[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 19 of 70«1217181920216970»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress - 0.9.7.2
Work progress - 0.9.7.2
n3xtDate: Sunday, 01.06.2014, 17:25 | Message # 271
Explorer
Group: Users
Netherlands
And what about procedural night side lights on exoplanets? For instance, there would be no (global) interconnected city lights on worlds with ''unicellular'' lifeforms, but ofcourse they could ''potentially'' exist on worls with ''multicellular'' lifeforms.

That would be awesome too to add up a few models of procedural city lights. Also even with multicellular beings, if the planet is like a billion or two years old it would most likely have not yet evolved to such complex stages. Just a question and or suggestion. Metallicity plays an extremely important role aswell. Metal-poor worlds which dominantly occupy the galactic halo and core regions most likely lack the necessary metals for complex structures...

Maybe this should've been posted in the feedback/suggestion thread, but now where on the subject anyway I couldn't withstand.
Also think about a 10 billion year old planet oribiting a (50% more metal-rich than the Sun) K-type main sequence star. That would have really crazy technological advantages and knowledge... Anyway keepy going on !!! biggrin

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Sunday, 01.06.2014, 18:45 | Message # 272
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote n3xt ()
For instance, there would be no (global) interconnected city lights on worlds with ''unicellular'' lifeforms, but ofcourse they could ''potentially'' exist on worls with ''multicellular'' lifeforms.

I think what is needed for intelligent life to be added, even in the current representation stage, is a full coherent layout similar to the current life setup. A system that differentiates between basic intelligence (no lights), up to stages where you could have intelligent life on all or most of the planets/moons/asteroids in a system. Such advanced forms should probably be extremely rare but they should be there if intelligent life is added.

The Kardashev scale is not a good option for SpaceEngine, at least in my opinion it doesn't give enough information. We need something better and possibly unique to SE.

Quote n3xt ()
Maybe this should've been posted in the feedback/suggestion thread, but now where on the subject anyway I couldn't withstand.

This discussion could be moved to any number of intelligent life discussion threads or suggestion threads as we have had plenty of them. If you can find the most recent one you are more than welcome to bump it and start up a new discussion. You can also start a new thread if you have enough content and information for a proper discussion.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

torcDate: Sunday, 01.06.2014, 20:54 | Message # 273
Observer
Italy
Excuse Spaceengineer, i had a small request but i thought was ignored:
Could you post some screenshot with Oculus rift enabled without UI and menus? if possible something near the athmosphere or on a moon, just for understand the sense of scale you have smile

Thanks in advance.

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 01.06.2014, 21:24 | Message # 274
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote torc ()
Could you post some screenshot with Oculus rift enabled without UI and menus?

He already did this earlier in the thread, you can also see them here http://en.spaceengine.org/blog....2-07-10

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

QnziDate: Tuesday, 03.06.2014, 11:19 | Message # 275
Observer
China
the night light is fantastic, also looking forward to exo-intelligent lifeforms. Will there be procedured cities and farms? I think it may take place according to the land form and latitude and rivers of the planets.

FaceDeerDate: Wednesday, 04.06.2014, 04:49 | Message # 276
Space Pilot
Canada
Quote Qnzi ()
Will there be procedured cities and farms? I think it may take place according to the land form and latitude and rivers of the planets.

No word on that yet. But if we do get procedural civilizations I think it would be a failure of imagination to limit them to familiar Earthlike patterns. Why not citylights only in the ocean, or only on icecaps, or on mountain tops above a certain altitude? Maybe these aliens prefer an extremely narrow band around the equator. Or maybe they only live in the deserts. Maybe they don't have farms at all, growing their food indoors or subsisting entirely on plankton filtered from the sea. Or maybe they are intelligent plantlife and their cities are their "farms". Perhaps they're all concentrated in just one big city, or perhaps they don't have cities at all and their lights are spread in an even haze over the entire surface.

Edited by FaceDeer - Wednesday, 04.06.2014, 04:49

InariusDate: Wednesday, 04.06.2014, 07:50 | Message # 277
Explorer
Group: Local Moderators
France
The need of cities and of farms is in itself deeply anthropomorphic. Why should they need farms, why should they need cities ? We're not sure AT ALL an extraterrestrial intelligence would need those.

giftDate: Saturday, 07.06.2014, 17:28 | Message # 278
Space Pilot
United States
YYYYEEEESSSS.

EnkiDate: Saturday, 07.06.2014, 18:21 | Message # 279
Astronaut
United States
I'd also like to bring up bio-luminescence- you could have "night lights" from planets covered with forests of bio-luminescent plants, etc.

I could not agree more. I am writing a science fiction novel that includes a moon lit only by its vegetation.

"If you arrive at a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong." - Ayn Rand
"It may be that our purpose on Earth is not to find God, but to create him." - Arthur C. Clarke

mikehoopesDate: Sunday, 08.06.2014, 20:45 | Message # 280
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Excellent! SpaceNavigator support is a big #2 on my list (you guys ever try it with Google Earth?), right behind nVidia Quadro support. 3DConnexion products will often be coupled with Pro graphics adapters.

Space Engine 0.9.7.1 starts fine for me, but crashes often when going on autopilot to nearby catalog planets (Mercury to Saturn, for instance...Mercury to Mars is ok) within the Sol system. This started happening after I loaded the hi-res textures. I'll post more details in the troubleshooting section, but I bring this up because I suspect there's a graphics adapter/driver incompatibility, and I've noticed people talking about difficulty with Quadro hardware.

Attachments: main.cfg(8Kb) · 6197592.log(23Kb)

My system: Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, AMD FirePro W5000, Dell U2913WM 21:9 monitor. 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator.

VectorSigmaDate: Monday, 09.06.2014, 04:58 | Message # 281
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Random lightning flashes in clouds would be pretty cool. Perhaps it could be confined to storm structures.

QnziDate: Tuesday, 10.06.2014, 11:59 | Message # 282
Observer
China
Quote FaceDeer ()
But if we do get procedural civilizations I think it would be a failure of imagination to limit them to familiar Earthlike patterns.

yes, that's what I meant to say. But base on current research of earthlike life, there must be something in common. so ratios of possibilities might be set according to different circumstances.

Quote Inarius ()
The need of cities and of farms is in itself deeply anthropomorphic. Why should they need farms, why should they need cities ? We're not sure AT ALL an extraterrestrial intelligence would need those.

The idea may be true. That depends on what kind of universe are we going to generate. There MIGHT be many kinds of completely different life forms over there, yet we are much focused on earthlike life forms. Even astrobiologists in real world appeared far more interested in earthlike life form. We cannot predict patterns of other life forms, but we can introduce earthlike ones as the first step.

Jeroll3dDate: Tuesday, 10.06.2014, 22:22 | Message # 283
Astronaut
Brazil
Io is...is... beautyfull

cry

SanoconDate: Wednesday, 11.06.2014, 06:25 | Message # 284
Space Tourist
United States
WOW I've been gone for too long. First finished controller support, lava, city lights, all within 2 months. you never stop amazing me SpaceEngineer. This program isn't even out of Alpha and yet it's one of the best space explores out there. there are just 2 things that will make it feel complete.

#1. Will there be any form of GLSL? I see the basic shading but nothing more and

#2. Due to me having a dual boot system of Windows 8.1 and Linux I noticed this. Space engine will need a Unix interpreter. Space Engine will not read obj files I made in Blender due to the Unix encoding because 8.1 doesn't support Unix commands.

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 11.06.2014, 07:48 | Message # 285
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote Sanocon ()
#1. Will there be any form of GLSL? I see the basic shading but nothing more and

Look at the system/shaders/ and in the cache/shaders/. You will be surprized how many shaders are used in SE. Basic shading? Atmosphere, eclipse shadows, complex materials, water, foggy objects, black hole warp effect - all this are impossible with "basic shading".

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress - 0.9.7.2
Page 19 of 70«1217181920216970»
Search: