[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 32 of 70«1230313233346970»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress - 0.9.7.2
Work progress - 0.9.7.2
WatsisnameDate: Friday, 29.08.2014, 23:07 | Message # 466
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
I think I agree with the above views. Obviously do not allow it in the actual game, but do allow the user the option of choosing to use it or not when in Planetarium mode. There are many potential benefits from such a powerful search tool.

The only place where I think it could produce trouble is for challenges where the goal is to find a particular thing, like highest ESI planet, in which case it does feel rather cheaty. A counterargument though is that it makes searching easier for everyone without bias, whereas without it, searching manually favors those with more patience and free time. For 'photographic' challenges, it helps one find a suitable location more easily, but doesn't aid in screenshot skill.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Saturday, 30.08.2014, 00:14 | Message # 467
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
I think as many of these "Cheat" features you can add that make the experience more enjoyable and easier for users are a good thing. You have mentioned many times the separation into a Planetarium mode, sandbox mode, and eventual games. Why not include all these features openly with the current planetarium and remove later or hide as developer options when you begin developing the game(s)?

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 30.08.2014, 00:39 | Message # 468
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote Stargate38 ()
Also, please don't charge people a monthly fee for playing on the server.

He won't.

Quote Stargate38 ()
I want to be able to play it for free (as in 100% free)

You won't.

Quote Stargate38 ()
even if there is an initial, one-time payment

There will be.

Quote Stargate38 ()
PLEASE make it open-source

He won't.

Quote Stargate38 ()
I want to look at the source code and see what the random seed number is for the planets generator.

You don't need the source code to see a single seed number.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Stargate38Date: Saturday, 30.08.2014, 01:22 | Message # 469
Astronaut
Group: Users
United States
What is the seed number then? WHY would I have to pay for the game, if the Planetarium version is going to be free?! Do you think it would be possible to make the game free after hitting a certain donation milestone (i.e. $150,000-200,000)?

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 30.08.2014, 02:02 | Message # 470
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote Stargate38 ()
What is the seed number then?

I don't know, but knowing it won't tell you anything useful since you have no idea what the equations are which process that input.

Quote Stargate38 ()
WHY would I have to pay for the game, if the Planetarium version is going to be free?!

Because developing that game is SpaceEngineer's job. It is what he does to earn money to live. If he can't earn money from it, then he can't afford a place to live, can't afford food to eat, and can't afford electricity or internet. If he can't earn money from it then there can be no SpaceEngine. Do you demand that every product ever made is given away for free? It's not possible.

The Planetarium will be free because it is an educational resource created for the benefit of humanity. No one should be forced to pay for such a thing. But games are unnecessary entertainment products, and in this case would also be much more expensive to develop than just a planetarium and game engine. He needs to be able to make enough money to cover the cost of developing it, which includes paying other people who have helped him, such as content creators, any other developers he may hire, and so on. Most importantly, the money raised from one game needs to be enough to fund the development of the next games or other software products.

Quote Stargate38 ()
Do you think it would be possible to make the game free after hitting a certain donation milestone (i.e. $150,000-200,000)?

The amount of money raised through donation could possibly affect the final cost of the game (i.e. it may be cheaper if more money is donated), but it is very unlikely that the game would be completely free, and if it were, it would require A LOT of donation funds, at least 5-10x more than your example.

My SE mods and addons

SanoconDate: Saturday, 30.08.2014, 04:09 | Message # 471
Space Tourist
United States
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
The Planetarium will be free because it is an educational resource created for the benefit of humanity. No one should be forced to pay for such a thing. But games are unnecessary entertainment products, and in this case would also be much more expensive to develop than just a planetarium and game engine.

As a person who is starting to jump in the game development pool, I 100% agree with this, though if the game version is priced, depending on the content amount I'd pay $20-$35 USD tops. Now even though the planetarium is taking a lot of time and money, making free may have great opportunities. School computer lab PCs are getting so strong they can run this and teach the world how the universe works.

On the other hand, while the game version could be educational to an extent, as HarbingerDawn stated, it is a form of entertainment, a toy.(I hate to burst peoples bubble for saying video games are toys, but sadly it's true.) Knowledge is priceless and therefore, cannot be priced. Entertainment is priced and will always be, for it is not as strong as knowledge itself.

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 30.08.2014, 05:47 | Message # 472
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote Sanocon ()
depending on the content amount I'd pay $20-$35 USD tops

As would I, and I think we can safely assume that it will fall well within that range.

My SE mods and addons

Sev00Date: Saturday, 30.08.2014, 12:13 | Message # 473
Space Tourist
France
I'd be glad to pay even for what is available now to be honest. So much swork has gone into this, it wouldn't bother me.

spacerDate: Saturday, 30.08.2014, 12:42 | Message # 474
Star Engineer
Israel
thank you space engineer and i see that the star browser now can search 30000 stars and not 10000 like we have now smile

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

BetelgeuzeDate: Sunday, 31.08.2014, 13:32 | Message # 475
Space Pilot
Group: Banned
Belgium
Thanks you Space Engineer I like lava planets and hot gas giants <3

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 31.08.2014, 18:55 | Message # 476
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Ok, I made few upgrades:

- A main system's star filter, which work on a star searching stage. The star table is filled only with systems that match this filter.
- A stellar subclass filter (ie G2, G3, G4 etc.)
- A hint with a list of bodies that match the planet/moon filter. Just hold mouse cursor over the table cell, and you will see a list of planets/moons.

I think that's all for now, I must switch to other tasks.

Attachments: 4394480.jpg(594Kb)

spacerDate: Sunday, 31.08.2014, 19:07 | Message # 477
Star Engineer
Israel
SpaceEngineer, amazing! and just want to say: this planet looks awesome!!!

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

n0b0dyDate: Sunday, 31.08.2014, 19:41 | Message # 478
Explorer
Pirate
Very great work! Can I suggest a favour: to include ESI parameter is search filter?

NickWaterfallDate: Monday, 01.09.2014, 22:08 | Message # 479
Space Tourist
Norway
Will you fix the problem with the latest nvidia drivers?

SanoconDate: Tuesday, 02.09.2014, 07:25 | Message # 480
Space Tourist
United States
Quote NickWaterfall ()
Will you fix the problem with the latest nvidia drivers?

Are things like planets not showing on screen or whats going on? because that's whats happening with me, if so, now I don't know if it's Windows 8.1 or Nvidia.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress - 0.9.7.2
Page 32 of 70«1230313233346970»
Search: