seen at once.

To add the stars into the game, "BrownDwarvesStars.sc" should be placed in SpaceEngine/catalogs/stars and the filename added to StarsCatalogs in SpaceEngine/config/universe.cfg, and "BrownDwarves.sc" should be placed in SpaceEngine/catalogs/planets and the filename added to PlanetsCatalogs in SpaceEngine/config/universe.cfg. Also, for some reason the forum is cutting off "BrownDwarvesStars.sc" to "BrownDwarvesSta.sc", so you will need to rename it to "BrownDwarvesStars.sc".

Both files have an area at the end commented out with /* */ which contains all of the Y brown dwarves, since they are not yet in the game.

By the way, SpaceEngineer, how does the "SurfStyle" number work for a planet? I noticed, for example, that a brown dwarf with SurfStyle (0.333+0.5)/2=0.416 does not have a style halfway between the [0.333, 0.5] and [0.5, 0.666]. Instead it seems to have a style the same as 0.4 or 0.45 or 0.35, but randomized.

EDIT: It doesn't seem possible to give L or T class brown dwarves proper coloring in 0.9.7.1- this sort of color is impossible because the red light from the dwarf far outshines any bluish hue given to it. For example, when I created a style that was all (0.0, 0.0, 1.0), the overall color of the star looked like (0.4, 0.0, 0.02) , but the image I linked to is more like (0.4, 0.0, 0.2)

Attachments: 0066470.jpg(45Kb) · BrownDwarves.sc(8Kb) · BrownDwarvesSta.sc(2Kb)

Edited by Gondor2222 - Monday, 08.09.2014, 07:22

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 08.09.2014, 09:08 | Message # 503
    Author of Space Engine
    Russian Federation
    Quote Gondor2222 ()
    By the way, SpaceEngineer, how does the "SurfStyle" number work for a planet? I noticed, for example, that a brown dwarf with SurfStyle (0.333+0.5)/2=0.416 does not have a style halfway between the [0.333, 0.5] and [0.5, 0.666]. Instead it seems to have a style the same as 0.4 or 0.45 or 0.35, but randomized.

Yes it is randomized. First, 0.971 don't take spectral class into account. Second, it don't generate color texture for brown dwarf, only emission one. In 0.972 the rendering of a planets and stars is unified, so it will be possible to make proper render of a brown dwarf. SurfStyle defines only the color texture, thermal glow calculated by SE automatically.

Gondor2222Date: Tuesday, 09.09.2014, 00:17 | Message # 504
    Space Pilot
    United States
    So in 0.972, will the thermal glow act like "ambient" light on the palette colors? Like, if I give a brown dwarf a (0.0, 0.0, 1.0) palette, will it look like (0.0, 0.0, 1.0)? Or will it be a reddish ambient, and make (0.0, 0.0, 1.0) look something like (0.1, 0.0, 1.0) ?

Edited by Gondor2222 - Tuesday, 09.09.2014, 00:22

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 11.09.2014, 17:51 | Message # 505
    Author of Space Engine
    Russian Federation
    The opposition effect - sharp increase of the brightness of the moon at near-zero phase angles:

At the surface it looks like the zero phase glare. Here the 2 screenshots with the different function parameters:

SalvoDate: Thursday, 11.09.2014, 19:04 | Message # 506
    Star Engineer
    Group: Local Moderators
    Italy
    Quote SpaceEngineer ()
    zero phase glare

Simply awesome cool

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

AtmoscatDate: Thursday, 11.09.2014, 21:20 | Message # 507
    Astronaut
    Germany
    Quote SpaceEngineer ()
    zero phase glare

Yippeee! Fantastic thanks for taking the time to research after my suggestion. SpaceEngineer you made my day, err.. week! Can't wait to drop onto the Moon and others in the next version...

PC: Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E8500 @ 3.16GHz, 3.25 GB / 4.00 GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX750Ti 2048 MB VRAM, WinXP Home 32bit / Windows7Pro 64bit

Destructor1701Date: Friday, 12.09.2014, 02:00 | Message # 508
    Pioneer
    Ireland
    Awesome to see that implemented - well done!

The discussion around that feature a few months ago really taught me a few things, and now I notice that phenomenon all the time.

CesrateDate: Friday, 12.09.2014, 04:13 | Message # 509
    Astronaut
    China
    Opposition surge?!

Too
    [Censored]
    Awesome.

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 14.09.2014, 21:03 | Message # 510
    Author of Space Engine
    Russian Federation
    I upgraded the temperature calculation on planets. It now taken into account the internal heat and tidal heating of a nearby objects. So it is possible to find such exotic places like this temperate terra moon orbiting a gas giant that is 93 AU away from a pair of dim white and brown dwarves. Without tidal heating, this moon would have temperature of only 22K.

Also, ESI is now stable, not changing with time, because it uses average planet temperature value, not the current one.

And, upgraded solar spots. I don't like their appearance though (the filaments are actually elongated granule, not a straight lines like here), this may be changed before release or in future versions.

Attachments: 2986685.jpg(175Kb) · 9128043.jpg(535Kb)

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress - 0.9.7.2
    Page 34 of 70«1232333435366970»
    Search: