[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 21 of 70«1219202122236970»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress - 0.9.7.2
Work progress - 0.9.7.2
RodrigoDate: Sunday, 15.06.2014, 16:47 | Message # 301
Explorer
Group: Local Moderators
Brazil
Will young planets appear like those lava planets you showed us? That could be used as location based (really close to stars) or age based (young systems).

Also, those young systems could have some sort of disk or nebula associated with it :P

SanoconDate: Tuesday, 17.06.2014, 01:17 | Message # 302
Space Tourist
Group: Users
United States
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
You all wrong smile
Shadow mapping is a technique what uses render the scene depth to a special texture (called shadow map) form the point where light source is located. After this, this texture is used in the scene render pass to determine whether pixel is in the shadow. Using of shadow map texture is only possible in the shader. So:
- shadows of course uses shaders (as I said, all render in modern OpenGL is done throug shaders);
- shadow mapping don't depend on geometry complexity, it drops fps of course but not so significantly;
- shadow mapping is useful for dynamic lights.

Shadows are still don't implemented in SE. I delay it for deferred rendering too. But SE uses "fake" shadows on sunset - it is a simple calculation of occluding of the sunlight by the spherical body of a planet. It makes illusion of "incorrect shadows" at sunset, but it is still better than nothing - without this system you might see lighted mountain peaks even at night side of the planet.

what version of Opengl do you use? My mind is stuck in 1.4 through 2.0 thanks to Blender. (though my pc can handle opengl 4.4) and I was wondering what the offical term for shadow mapping was (prior to this i called it just 'shadows') thanks for this info.

also, im makes sense why your waiting to create shadow maps till you switch to deferred rendering. although make sure to have an option to install a foward render or diferred render version for the low end pcs.

Edited by Sanocon - Tuesday, 17.06.2014, 01:36

SpaceEngineerDate: Tuesday, 17.06.2014, 08:15 | Message # 303
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote Sanocon ()
what version of Opengl do you use?

Unlike DirectX, OPenGL allows to use features from different versions simultaneuosly. So I used features from GL 1.4 to GL 3.3 and maybe higher. I gradually removing older version code and replace it with modern techniques, because this improves performance (even on low-spec PCs) and simply makes the code more accurate and modern. Deferred shading will make the code very clear, small and fast (at least atmosphere rendering will have huge boost), greatly reduces number of shaders used, making adding new features very easy. For example, now I stuck at lava and night side lights so long because huge number of material combinations - all of them must be implemented in a single forward-pass shaders. In order to reduce number of shaders I trying to implement "universal" lighting material - which combine night lights (city/bio), permanent lights, constant thermal emission (lava) and thermal emission driven by solar heat (hot lava planets). This is not easy task, and obviously one complex material will have lower performance than four simple.

SanoconDate: Tuesday, 17.06.2014, 21:20 | Message # 304
Space Tourist
United States
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Deferred shading will make the code very clear, small and fast (at least atmosphere rendering will have huge boost), greatly reduces number of shaders used, making adding new features very easy.

will deferred shading also increase the fps when around a nebula? my nvidia 740m can handle everything but i get a major fps drop when inside a nebula.

Zaddy23Date: Wednesday, 18.06.2014, 05:55 | Message # 305
Space Pilot
Australia
Those lava planets... Those heat lights... so beautiful...
I cri evrytiem cry

Along with fezes and bowties, brown dwarves are cool.

Edited by Zaddy23 - Wednesday, 18.06.2014, 05:58

SalvoDate: Wednesday, 18.06.2014, 11:06 | Message # 306
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Quote Zaddy23 ()
I cri evrytiem

Me too cry

Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Deferred shading ... fast

I know Deffered Shading is much "better" than Forward or Vertex-Lit, what actually changes visually?

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

Edited by Salvo - Wednesday, 18.06.2014, 11:06

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 18.06.2014, 12:56 | Message # 307
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote Salvo ()
what actually changes visually?

No z-fighting, atmosphere scattering on ships models, hundreds of local lights (engines, radiators, lightning, volcano), SSAO, reflections and refraction, perfect 3D water, volumetric clouds and particle effects with smooth intersection with landscape, interplanetary dust and accretion disks with proper blending with planets...

JCandeiasDate: Wednesday, 18.06.2014, 14:52 | Message # 308
Pioneer
Group: Translators
Portugal
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
No z-fighting, atmosphere scattering on ships models, hundreds of local lights (engines, radiators, lightning, volcano), SSAO, reflections and refraction, perfect 3D water, volumetric clouds and particle effects with smooth intersection with landscape, interplanetary dust and accretion disks with proper blending with planets...

Aaand I'm drooling. Abundantly. I'm drowning in my own saliva.

OK, just one question: WHEN?

biggrin

(I know, I know - it's done when it's done. But I wanna!)

They let me use this!

Master_RamboDate: Wednesday, 18.06.2014, 14:55 | Message # 309
Space Tourist
United States
Quote SpaceEngineer ()

I can't wait! biggrin Really looking forward to the next versions!
One question;
Will this fix planets that are really close to their stars?
I imagine the scorched deserts that orbit right next to a red giant with surface temps over 2600k would be nothing but oceans of bright molten lava, even glowing on the night side. Will this be done for next version or later? (same with really young solar systems, especially found in nebulas that may only have many "planetoids" or debris you'd find in a forming system/star)

Right now, scorched deserts just have a really bright white glow on the day sides, I don't know if that's really realistic.

FaceDeerDate: Thursday, 19.06.2014, 03:52 | Message # 310
Space Pilot
Canada
I know that "weather effects" like rain are on the to-do list, so I'm hoping that someday some of those 2000K scorched deserts will have a constant hail of hot sand precipitating out of the rock-vapor atmosphere on their night sides. Wonderfully hellish. smile

second-ichDate: Thursday, 19.06.2014, 09:47 | Message # 311
Space Pilot
Germany
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
For example, now I stuck at lava and night side lights so long because huge number of material combinations - all of them must be implemented in a single forward-pass shaders.

Well, i have no idea how difficult it would be to implement Deferred Shading. But why do you spend so much time to make it run on Forward Rendering if you will implement Deferred Shading anyway and than you have to do all again?

(Note: my English is not very good but i hope you understand what i mean.)

SanoconDate: Thursday, 19.06.2014, 13:00 | Message # 312
Space Tourist
United States
Actually in the deferred shading the only thing that changes is the final shader. (So he wont have to redo the whole thing... that I know of.) Unlike forward shading which focuses on the shading of every single object around you and has to implement a shadow for every single object. Deferred shading just takes the whole scene and shades it in one fell swoop counting everything as one object. Its much faster but it does require more complex mathematics.

Edited by Sanocon - Thursday, 19.06.2014, 13:02

SolarLinerDate: Thursday, 19.06.2014, 21:00 | Message # 313
Explorer
France
Wow, it's been so long since I read this thread ...
I'm amazed by all the new features being made here ! And I cannot wait to see them live!

Anyway, I remember speaking of indirect light being cast by planetary rings; I have been able to replicate a Saturn model with light bouncing off of Saturn rings in Blender, using Cycles.

I don't know if this was resolved or what (kinda TL;DR), but I thought maybe you can use pre-rendered lighting maps that you put whenever a ring is there.

custom landing page to share: http://bit.ly/spaceengine

Ignuus66Date: Saturday, 21.06.2014, 03:42 | Message # 314
Space Tourist
Hungary
Is greater ambient lighting cast onto other planets from lava planets a possibility? (say a nearby molten moon casting night time shadows on the visible planet).

SanoconDate: Saturday, 21.06.2014, 17:37 | Message # 315
Space Tourist
United States
Yes it is, its just a dimmed version of a stars light source. But this could be become a huge problom if there are 10+ lava moons shining on the parent planet and on the other moons surrounding it using the current shader pipeline.

Edited by Sanocon - Saturday, 21.06.2014, 23:46

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress - 0.9.7.2
Page 21 of 70«1219202122236970»
Search: