Page 28 of 41«1226272829304041»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress 0.9.7.1
Work progress 0.9.7.1
SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 15.11.2013, 09:04 | Message # 406
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote Destructor1701 ()
From a technical standpoint, is there a reason that the galaxy code could not be modified to rotate? I only suggested it because they are the right-sort-of-shape for PP discs, and I felt a sprite cloud like a galaxy (properly customised) was more representative of the image in my head than a planetary ring system.

If you talk about sprite model, then yes, something like this will be used for protoplanetary and accretion disks. But if you talk about stars in the galaxy - then no, it is impossible to make them move.

astronikiDate: Friday, 15.11.2013, 12:07 | Message # 407
Space Pilot
Group: SE team
Poland
I think the elliptical galaxies models could do for simple discs. That could simulate zodiacal light quite nicely as seen from earth. Although there supposed to be a hole in the disc where the star is

Check out my astrophotography:
http://www.astroniki.fbl.pl
http://www.facebook.com/AstroNiki1

SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 15.11.2013, 15:16 | Message # 408
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Yes, I thought about it. It is a sort of volumetric fog made by pre-computed texture. But problem, as always, with transparent objects. I tried to make a bulge for spiral galaxies using the same effect, but sprites simply incorrectly blended with bulge on background. I think similar issue will be with dust sprites in a proto-planetary disk, with planet's atmospheres and rings.

VoekoevakaDate: Friday, 15.11.2013, 15:45 | Message # 409
World Builder
France
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Yes, I thought about it. It is a sort of volumetric fog made by pre-computed texture. But problem, as always, with transparent objects. I tried to make a bulge for spiral galaxies using the same effect, but sprites simply incorrectly blended with bulge on background. I think similar issue will be with dust sprites in a proto-planetary disk, with planet's atmospheres and rings.

What about using this for zodiacal light ?

(and also, how is this progressing ?)

Want some music of mine ? Please go here !

Destructor1701Date: Saturday, 16.11.2013, 05:31 | Message # 410
Pioneer
Group: Users
Ireland
Thanks for the reply, Space Engineer. Yes, I was talking about the sprite model, rather than the stars. I don't really think the stars have much use in a protoplanetary disc.

As for the gas giant atmosphere examples you posted - beautiful!

Are bump maps generated by the engine for Gas Giants? I haven't noticed them being applied - it certainly helps the realism on Jupiter and Saturn.

And on the subject of Gas Giants, the last time I tried to fly into one, my ship collided with the "surface" layer. Is there a way to turn that off for gas giants?
I know that what you'd see inside wouldn't be pretty, but I'd rather be able to use the new atmospherics in 0.98 for aero-breaking or simply diving inside them.

Edited for clarity, and also because I realised that deceleration requiring aero-breaking to that depth would probably leave my ship toasted.

Edited by Destructor1701 - Sunday, 17.11.2013, 22:22

DwardenDate: Sunday, 17.11.2013, 23:42 | Message # 411
Astronaut
Czech Republic
Quote XaxX-0 ()
ndeed, and the favorite locations save list becomes a mess too, when you start to get hundreds of found planets. The browser should be made to easily navigate through thousands of saved locations, with icons and sortable lists.

don't forget fulltext search

Added (18.11.2013, 02:42)
---------------------------------------------
q: can we expect moons with rings now? Like Rhea? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rings_of_Rhea

Ideas are like ocean w/o borders! https://twitter.com/FoltynD

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 18.11.2013, 00:49 | Message # 412
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote Destructor1701 ()
Are bump maps generated by the engine for Gas Giants?

Yes. They are small.

Quote Destructor1701 ()
it certainly helps the realism on Jupiter and Saturn.

No. Did you ever see a photo of Jupiter and Saturn where shadows of clouds on themselves was clearly visible? I didn't.

Quote Destructor1701 ()
And on the subject of Gas Giants, the last time I tried to fly into one, my ship collided with the "surface" layer. Is there a way to turn that off for gas giants?

No. Atmosphere can't render without opaque base sphere. Anyway, in game you ship will be destroyed by pressure in much higher atmospheric layers.

Quote Dwarden ()
q: can we expect moons with rings now? Like Rhea?

No, debris ring is implemented as improvement of the moon system generator code, so they generated only around planets. Generally speaking, I don't like the results (appearance and especially performance), so I'll probably remove it in the release.

VoekoevakaDate: Monday, 18.11.2013, 01:38 | Message # 413
World Builder
France
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
No. Did you ever see a photo of Jupiter and Saturn where shadows of clouds on themselves was clearly visible? I didn't.

Some bump details are visible on Jupiter's photos. It is rare to see them because 1) close image of Jupiter are rare and 2) those "bump" details are small compared to the size of the planet.

Just look at the bottom side of the image :

There's a storm glowing through the "black haze" of Jupiter's shadow.

I think implementing bump maps for gas giant clouds is not a good idea, as it looks strange (Destructor1701, you can implement a bump map on Jupiter's clouds bt adding "BumpMap "Jupiter/Clouds-01" BumptileSize 256 BumpHeight 10.0 BumpOffset 0.0" to every cloud tag, but the result is pretty ugly). Normal maps on gas giants, visible only frome close distance, should be a better idea.

Edit : maybe that's not a good idea to remove debris discs, as some people found interest in this. Maybe this could be disabled, but with a config in main.cfg to enable this.

Want some music of mine ? Please go here !

Edited by Voekoevaka - Monday, 18.11.2013, 14:59

WatsisnameDate: Monday, 18.11.2013, 03:22 | Message # 414
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
I don't think that's a 'bump' effect, just an effect of image/contrast enhancement with the anticyclones being intrinsically slightly brighter than their surroundings. May possibly also be from slight sensitivity of the camera to near-IR.

Self-shadowing in Jupiter's clouds is almost completely invisible, or I've at least never seen a clear example of it, even in much higher resolution images of the terminator.

RetsofDate: Monday, 18.11.2013, 05:17 | Message # 415
Astronaut
United States
looking at the Jupiter pic, is it possible for gas giants to have a bunch of small storms like that in-game?

Destructor1701Date: Monday, 18.11.2013, 21:43 | Message # 416
Pioneer
Ireland
Quote Voekoevaka ()
I think implementing bump maps for gas giant clouds is not a good idea, as it looks strange (Destructor1701, you can implement a bump map on Jupiter's clouds bt adding "BumpMap "Jupiter/Clouds-01" BumptileSize 256 BumpHeight 10.0 BumpOffset 0.0" to every cloud tag, but the result is pretty ugly). Normal maps on gas giants, visible only frome close distance, should be a better idea.

Yes, I have already done this. I also separated the layers of Jupiter's atmosphere a little more in the scripts, and exaggerated the bump height massively - I wanted to fly a ship down between the layers of clouds. It was pretty cool when I did. I'll post some pictures when I get to my SE machine.

I beg to differ on how pretty it is, I'm rather fond of it. While my modifications to Jupiter are certainly not realistic, I enjoy them, but I understand why it isn't a default effect.

I'm sure I've seen photographs taken by various Jupiter probes showing relief and shadowing caused by the differing levels of the clouds. It's a small-scale effect, but of course it is there - just as clouds self-shadow on Earth, clouds self-shadow on Jupiter. The effect is probably too small scale to be effectively conveyed at the resolution of a bump map, but I sometimes find the procedural gas giants a little flat-looking - a suggestion of texture is all I'm advocating.

Edited by Destructor1701 - Monday, 18.11.2013, 21:44

neutronium76Date: Tuesday, 19.11.2013, 12:36 | Message # 417
World Builder
Greece
Quote Destructor1701 ()
I sometimes find the procedural gas giants a little flat-looking

When 3D-clouds are implemented, they will no longer look flat biggrin

PC1:Core i7 970@3.34GHz, 6 cores/12 threads, 12GB DDR3 RAM@1.34GHz, 2x(SLI) GTX-580 GPUs 3GB VRAM(GDDR5)@1GHz, OS:Win7x64SP1
PC2:Core2Quad X9770@3.2GHz, 2 cores/4 threads 4GB DDR2 RAM@1GHz, GTX-285 GPU 1GB VRAM(DDR3)@1.24GHz, OS:WinVistax64SP2

SpaceEngineerDate: Tuesday, 19.11.2013, 15:44 | Message # 418
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Upgraded controls settings menu. It now have mouse axis binds and sensitivity, and independent settings for free camera (planetarium), ship in atmosphere and ship in space controls. So you may in atmospheric flight mode invert Y axis and set X axis to control ailerons (roll) to make controls like in plane simulators.

Attachments: 6476517.jpg(180Kb) · 3232649.jpg(184Kb) · 1081385.jpg(184Kb) · 9314470.jpg(184Kb)

neutronium76Date: Tuesday, 19.11.2013, 16:01 | Message # 419
World Builder
Greece
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Upgraded controls settings menu. It now have mouse axis binds and sensitivity, and independent settings for free camera (planetarium), ship in atmosphere and ship in space controls. So you may in atmospheric flight mode invert Y axis and set X axis to control ailerons (roll) to make controls like in plane simulators.

Excellent! I always invert axis even in space so when you press 2 (down arrow) you go up and 8 (up arrow), down biggrin

PC1:Core i7 970@3.34GHz, 6 cores/12 threads, 12GB DDR3 RAM@1.34GHz, 2x(SLI) GTX-580 GPUs 3GB VRAM(GDDR5)@1GHz, OS:Win7x64SP1
PC2:Core2Quad X9770@3.2GHz, 2 cores/4 threads 4GB DDR2 RAM@1GHz, GTX-285 GPU 1GB VRAM(DDR3)@1.24GHz, OS:WinVistax64SP2

giftDate: Wednesday, 20.11.2013, 03:30 | Message # 420
Space Pilot
United States
when is this patch released?

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress 0.9.7.1
Page 28 of 41«1226272829304041»
Search: