Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress - 0.9.7.2
Work progress - 0.9.7.2
kart32Date: Wednesday, 06.08.2014, 21:06 | Message # 361
Space Tourist
Group: SE team
United States
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
I didn't ordered DK2.

That's unfortunate, maybe we can make another stretch goal for donations to get you one. I will kindly donate again.

Any chance once Oculus fixes the SDK you may still be able to integrate support for it in addition to the DK1 support, or is it pretty much required to have one before you can do anything with DK2 and Space Engine?

Edited by kart32 - Wednesday, 06.08.2014, 21:13

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 06.08.2014, 22:21 | Message # 362
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote kart32 ()
Any chance once Oculus fixes the SDK you may still be able to integrate support for it in addition to the DK1 support, or is it pretty much required to have one before you can do anything with DK2 and Space Engine?

I don't know.

kart32Date: Thursday, 07.08.2014, 01:34 | Message # 363
Space Tourist
United States
I see.. On top of it, I believe Oculus is not shipping to Russia or China for whatever reason. (I think it was due to a reseller issue) This is not looking good :'(

Perhaps I could borrow/ship you mine if that's what it takes!

FaceDeerDate: Thursday, 07.08.2014, 04:14 | Message # 364
Space Pilot
Group: Users
Canada
Isn't translational head tracking the main improvement over the previous Oculus model? If so, there's probably not much benefit in supporting it in Space Engine yet - everything is too large-scale for the translational movement of your head to have a noticeable visual effect. Maybe once planet surfaces get higher resolution or flora or something, or there are spacecraft you can move around inside.

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 07.08.2014, 08:26 | Message # 365
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote kart32 ()
Perhaps I could borrow/ship you mine if that's what it takes!

It may be difficult. Anyway, I may purchase DK2 in the same way as DK1 - with help of Antza (order to Finland, when go there and take it).

Quote FaceDeer ()
Isn't translational head tracking the main improvement over the previous Oculus model?

It also have a better display. But yes, position tracking is not very useful in SE. I think I can add its support, with help of someone who have DK2.

Antza2Date: Thursday, 07.08.2014, 22:54 | Message # 366
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
Finland
Quote kart32 ()
I see.. On top of it, I believe Oculus is not shipping to Russia or China for whatever reason. (I think it was due to a reseller issue) This is not looking good cry

Quote SpaceEngineer ()
order to Finland, when go there and take it

This is how me and SpaceEngineer did it the last time. We could do the same with DK2 if necessary.

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

kart32Date: Friday, 08.08.2014, 00:28 | Message # 367
Space Tourist
United States
Awesome, that's great news guys. Also, regarding the positional tracking, as long as there is a "frame of reference" such as a cockpit, (refer to oculus best practices guide) it can be absolutely incredible. My source: Elite Dangerous beta with the DK2, I've been on it all week. One of the best space experiences I've ever had. I firmly believe Space Engine in VR would put it to shame if the VR is done right wink

Edited by kart32 - Friday, 08.08.2014, 00:45

Storm026Date: Friday, 08.08.2014, 18:49 | Message # 368
Observer
United States
I am really looking forward to this update! I do wonder if you could post a picture of the lava up close? oh and since you are also working on seasonal changes you should make sure that for the significant changes like large ice areas melting and refreezing sea levels will fluctuate as the ice area changes. and on some planets if the changes in temps causes oceans to evaporate away completely and then condense be sure the sea levels drop over time and eventually the planet is water free, then as temps drop oceans rise as the water condenses. I hope everything is going well and wish you big time luck that nothing bad happens that hinders development! smile smile

AlessiaCristalloooDate: Friday, 08.08.2014, 19:32 | Message # 369
Astronaut
Italy
no news spaceengineer? i want to know what you are working to! wink

FastFourierTransformDate: Friday, 08.08.2014, 20:16 | Message # 370
Pioneer
Group: Local Moderators
Spain
Quote AlessiaCristallooo ()
no news spaceengineer? i want to know what you are working to!

Me too!!! smile How is going the thing of lava planets¿? We are amazed by your work. Me and my hommies gather toghether to fly over inspiring places every week and think about some astrophysical phenomenas (we enjoy talking about this kind of things but in general we are normal guys biggrin ).

SpaceEngineer, did you thinked about my propositions here http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/21-2070-40894-16-1401370696?

I would like to know what you think. What is possible and what not. Maybe we could help in creating the fractal textures for those different classes of lava planets I mentioned. I don't know if is nearly accurate what I posted because I don't thinked too much, but if you tell me this is possible I can do a very usefull research on the topic (I'm sutdying physics at the university) or maybe just flying around the arXiv tongue
But one thing is crear: there has to be a great variety in real life lava worlds and SE should be capable of creating procedurally all those different classes.

Too many questions guys! Keep in mind that this is a work-in-progress. I even can't know currently what is possible and what is not. Just give me finish the lighting system at some point.

And sorry because of that hahahahaha

Edited by FastFourierTransform - Friday, 08.08.2014, 20:20

SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 08.08.2014, 22:08 | Message # 371
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
no news spaceengineer? i want to know what you are working to!

I'm working on lava. It appear a way more complex than I expected.

Quote FastFourierTransform ()
SpaceEngineer, did you thinked about my propositions here http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/21-2070-40894-16-1401370696?

I thought I gave you an answer... Anyway, very nice images, and some of them SE currently can represent:

In this version I will not implement animated liquid lava layer (like water layer) - it is too complex, because it requires elevation map and smoothing pass. Too many work for now. Planets just will have thermal glow texture - just hot rocks.

spacerDate: Friday, 08.08.2014, 22:08 | Message # 372
Star Engineer
Israel
omg omg omg!!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin cry :'( cry (happy crying) smile biggrin happy

give us more!!

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

Edited by spacer - Friday, 08.08.2014, 22:42

DeathStarDate: Friday, 08.08.2014, 22:47 | Message # 373
Pioneer
Croatia
SpaceEngineer, I thought you were on vacation, so I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw this. I've just gotta say... that that lava is probably the best I have ever seen in a game - and you say that it isn't even finished yet.

Now, related to this since most lava planets would probably spawn around young stars, it would be nice to add a new class of stars, T Tauri stars just so we can have true pre-main-sequence stars? I'm assuming there wouldn't be much to do just to add a new class of stars. I also realise that this is already on your todo list, but I'm just suggesting it so that perhaps the planet generation system can more easily identify systems with these planets?

EDIT: Also, I have another suggestion and a question:

1. Maybe lava worlds should have a smaller cratering factor?

2. Why does the asteroid have lava on it? It does look cool, though.

Edited by DeathStar - Friday, 08.08.2014, 22:52

SalvoDate: Friday, 08.08.2014, 23:21 | Message # 374
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
i want to know

That was rude smile

Even if SpaceEngineer doesn't update this thread very often, he does always work on something, he left his work for this! wacko (I still don't know how he found the courage for doing that, though smile )

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

DeathStarDate: Friday, 08.08.2014, 23:31 | Message # 375
Pioneer
Croatia
Quote Salvo ()
he left his work for this! wacko (I still don't know how he found the courage for doing that, though smile )

I think he just took a year off - I could be wrong, though.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress - 0.9.7.2
Page 25 of 70«1223242526276970»
Search: