Page 23 of 70«1221222324256970»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress - 0.9.7.2
Work progress - 0.9.7.2
HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 25.06.2014, 06:45 | Message # 331
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Select a planet > Main Menu > Editor > Edit planet

The current version has a lot of bugs though, it will be better in the next one.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Wednesday, 25.06.2014, 06:48

SeshinsDate: Wednesday, 25.06.2014, 07:57 | Message # 332
Observer
Group: Newbies
New Zealand
Quote Sanocon ()
also, steam greenlit your project for some time, i'm guessing your not going to place it on steam till v1.0?

I to am interested to hear on how the Steam thing is going.

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 25.06.2014, 13:05 | Message # 333
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote Seshins ()
I to am interested to hear on how the Steam thing is going.

Steam is suspended. Maybe for the next version.

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 25.06.2014, 13:06 | Message # 334
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Detail noise normals, ice specular and water specular in a single shader:

Attachments: 7472458.jpg(283Kb) · 8899552.jpg(449Kb)

Master_RamboDate: Wednesday, 25.06.2014, 13:11 | Message # 335
Space Tourist
Group: Users
United States
:O
I wish I could stare at the images above longer, but the drool is starting to flood my room, and it's only a matter of time before it gets to my desktop and causes it to shut d

VoekoevakaDate: Wednesday, 25.06.2014, 14:45 | Message # 336
World Builder
Group: SE team
France
And what do it makes to put all them in a single shader ? Does it makes generation faster ?

I like the specular noise by the way !

Continue to post screenshots, I'm always blown away !

Want some music of mine ? Please go here !

Edited by Voekoevaka - Wednesday, 25.06.2014, 14:46

FaceDeerDate: Wednesday, 25.06.2014, 16:25 | Message # 337
Space Pilot
Canada
I recall seeing a list somewhere where you noted that the fact that "land" sometimes occurred on Oceania worlds was a bug. I had always interpreted those little white continents/islands as being iceburgs, which seemed like a reasonable thing to have on cooler Oceanias. Any plans for floating ice with the new 3D water? I imagine that'll be a big change from just having a heightfield terrain mesh, but eventually it could also mean accessible oceans underneath ice world crusts so that could be pretty neat.

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 25.06.2014, 18:27 | Message # 338
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote FaceDeer ()
floating ice

Floating ice, or anything truly "floating" (i.e. with nothing under it) is impossible with the current terrain generation system, it would essentially require a complete rewrite.

My SE mods and addons

Master_RamboDate: Wednesday, 25.06.2014, 18:38 | Message # 339
Space Tourist
United States
But will it soon be possible to see the oceans under the big layer of ice in the frozen titans/ice worlds?

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 25.06.2014, 18:49 | Message # 340
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote Master_Rambo ()
But will it soon be possible to see the oceans under the big layer of ice in the frozen titans/ice worlds?

See above

My SE mods and addons

giftDate: Wednesday, 25.06.2014, 20:07 | Message # 341
Space Pilot
United States
Select a planet > Main Menu > Editor > Edit planet

The current version has a lot of bugs though, it will be better in the next one.

thanks for telling me that.

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 25.06.2014, 23:44 | Message # 342
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote Master_Rambo ()

"See" - doubtfully. There will be no light. Only if you submarine will have lamps, or using some sort of sonar to build 3D image.

SeshinsDate: Thursday, 26.06.2014, 00:18 | Message # 343
Observer
Group: Newbies
New Zealand
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Steam is suspended. Maybe for the next version.

Thanks for the reply SpaceEngineer

SolarLinerDate: Thursday, 26.06.2014, 01:14 | Message # 344
Explorer
France
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
it would essentially require a complete rewrite.

Not if you go and create objects that spawns close to the camera and at sea level: you mesh some random icebergs or something, and then specify the up axis. The models does not have to be very detailed; a few hundred poly each is enough, and then if you spawn enough density you'll have a "iceberg roof" that would prevent light from casting into the water (rays would die anyway because of the depth of the water).

Exploring with a submarine the underwater world will be made will be one hell of a ride!

custom landing page to share: http://bit.ly/spaceengine

FaceDeerDate: Thursday, 26.06.2014, 03:24 | Message # 345
Space Pilot
Canada
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
Floating ice, or anything truly "floating" (i.e. with nothing under it) is impossible with the current terrain generation system, it would essentially require a complete rewrite.

That's why I said "I imagine that'll be a big change from just having a heightfield terrain mesh", since you can't do it with just a simple heightfield terrain mesh.

But it would hardly require a complete rewrite because Space Engine already uses more than just a simple terrain mesh for planet surfaces. Clouds are currently done using multiple additional layers of heightfield mesh. An ice cap could be done with a pair of opaque cloud layers that sit just above and just below sea level, pinching together at the edges to simulate a solid 3D mass. Fiddling with the arrangement of the "icecap map" could give polar caps floating on oceans, patchy iceburgs floating around, icefields and glaciers on mountainous terrain or the far sides of tide-locked worlds, or cover the surface entirely for the iceworlds with subsurface oceans. An icecap on a desert world can dispense with the bottom layer of its mesh since it doesn't have anything to float on, or on a Titan where the composition of the icecap could be something other than water that doesn't float.

As an added benefit the TODO list has seasonal changes to ice caps as a desired feature, and making ice caps out of a separate heightfield map like this would make it much easier to vary it over time without having to worry about messing with the solid rock's mesh. A planet could switch all the way from iceworld to oceania if its orbit was eccentric enough.

A more likely candidate for requiring a significant rewrite would be putting caves and other such holes into the existing heightfield. That's on the TODO list too, but I imagine much farther down the priority list than seasonal icecaps.

Edited by FaceDeer - Thursday, 26.06.2014, 15:48

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress - 0.9.7.2
Page 23 of 70«1221222324256970»
Search: